HTPC component help

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
components list:

Total = ~$285

I will use the IGP rather than discreet. I watch live/recorded TV and ripped DVDs from a headless server. I already have a 60GB SSD and Win7 64 license. The most difficult decision for me is the case. I would appreciate feedback from anyone here who has built with this case. Especially concerning psu, optical drive, and cpu cooler fit in the case.

Thoughts?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks good. Any chipset should work (H61-Z77) but the cost savings might be minimal. I built my recent system with a Z77, which isn't necessary at all. The stock cooler should perfectly fine. If you really really want to spend more money on the cpu cooler, you might look at the big shuriken.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
Looks good. Any chipset should work (H61-Z77) but the cost savings might be minimal. I built my recent system with a Z77, which isn't necessary at all. The stock cooler should perfectly fine. If you really really want to spend more money on the cpu cooler, you might look at the big shuriken.

Thanks - I thought I'd start out w/ the stock cooler (for cost reasons) and hope it fits.

If the stock G620 cooler is too loud (heat and noise are important) then I'd go aftermarket cooler. Any idea if the big shuriken would fit in this case? It looks pretty low and flat in the pics...

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I searched the newegg reviews of that case and I found more than one person using the same combo. I'd be very surprised if the stock cooler wasn't sufficient. I have an i3-2100 in a very cramped case that is in a very hot cabinet and it performs pretty well.

Arkitekt

Aug 11, 2012
Setup looks alright, but I would say that 8GB of RAM is not needed, you could easily get by with 4GB.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
There might be some advantage from an actual Ivy Bridge Processor with 1600DDR3.
But it would probably just push the price up.

I kind of like the Antec BASIQ brand of power supplies. I like the way the Corsair power supplies have all the cords braided to keep the wires together.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026

Might need a fan in that thing. It has a slot in back, I guess they expect you to use a riser. You could also put a slot cooler in there.

If ram is fairly inexpensive, I can see using 8 Gig. It is kind of a personal thing. No one ever wishes they purchased less RAM.

Last edited:

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
I ordered all the items (had to go w/ the VP430 instead of the earthwatts due to it being unavailable).

I rec'd it a few days ago and will be putting it together this weekend. I also went with the 4GB RAM option to save a few bucks...you're right though...can't have too much memory!

Been looking for a project to do with my 11 year daughter so I'm going to build a computer w/ her!

This will be an extender to play TV / ripped DVDs from my Ubuntu RAID5 NAS box and SageTV Q8400 server.

flocko

Aug 30, 2012
I ordered all the items (had to go w/ the VP430 instead of the earthwatts due to it being unavailable).

I rec'd it a few days ago and will be putting it together this weekend. I also went with the 4GB RAM option to save a few bucks...you're right though...can't have too much memory!

Been looking for a project to do with my 11 year daughter so I'm going to build a computer w/ her!

This will be an extender to play TV / ripped DVDs from my Ubuntu RAID5 NAS box and SageTV Q8400 server.

This is one of the BEST ideas I have seen in a long , long time . A teaching lesson and a super way to have a nice bit of bonding time :)

Good show !

skulkingghost

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2006
is this fast enough to do 1080p, what about stereosopic 3d through a program like total media theatre and off bd isos? I was going to do an i3 setup with a discreet card, but if this works....

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
is this fast enough to do 1080p, what about stereosopic 3d through a program like total media theatre and off bd isos? I was going to do an i3 setup with a discreet card, but if this works....

I only have recorded / live tv and ripped DVDs and I own no BDs. From everything I've read (including assassin's endorsement) the g620 does great for 2D HTPC use. I don't plan to use any BD software like TMT5.

Down the road, I can update the 1155 CPU or easily add a discreet GPU if I decide to play BDs.

For 3d, I believe you'd need a CPU w a much beefier IGP or a discreet GPU.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
This is one of the BEST ideas I have seen in a long , long time . A teaching lesson and a super way to have a nice bit of bonding time :)

Good show !

Thx! Was able to get to the POST stage this afternoon - went slow w her as I explained the purpose of all the components and concerns w heat and noise. And took her a little while to get used to tiny screws and my small specialty screwdrivers. I will have some pics to add shortly.

She was proud of herself for her first build :)

flocko

Aug 30, 2012
She should be proud and so should you !! :)

Nice work and YES, folks always love pics .

BTW.... yes you are correct . The G620 will not do 3d . You must get into the i3 series for that.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
I would also love some pictures. I'm about to order the same case, but I'm planning on putting a slightly higher performing system (i3-2100 + 6450) inside of it for the occasional game and also to ensure that I don't get any hiccups with my high definition media.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
anyone know how to add pics?

I found this in the forum help section:
How do I add an image to a post?
If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing
after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.
However, when I select the Insert Image button it asks for a URL...my pics are simply saved on this computer I'm using not on the web. I also noticed this below:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
Does this mean I don't have privileges to add pics?

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
anyone know how to add pics?

I found this in the forum help section:
However, when I select the Insert Image button it asks for a URL...my pics are simply saved on this computer I'm using not on the web. I also noticed this below:

Does this mean I don't have privileges to add pics?

You'll have to host your photos on a website, like Photobucket, which is free.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
You may need 10 posts before you can post pictures directly through the forum. Linking to a free service like Photobucket should work though.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
Definitely want to share pics but apparently 10 posts isn't the magic number.

I don't have a photobucket acct (and don't care to start one now).

Will keep posting and as soon as I have privileges, I'll post photos.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
How did the stock cooler work out? Is it quiet enough?

I haven't yet moved it to the TV room - I still need to load the media software and decide on a remote and/or wireless keyboard so I can't say for certain. Been out of town on business a lot recently.

But it doesn't appear to be noisy just sitting on my PC bench. Of course I haven't ran it under load yet either.

Jammor

Sep 1, 2012
Here are some pics. Figured out photobucket (I think).

My 11 yr old daughter did most of the work, including connectors and pinouts.

Getting started - I already had a 60GB SSD
IMG_0032_zps92b79945.jpg

Top view #1
IMG_0048_zps128437d0.jpg

Top view #2
IMG_0073_zpsbb125e05.jpg

Top view #3 - I need to spend some time on cable mgmt.
IMG_0056_zps834e091f.jpg

Side
IMG_0071_zps0bad9a6f.jpg

Tight Fit between the back of the ODD and the front of the PSU
IMG_0062_zps73852eff.jpg

Front - I don't like how the ASUS branding detracts from the clean appearance of the front but it only bothered me for about 10 mins.
IMG_0054_zpsdb4e49ff.jpg

Back
IMG_0066_zps7049babb.jpg

flocko

Aug 30, 2012
WOW ... nice patience with the build and the photo bucket foray . NOT a big fan of PB to be sure .

I just rapped up a build with that MB last weekend and have sent it off to the customer .

I found that board to be very nice , value conscious and a real easy bios to work with . Hope you found it to be the same .

Yes, a touch of wire tidy is needed but not to much and looks as though and your partner took some real time and did it right .

Now onto the fun part of installing the media software.

A bit of advice if I may . Take your time in this phase and install a minimal amount of software . just enough to get your bare media up and running . No cutesy stuff just yet . TEST , test and test . Then if all works well start adding more features one at a time . If something breaks and you have taken the slow route , it will be real easy to figure out the "rat in the wood pile" .

Of course , you know that fellow in post # 24 puts out some real nice guides that make the software part of this process a lot easier and quicker

Please give both your selves a big pat on the back . :cool:

Last edited: