HTC Evo 4g LTE now or wait for Galaxy S4 details/photos?

Dec 30, 2004
Top priorities in phone:
-aesthetic appeal (curved busy nature of GS3 :()
-microSD

I am considering shelling out for Sprint from StraighTalk AT&T to get the white HTC Evo 4G LTE like it much particularly because of the rectangular shape. Can't stand the busy Galaxy S3.Very much like the original (now banned) Galaxy S2 international design (sharp rounded corners, not gradual curved corners (newer T-Mobile version with 1.5Ghz processor) and definitely not curves top/bottom like GS3, Nexus 4, Galaxy Nexus, etc.).

It has a great processor. It has microSD. It has LTE. Its rectangular. Its classy white. Only thing holding me back is the 1GB / not 2GB RAM.

Should I wait to see what the GS4 design has in store?

stormkroe

Golden Member
May 28, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what about the new LG? It's minimalist in design, AWESOME hardware, and you obviously don't have a problem with skinned android. Perhaps it's just because of LG's update history?

GS4 will almost certainly use their new 4.99" 1080p panel and 'could' squeeze exynos 5dual in there with aggressive enough clock controls/large battery.
Might be worth waiting for.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
I would wait for the S4. As much as I like the One X, it will be outdated soon (already is if you look at the S4 Pro phones being released).

Or buy a used ATT One X for $250 or less and use it on Straight Talk to hold you over.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
You're leaving Straight Talk AT&T to go to Sprint?
Are you prepared to deal with the potential coverage issues?
Does Sprint have LTE up and running in your area yet? If not, expect to see speeds of around 300kbps or less on Sprint's 3G network.

Evo 4G LTE is pretty old now...That phone came out in April. Even the Galaxy S III I cannot recommend(unless you can get it deeply discounted like the T-Mobile deals the past few days)
If you're going to sign a contract, you damn well better get the best phone that you can get and not just not a 7 month old phone that might not see the next Android update KLP.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Sprint LTE is a joke, T-Mobile HSPA+ can easily be just as fast and in far more places.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
Sprint LTE is a joke, T-Mobile HSPA+ can easily be just as fast and in far more places.

Found in more places? For the time being, yes.

As fast? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I get 30 Mbps down on Sprint LTE in a rural-ish area. I was getting 12-15 Mbps down MAX with Tmobile right before I switched a couple months ago on HSPA+.

Once Sprint finishes deploying LTE next year Tmobile is in for a world of hurt cause from what I understand, AT&T & Verizon are even faster than what I get with Sprint. They'll be the lone company out with HSPA+ just barely starting to upgrade to LTE.

Dec 30, 2004
Just out of curiosity, what about the new LG? It's minimalist in design, AWESOME hardware, and you obviously don't have a problem with skinned android. Perhaps it's just because of LG's update history?

yes big fan of that one too. Mainly worried about long term reliability, and yeah LG's update history is subpar. That's a big deal because most of their stock ROMs are a bit...buggy, not polished.

Dec 30, 2004
You're leaving Straight Talk AT&T to go to Sprint?
Are you prepared to deal with the potential coverage issues?
Does Sprint have LTE up and running in your area yet? If not, expect to see speeds of around 300kbps or less on Sprint's 3G network.

Evo 4G LTE is pretty old now...That phone came out in April. Even the Galaxy S III I cannot recommend(unless you can get it deeply discounted like the T-Mobile deals the past few days)
If you're going to sign a contract, you damn well better get the best phone that you can get and not just not a 7 month old phone that might not see the next Android update KLP.

Not prepared to deal with coverage issues, but I don't travel too much.
Their map looks pretty good?
LTE in my area yes. Honestly 300kbps if it's on EVDO/3G and not 1xRTT, is fine with me-- with Adblock, web pages still load pretty fast.

Dec 30, 2004

GS4 will almost certainly use their new 4.99" 1080p panel and 'could' squeeze exynos 5dual in there with aggressive enough clock controls/large battery.
Might be worth waiting for.

If GS4 is going to be a 5" screen I definitely don't want that. GS3 is already too large IMO unless they made it completely square and halved the current bezel.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
If GS4 is going to be a 5" screen I definitely don't want that. GS3 is already too large IMO unless they made it completely square and halved the current bezel.

The GS3 really isn't that big, I just upgraded to it from a 4.3" Galaxy S2 and the phones are almost exactly the same size, the S3 just has much less bezel.

Feb 19, 2001
The GS3 really isn't that big, I just upgraded to it from a 4.3" Galaxy S2 and the phones are almost exactly the same size, the S3 just has much less bezel.
... it's almost the same size. no it's not. stop using the same rehashed argument over and over again when people said that 3.5 is about the same as 3.7 which is about the same as 4.0 which is about the same size as 4.3 which is about the same size as 4.8 which is about the same size as 5.0

cYoyM.png

The SGS3 measures bigger than the Galaxy Nexus. It's a big difference. And it's even bigger if you find the SGS2 to be big. Maybe you didn't but that's you.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
... it's almost the same size. no it's not. stop using the same rehashed argument over and over again when people said that 3.5 is about the same as 3.7 which is about the same as 4.0 which is about the same size as 4.3 which is about the same size as 4.8 which is about the same size as 5.0

cYoyM.png

The SGS3 measures bigger than the Galaxy Nexus. It's a big difference. And it's even bigger if you find the SGS2 to be big. Maybe you didn't but that's you.

Meh, the boiling frog metaphor is quite appropriate here. Remember when the HTC Evo 4G at 4.3" was considered a huge phone? Now the only flagship below that size is the iPhone, everything else is larger.

I'm not going to argue all of those phones are the same size, but I think the market has definitely adjusted its expectations (or the fact that if you really really want a 4" phone other than the iPhone, you're going to get a piece of crap).

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
(or the fact that if you really really want a 4" phone other than the iPhone, you're going to get a piece of crap)
There are some really nice 4.3" with on-screen button phones, which are basically 4" of display area.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Whatever happened to that phone size website? It was pretty nice but hasn't been updated in forever. How hard can it be?

As for the OP, if you're not in a rush, you might want to wait. Mobile World Congress is at the end of Jan or so and we'll likely see what the 2013 vision of Android from HTC and Samsung is like then.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009

cYoyM.png

I've got both devices in my hand right now and regardless of what size you think it is compared to the Galaxy Nexus there is not a substantial difference, I'd post a pic but I don't have any other cameras with me aside from the ones in the phones.

I would consider the Note II vs the S3 a big difference or even the S3 vs the iPhone 5 but the difference in size between the S3 and S2 is anything other than big.

Dec 30, 2004
I completely forgot about Virgin Mobile.
So instead of almost buying the Evo 4G LTE, I just purchased http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-evo-phone/features/
for $150 (a steal!)
1GB RAM,
ICS 4.0.3
Dual core 1.2Ghz Snapdragon S3
4GB memory built in, SD card
3D display
Wimax/4G
I can't believe this deal

I figure I will get http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-gsII-phone/features/
when it drops in price, but wanted the 3D display for fun.
the GS2 they have also supports Wimax.
This is very exciting.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2004

cYoyM.png

but he's right. each time I put each one of those side by side I think, oh, well it's not THAT much bigger...

and suddenly I'm scratching my head having gone from an OGDroid to a GS3

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I completely forgot about Virgin Mobile.
So instead of almost buying the Evo 4G LTE, I just purchased http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-evo-phone/features/
for $150 (a steal!)
1GB RAM,
Dual core 1.2Ghz Snapdragon S3
4GB memory built in, SD card
3D display
Wimax/4G
I can't believe this deal

I figure I will get http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-gsII-phone/features/
when it drops in price, but wanted the 3D display for fun.
edit - huh, wait, it says dual-core. still think it's the original EVO but maybe I'm wrong

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2004
I've got both devices in my hand right now and regardless of what size you think it is compared to the Galaxy Nexus there is not a substantial difference, I'd post a pic but I don't have any other cameras with me aside from the ones in the phones.

I would consider the Note II vs the S3 a big difference or even the S3 vs the iPhone 5 but the difference in size between the S3 and S2 is anything other than big.

perhaps you're holding a 4.5" screen'd S2?
The Sprint S2 vs S3 is minimal difference
The other S2's are much different.

iahk

Jan 19, 2002
It's basically the HTC EVO 3D. Still a good price for a dated device considering there's no contract involved here.

maniac5999

Dec 30, 2009
It's basically the HTC EVO 3D. Still a good price for a dated device considering there's no contract involved here.

The issue is that it's locked to Virgin. I spent over two years there, first with a crappy Samsung Intercept, then with a buggy Motorola Triumph (both bought at launch) The issue is that you're a second class citizen on sprint's network. When you even get data, (and frequently you won't. service will say 3G, but data just won't work) it's going to be routed thru a data center in Kansas City, and ping will be about 500 MILLESECONDS.