HTPC Build

Budeez

Feb 9, 2009
I recently cut cable using an OTA turner card and netflix. It works for me, I download movies or watch netflix most of the time. A few network shows I watch with the turner card. My current HTPC was my old gaming rig and something is dying inside as it shuts down unexpectedly and has required multiple reboots a few times to finally get it to boot back up. I will build a new machine but I will keep the turner card, 2TB hard drive that I bought only a year ago to store my recorded shows and blu ray dvd drive. Outside of watching tv/movies, the only other thing I will do with this machine is to surf the web from my easy chair.

Here are components I selected and would like a second opinion before I buy.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17907269

I also selected a PS from amazon (this is out of stock on newegg)
http://www.amazon.com/Coolmax-M-ATX-...d_rhf_gw_p_d_2

Thanks in advance.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Looks pretty good to me. I have only 4GB of RAM in my HTPC build and it's plenty, even using W7 as the OS.

Speaking of OS's... what are you going to use for an OS?

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
IMO a 32GB SSD is cutting things a little too close for my comfort. I would opt for 64GB minimally and I'm putting 120GB SSDs in my HTPC builds. It's marginally a little more expensive but worth it.

Budeez

Feb 9, 2009
For OS I am using win7 and windows media center for my current setup. It also has a nice plugin for netflix. Both are nice using my windows remote that came with my tv tuner card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116036

But the remote is limited outside of windows media center/netflix. So I also use a wireless keyboard with trackpad. It's a bit clunky and I've looked at stuff like xbmc (tried, don't like more than win7) and myth tv. Myth looks interesting but I'm scared of anything linux. Like where would I get drivers for my tv turner card? And how do you install stuff lol.

As for the SSD, I will have win7, virus program, a couple browsers, bluray dvd program and VLC. Will I really need more than 32 gb?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
IMO a 32GB SSD is cutting things a little too close for my comfort. I would opt for 64GB minimally and I'm putting 120GB SSDs in my HTPC builds. It's marginally a little more expensive but worth it.

As for the SSD, I will have win7, virus program, a couple browsers, bluray dvd program and VLC. Will I really need more than 32 gb?

Your needs and setup are very similar to mine... W7 Home, WMC with Media Browser, 3 antivirus programs (SAS, MSE and SpyBot) and a few diagnostic and testing tools... my boot drive comes in at 23GB... that would put you at 70%

But the remote is limited outside of windows media center/netflix. So I also use a wireless keyboard with trackpad. It's a bit clunky and I've looked at stuff like xbmc (tried, don't like more than win7) and myth tv. Myth looks interesting but I'm scared of anything linux. Like where would I get drivers for my tv turner card? And how do you install stuff lol.

I have a Rosewill W7 remote and it works OK, but, as you said, not at all outside of WMC. I just plug in a keyboard and type, but eventually I would like to get a full-function remote for navigating outside WMC.

Take a look at Media Browser, it's an add-on for WMC that I like very much... it's far easier to use than WMC's library. Assassin describes the setup in his HTPC guide...

Budeez

Feb 9, 2009
FYI I have a HTC One and it has an IR blaster. You can customize a remote with the default app or you can buy a more featured one. I just tested it out and I can control my tv, audio receiver and emulates windows MCE, but it doesn't have the cool layout of the remote (HTC One Universal Remote App). The default app also runs my tv and audio receiver but doesn't do MCE that I see. For everyone else, it controls your cable/sat. box.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Just FYI...

That SSD you picked has awful reviews. I understand you are using it as a boot drive, not a cache, but there seems to be complaints about the FW.

Also, and this is just my .02 worth... you could get an Intel mobo and Pentium CPU for what you are spending on the AMD setup. I was originally going to go with an AMD chip in my HTPC but am very, very pleased with what is a bottom-end Pentium chip and a B75 mobo. That AMD processor you picked is way overkill. Just throwing that out there.

I guess I should ask... are you going to be transcoding on this unit? Then I could see justification for the CPU horsepower.

Budeez

Feb 9, 2009
I just thought the APU would be a good value. I'm not really in the know on graphics built into the motherboard for Intel....I have been building my machines with discrete graphics. I won't be doing encoding on that machine. Is there a cheaper solution with intel?

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Just FYI...

That SSD you picked has awful reviews. I understand you are using it as a boot drive, not a cache, but there seems to be complaints about the FW.

Agreed. The drive keeps popping up in peoples' parts list, I guess because it's the cheapest SSD on Newegg (or thereabouts). But for just a small bump up in cost, a 64GB M4 performs far better and you will have much less "space anxiety".

As far as the Intel vs. AMD APU question, either will do just fine. Intel will burn a bit less electricity, AMD will have a bit more processor/graphics power. I've used the HD4000 iGPU in my CPU for a while, and the 7750 dGPU. For HTPC duty, they are both more than enough.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I was using the Intel HD2000 graphics on my G620 for a while, I had problems with Netflix stuttering so I put in the HD6450... but it didn't help with Netflix. I found out later it's a Netflix problem, not a limitation with the HD2000 GPU... so, yes, the Intel graphics are plenty for everything HTPC below 3D.

I don't know... I wasn't expecting much out of the G620 and was kicking myself in the butt for not getting an i3, but once I got it built and running... I am uber impressed with the little chip. I sometimes wonder if it's not more responsive than my desktop i5 2500K. (Having said that, there is no substitute for horsepower... I don't use the G620 to transcode. I did it once... only once.)

You know... as much OCZ hate as there is, my 60GB Agility3... first my boot drive in my desktop, and now my boot drive in my HTPC... has never given me a lick of trouble. I've never even updated the FW. I don't know if I would recommend the refurb Agility3 for $53, but for an economical HTPC drive... maybe.

Alan G

Apr 25, 2013
I've put i3 HD4000 chips in the two HTPCs I've built and they work fine. I do a lot of Internet streaming not only of Neflix but lots of European soccer. TV is Verizon FIOS with a cable card. It's a little pricier than an AMD or Intel pentium chip but I've never had any problems.