HTPC Gaming Build: Advice Appreciated (build info and questions inside)

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
Hello, I have been able to pick up some parts from various black friday sales and want to build a gaming PC within the next 1 - 1.5 months or so. I'm mainly building it for Diablo III and the upcoming Counter Strike game, but hope that it will last for a few years with minimal upgrades. After seeing the gaming with a HTPC article on maximum PC, I am considering putting my machine into either the Lian Li PC-C33B, or the Silverstone LC10B-E case, but would like some advice on the matter before deciding. Here are a few questions:

1. What am I giving up by housing the machine in either of those cases? Will they majorly inhibit future upgrades (I have no plans to run SLI, but that's always an option I guess in the future).
2. Do I need to worry about overheating problems if I use a HTPC case?
3. Are those cases particularly noisy? As I said, this case will mostly be used for gaming, but if I could set it up in my living room (my desk is right next to my HDTV) and use it as a media center then that would be fantastic! Obviously, if it was super loud then there would be a problem for watching movies.

Currently I have the following items purchased:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 $150 @ microcenter

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master 212+ $20 @ microcenter

Motherboard: ASUS P8z68-V LX 1155 ATX $60 @ microcenter

*** I got this Mobo because it was $60 off at microcenter, but am not sure of the quality. Am I right in thinking that it isn't able to run SLI? That isn't a huge concern unless I decide to run SLI graphics sometime in the future I guess...

In the MPC article I see that they recommend the Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z. Would that be a better option for me? Newegg has it for $170. That would permit me to get a smaller case, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $100, etc.

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231428

SSD :
OCZ 120 GB Agility 3 $124.99 @ microcenter
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB $179.99 @ microcenter

***I am only going to keep one of the SSDs, but wasn't sure which one was the better deal so the clerk at microcenter told me to buy both and return one later. Do you guys have any input on this? I looked at the Newegg reviews and am a bit concerned about the amount of freezing/issues that both drives seem to have. Maybe it would be better to return both and purchase a M4 or intel SSD?

These are the items I have not purchased, but am currently considering (not knowing a ton about PCs):

Videocard: SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready $259.99 @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102945

Hard Drive #2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB $199.99 @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO650W (P1-650S-NLB9) 650W $89.99 @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207014

Monitor: No idea. Ideally, I want a 27" monitor optimized for gaming

Case:
LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C33B $159.99 @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112228

Silverstone LC10B-E $89.99 @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...stone%20lc10-e

***Ideally, I want a nice and small case, but I'm not set on one of these two (they were just ones I thought looked nice).

I would like to keep the computer under $1500 (including a monitor), but can go slightly over if needed. Any help with this build would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if I am missing key information, etc. I'm looking forward to building this (almost as much as I'm looking forward to playing D3 when it's released!).

Cheers!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
The parts you have picked out look good for the most part. Neither OCZ drive would have been my first choice, but you should keep the Agility because it's a lot cheaper. The Vertex is faster, but it's not 50% faster.

As for the case, I would take the Silverstone over the Lian-Li. They are both laid out very similarly (basically a normal tower sitting on its side) and the Silverstone costs less. An issue you might have with either case is fitting a long card like the 6950 2GB. The Silverstone looks like the HDD cages are removable (or can be made to be removable with the assistance of a drill). Another issue is whether or not the Hyper 212+ will fit, but I am less concerned about that because they look to be pretty normal depth. It would of course be ideal if you can buy one locally so that you can return it if it turns out that either part doesn't fit.

A "gaming-optimized" monitor means 120Hz IMHO. This 27" Samsung is pretty nice (ignore the 3D glasses), but might be a little over your budget.

Miscellaneous other recommendations include:
- Get the non-Dirt3 edition of the card to save a few bucks unless you really want the game.
- 2TB HDD prices are kind of ridiculous, but if you need one, you should get the Samsung F4 over the WD Green.
- Get the XFX 650W at NCIX for $45 AR.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Expandability, cooling performance, and low noise
2. Probably not
3. The cases themselves use 80mm fans, which aren't the quietest. The biggest noisemakers are going to be the Hyper212+ and 6950 2GB when they're really cranking.

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
The parts you have picked out look good for the most part. Neither OCZ drive would have been my first choice, but you should keep the Agility because it's a lot cheaper. The Vertex is faster, but it's not 50% faster.

What would you ideally recommend then? I'm more concerned with building a reliable machine that will last than saving a few dollars here and there.

As for the case, I would take the Silverstone over the Lian-Li. They are both laid out very similarly (basically a normal tower sitting on its side) and the Silverstone costs less. An issue you might have with either case is fitting a long card like the 6950 2GB. The Silverstone looks like the HDD cages are removable (or can be made to be removable with the assistance of a drill). Another issue is whether or not the Hyper 212+ will fit, but I am less concerned about that because they look to be pretty normal depth. It would of course be ideal if you can buy one locally so that you can return it if it turns out that either part doesn't fit.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to find a local retailer that carries the cases. Are there any other cases you would recommend me looking at? While Ideally I want a case with that layout, I would consider other cases. I'd definitely prefer the case to be as small and portable as possible though. I saw a few Lian Li cases that looked like mini towers, but it seems like those were all made for micro ATX.

A "gaming-optimized" monitor means 120Hz IMHO. This 27" Samsung is pretty nice (ignore the 3D glasses), but might be a little over your budget.

Yeah, unfortunately that monitor is a bit on the expensive side. Do you have any other suggestions for monitors in the $200 - $300 range? If you really think that monitor will be significantly better than maybe you could help me shave off some $$ in other places?

Miscellaneous other recommendations include:
- Get the non-Dirt3 edition of the card to save a few bucks unless you really want the game.

Thanks! Will do. do you agree that this is the best video card right now in that price range?

- 2TB HDD prices are kind of ridiculous, but if you need one, you should get the Samsung F4 over the WD Green.

Should I get two 1TB drives instead (or maybe get a 1 TB and then wait for the prices to go down?) or go up to a 3 TB to save some cash?

- Get the XFX 650W at NCIX for $45 AR.

Will do.

To answer your specific questions:
1. Expandability, cooling performance, and low noise
2. Probably not
3. The cases themselves use 80mm fans, which aren't the quietest. The biggest noisemakers are going to be the Hyper212+ and 6950 2GB when they're really cranking.

I see. How disruptive do you think this will be while watching movies/playing games? Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
What would you ideally recommend then? I'm more concerned with building a reliable machine that will last than saving a few dollars here and there.

Intel 320 for low cost and reliability or Crucial M4 high performance and reliability.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to find a local retailer that carries the cases. Are there any other cases you would recommend me looking at? While Ideally I want a case with that layout, I would consider other cases. I'd definitely prefer the case to be as small and portable as possible though. I saw a few Lian Li cases that looked like mini towers, but it seems like those were all made for micro ATX.

The Silverstone GD06B is made with long graphics cards in mind. It has a channel behind the top few PCIe slots for a really long card. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of these cases are really damn big (the GD06B has an 18"x14" footprint), so they will take up a lot of shelf space.

Yeah, unfortunately that monitor is a bit on the expensive side. Do you have any other suggestions for monitors in the $200 - $300 range? If you really think that monitor will be significantly better than maybe you could help me shave off some $$ in other places?

I did some quick math on your components with optimal prices, and I got $965. That should leave enough room in a $1500 budget. Failing that, there is a good selection of 27" 60Hz monitors around $300, for example, this Samsung.

Thanks! Will do. do you agree that this is the best video card right now in that price range?

Yes.

Should I get two 1TB drives instead (or maybe get a 1 TB and then wait for the prices to go down?) or go up to a 3 TB to save some cash?

Two 1TB drives isn't going to save you any money in terms of cost per GB, but it will give you higher performance if you ever do FRAPS or whatever. You can save some money in terms of cost per gig if you go with a $250 3TB drive though.

I see. How disruptive do you think this will be while watching movies/playing games?

Depends on your tolerance I suppose. You will likely not be able to hear it during action scenes, but it will be noticeable during quiet bits.

Thanks again for all of your help. I really appreciate it!

No prob. :)

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks again! This is what I currently have along with prices. Please let me know if any of these prices are less than ideal and if I should wait a while or so to see if they drop (I saw that your calculated price is roughly $100 less than mine):

HHD.: I just grabbed the $70 750 GB drive from newegg (via your "bump"/suggestion in another thread). 2 TB would be nice, but I can wait for the price to go back down again.

SSD.: Intel 320 120GB: $120 AR @ newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&SID=u00000687

Is the speed difference between this drive and the M4 huge? If not, I think I'll go with this one since it's cheaper. And again, you recommend this over the OCZ Agility 3 right?

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB: $252.55 AR @ newegg

PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO650W: $45 AR + Shipping @ newegg
http://us.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59616

Case: Silverstone GD06B: $150 @ newegg

They do not stock this case at Microcenter, but from what you've told me, it sounds like everything will fit in it so I'll get it at newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116992

Is it worth it to pay the extra $20 to get professional opposed to home edition?

Optical Drive: I'm thinking about getting a Blu-Ray drive if I get that nice monitor. It looks like the video card supports 3d along with that monitor so it could be cool to have the option to watch/play 3D movies and games. Do you know if there's anything else I need? If I don't opt to do that I'll just buy a DVD/CD combo for ~$25

Is there anything else I'm missing (e.g, Hard drive tray converters, cables, etc.)?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Is the speed difference between this drive and the M4 huge?
It's significant. The M4 is twice as fast reading; somewhat closer writing. And that's the 160GB Intel drive; the 120GB might be slower.

The Agility and Vertex are Sandforce-based drives. There have been firmware upgrades lately that have improved their reliability. But no one really knows if they're as good as the M4s yet.
Is it worth it to pay the extra $20 to get professional opposed to home edition?
No. It might be to get the home upgrade edition if you have an old XP install you can upgrade or something.

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
The Silverstone GD06B is made with long graphics cards in mind. It has a channel behind the top few PCIe slots for a really long card. Another thing to keep in mind is that all of these cases are really damn big (the GD06B has an 18"x14" footprint), so they will take up a lot of shelf space.

Quick question. Will my PC fit inside of that case? The case specifications show that it's only for mATX

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I agree with Ken on his points. I wasn't counting Windows in my pricing, so that's probably where the $100 difference comes from.

A $65 Blu-ray burner will play 3D movies with the appropriate software. Up to you whether or not that's worth it.

As for the case, you are right that it is MicroATX. The description says ATX, but taking a closer look at the pictures, there is only room for a MicroATX board. I would probably swap out the mobo at MC for the GA-Z68MA-D2H (should be about the same price). The even bigger ATX cases aren't that well-designed for long GPUs. Another option is to just get a nice looking tower like an R3.

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
Thanks for all of the help everyone :).This is what I ended up with.

CPU: Intel i5-2500K $162.74
Motherboard: Asus Z68 P8Z68-V LX $62.99
GPU: Sapphire 2 GB Radeon 6950 $252.32
SSD: Harddrive Intel 320 Series, 120GB, SATA II $119.99
HDD: Hiatchi Deskstar 7K1000.D, 750GB, 7200 RPM 32MB Cache $69.99
Memory: G.Skill 2x4 GB, 1600 Mhz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5 V $29.99
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 $109.99
PSU: XFX Core Edition PRO650W $44.99
CPU: Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212+ $21.49

Total System Price $974.4785

Am I missing anything else (i.e., SATA II cables, Disk Drive trays, more fans[the case only comes with 2] other random connectors)? I would hate to start building this machine only to find out I'm missing a cable or something else minor.

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about my optical drive and monitor. That 27" 120hz Samsung is awfully tempting though...

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Parts looks good to me. The only loose cables you need these days are SATA cables, of which the P8Z68-V LX comes with two. Since you have an SSD, HDD, and ODD, you will need at least 3 SATA cables. The fans that come with the R3 are quite good, so you shouldn't need any extras.

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
Parts looks good to me. The only loose cables you need these days are SATA cables, of which the P8Z68-V LX comes with two. Since you have an SSD, HDD, and ODD, you will need at least 3 SATA cables. The fans that come with the R3 are quite good, so you shouldn't need any extras.

Thank you :). Sorry to keep asking you questions, but do I need a 3.5 to 2.5 conversion tray for my SSD? It looks like the case doesn't come with one.

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
No problem. :) If you got the retail 320, then no, you don't need it because there is one in the box.

Ah, good to know! I got the "resellers" version of the 320 based on the rebate form I filled out. Looking at the picture that newegg has provided, it seems that it does in fact come with a tray as well as a sata cable. Between that cable and the two that come with my mobo I should be set I think!

Snarkie

Nov 25, 2011
Unfortunately, it looks like I won't be able to purchase that 27" 120hz Samsung for $550. What does everyone suggest in the $300 range for gaming? Should I still opt for a 27" model with less Hz or should I try and find a 24" model that has a refresh rate of 120Hz? These are a few I was looking at:

ASUS VE276Q Black 27" 1920X1080 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=4138006&SID=

PLANAR PX2710MW Black 27" 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=4138006&SID=

SAMSUNG P2770HD Rose Black 27" 5ms

ViewSonic VX2268WM Black 22" 1680x1050 5ms 120Hz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nic-_-24116452

PLANAR SA2311W Black 23" 2ms 3D 120HZ
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824016168

Acer GD235HZbid Black/orange 23.6" 2ms
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824009222