HTPC + File Server = Win 7/Home Server/Win 8?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DJFuji, Nov 3, 2012.

1. DJFuji

DJFuji Diamond Member

I have an old C2D 6400 (overclocked to 3.2) with 4 gigs of RAM, 9TB of disk space (3 RAID-able 3tb barracuda drives), and an 8800GTS video card.

Was originally going to use it as a file/backup server with HTPC capabilities by streaming media to xbox and/or playing back 1080p media on the projector.

Still plan to do this, but with windows 8 out, I'm not sure whether to use Windows 7 Pro, Win Home Server, or Windows 8/Win Server 2012.

I like the WHS idea and the functionality seems cool, especially with the pseduo-raid using drive extender, but some people say it's not as reliable as traditional RAID. Haven't had any experience with either Win8 or WHS so kind of shooting in the dark here.

Thoughts?

2. wirednuts

wirednuts Diamond Member

i think if you plan on leaving it on 24/7 there are far far far better options that wont cost you $20 a month in electricity to run.

3. mfenn

mfenn Elite Member <br> Currently on <BR> Moderator Sabb
    Super Moderator

If you want stuff to "just work" I'd use WHS. If you want to learn a bit more about how to run a quote-unquote real server, check out Windows Server 2012 and Storage Pools.

4. DJFuji

DJFuji Diamond Member

yeah i'm getting old... no time to learn how to run a a real server. Especially since this is pretty much only going to be HTPC and file server.

Are there any limitations to using WHS? I assume it includes enough HTPC functionality to work with my projector?

5. mfenn

Super Moderator

Oh shoot, I glossed over the HTPC part. WHS is meant to work headlessly, so I'm gonna change my recommendation to Windows 7 since you need good multimedia support.

6. DJFuji

DJFuji Diamond Member

No win8?

7. mfenn

Super Moderator

Too unproven at this point when it comes to codecs, etc. IMHO.