HTPC build question (with light gaming)

TheSorc

Aug 17, 2012
Hi all,
first post (hope this is in the right sub forum)

I am about to build a HTPC and have put together some components and was wandering if you guys could give me some suggestions as to what needs to be changed (if any)

What I want:
1) HTPC for living room (on 1080p TV)
- TV via TV tuner card (with recording etc.)
- Youtube, video on demand, Twitch etc.
- DVD and Blue-Ray

2) Light Gaming with friends in the living room with "reasonable" but not great graphics(e.g. Blur, Audiosurf, LIMBO, Trine 2, Street fighter 4, that kind of thing) I have a dedicated Work/Gaming machine but like the idea of casual gaming on my sofa (console-style)

3) lowish noise but certainly does not need to be silent. My old PC is rather loud and I am not 2 bothered by it. I would quite like low power usage as I will use the PC for TV recording etc and he will likely stay on for extended periods of time)

4) upgrade capabilities if I ever want to go 3D or more intense gaming.

My current (planned) build is

MOBA: Asrock H77M
Has USB 3 at front and back, HDMI out, 2xPCI and 2xPCIe for TV card and Wireless card and dolby surround sound (otherwise standard MOBA stuff)

Processor: (really not sure) options:

a)i3-2125 (relatively "future proof" in terms of processor power and should be able to handle simple games graphics. I think I will need discreet graphics if I want to play more demanding games. If I go that route then the graphics part )

b) G620 Pentium (should still be able to handle HTPC video stuff but not able to really play games without discreet graphics

c) i3-3220 (Ivy bridge); slightly worse graphics compared o the 2125 but lower TDP, better processor power and actually cheaper.

d) Scrap Intel and go with Llano? Does not look very future proof as there is no upgrade pathway.

Graphics: no discrete graphics planned atm but I would like to have the option to upgrade at a later stage
possible upgrade at some point:
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 Ultimate (passive cooled, double slot, 114 euro; I live in Germany)

RAM:
Corsair DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (ram is cheap)

storage:
I already have a 60gig SSD for the OS and some mass storage for media

Power supply: not sure what to get but would probably go with something that has good reviews on Newegg
Maybe: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Is 380W enough?

case:
Silverstone GD05B USB 3.0 Grandia HTPC Black Micro ATX Case

TV card:
Not sure what to get

DVD/Blue-ray:
LG CH10LS28

I have a copy of Win7 Home Premium

I guess my biggest problem is deciding on a processor (+- graphics). I like the idea of an SB/IB 1155 system as my main PC is still running an old core-i5 750 and I could easily upgrade the HTPC to use as a main PC when the i5 gives up one day.

Any ideas are welcome.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Any dual core would work for what you're looking at. I'd get a used video card from the FS/FT forums that will out perform what you'd get at Newegg for the same price. 380w psu should be enough unless you bump the video card above what is required by an HTPC.

As far as TV tuners, I'd be interested as to what people suggest. I remember the good ol' days when ATi would offer video cards with tuners built in. Guess they weren't popular enough.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
By the way, you can go with the i3-3225 (as of writing it's out of stock) over the 3220 and get the HD4000 instead of the HD2500. I bought one of these earlier this week for a silent, small HTPC build. It's a $15 price premium over the 3220.

Although, if you don't mind a larger machine (and by larger, I still mean a modest size for a HTPC), I would consider the AMD passive card.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Although, if you don't mind a larger machine (and by larger, I still mean a modest size for a HTPC), I would consider the AMD passive card.

To be honest, I would recommend this. At the very least have a case that is capable. You might be surprised and like gaming on the TV with the HTPC, and want to play more graphic intensive content on it.

Also for power supply, this is one of the most overlooked items especially when dealing with making a more silent PC build. In the 380-400W range, I would really recommend looking at the Seasonic X-400 Fanless power supply. It depends on your case though.

Last edited:

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
Double question on this:

1. What are you using (or that people suggest for using) as your gaming interface? I would like to do a bit of tweaking on mine for this.

2. What form factor are we looking at (case-wise?)

Shoebox? Flat? That silverstone looks decent, but it also looks kinda big for an HTPC.

I have a smaller shuttle box that is working well with a wireless card and an old 7950 card in it. My only complaints is fan noise from the main cooling fan....

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have a smaller shuttle box that is working well with a wireless card and an old 7950 card in it. My only complaints is fan noise from the main cooling fan....

One thing to consider is that you can usually replace fans with quieter versions. I've equipped most of my desktops with Scythe's quiet fans.

Arkitekt

Aug 11, 2012
Just wanted to point out that Intel's LGA 1155 socket is no more 'future-proof' than AMD's Llano. Trinity does come out soon though, but 2nd Quarter 2013 Intel will release Haswell with the LGA 1150 socket which is meant to last through Haswell and Broadwell until ~2018

I went with Intel for my build, but because I wanted the more powerful CPU over a more powerful iGPU, but neither are currently 'future-proof' as they are both EOL or close to EOL.

TheSorc

Aug 17, 2012
Thx for all the useful reply.
Some things that came up.

1) With regards to TV cards I was gonna go with one of the dual tuner Haupage cards. The apartment block I am in is just about to change over to digital cable. For what I need it for digital aerial should be ok as well (recording news programs etc, rather than films and TV series)

2) The i3-3225 looks nice indeed. I think that should serve me well enough without a dedicated graphics card. Shoudl I change my mind at some point I can always add one in at a later stage. 55 TDP is nice as well.

3) In terms of interface I am using an Enermax "full size" keyboard with integrated trackball at the moment. That works quite well for typing but gaming would be difficult. Unless it is turn based or keyboard only.
For gaming I was planning to attach either some PS3 controllers that I have lying around or buy some separate wireless usb controllers. I dont think bothering with mouse and keyboard games is gonna be useful.

4) The Silverstone case I was gonna get is reasonably large and should house my micro ATX board just fine. Looking at some pictures I have seen it would easily fit a graphics card. The space under my TV is such that a smaller form factor would not be needed and would look odd. Hence no shuttle.

5) Good point regarding future proofing. What I meant was that I could add in a graphics card and replace the i3 with a nice i5 (i7 even) should i need more power in the future. I cant see the current gen i5 be inadequate for my general use computing any time soon.

So all in all I think I will be going for the i3-3225 without add in graphics for the time being.

That leaves me with the power supply. How much wattage would I need to have head room for adding in dedicated graphics in the future? (we are talking a max of 7850 type graphics card)
would 380 be enough?

thx again

Arkitekt

Aug 11, 2012
I would say 380w - 400w would be sufficient. For the Silverstone cases the Silverstone Strider ST40F-ES is a good choice.

If you feel the GD05B is too tall, take a look at the Silverstone ML03B, it is a very popular case choice. Only big differences are the restriction of 140mm PSU depth, 170mm ODD depth, and low-profile GPU.