HS Student - 32 hours/week at Best Buy?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
its black friday and satruday... im working 20 horus alone in those two days...

if you work part time.. you get 20-25 hours...
unless they dont have alot of people then you get 30+ hours

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
From one BB employee to another, what did you expect when joining best buy during the holiday season? You'll probably get 32 hours this week due to black friday and then get around 25-32 hours from now until the holidays are over.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Can't be that bad. Senior year I was at school from 4am-7pm on tuesdays and thursdays. mon/wed/fri i was at school from 6-7.

I worked in the school cafeteria every day from 6-7:45 and then got 15 minutes before class, then worked 20 minutes out of the 45 minutes we had for lunch. I was there at 4 on tue/thur because XC practice was at 6, but since I had to work, I'd run early. School let out at 2:50 and then it was Xc practice until about 7 every day.

SupaDupaPan

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2004
I was working 40 hrs + at Imaginarum when I was 16, they told me it WAS legal, as long as I consented to it, and they couldn't MAKE me work that much ... but *shrug* I didn't check too much into it, and just worked those 40 hrs for the money ...

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Is this the same ex-girlfriend who got TAG TEAMED ON A ROWBOAT WHILE YOU WERE DATING HER?

When the hell did I say ex-girlfriend? You guys read too much into everything I post. Sorry guys, I know more than one girl. DIAF.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
from what i recall from when i was in high school, no it is not legal. you can only work 4 hours a day on a school day, 8 hours a day on a non school day. 20 hours per week is the max. they are supposed to have a work permit for you or that's another violation.

during christmas break, they can work up to 40 hours max. during the summer i had a work permit for a summer job, the legal max was 40 hours, 8 hours per day.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: oogabooga
high school is a joke, but some people will crash and burn if they try to work that hard. Especially if they develop that kind of mentality for college, they will wonder "in high school i worked full time and went to school, why can't i do the same in college"

but shrugs to each his/her own i guess. I worked full time in highschool but i knew i could handle it. hopefully she can too.

EyeMWing i'm in the process of working on my case, i'm no where near done, but when i am done, i'll make sure to drop you a pm and send you a pic or something
i'm not doing anything nearly as fancy as what you've described, but i'm designing/ making a new front piece, and working on repainting the case.

Dude, you couldn't pay me to go through the hell that must be replacing a front bezel. Fortunately, my customers are content with a stock bezel lit, redyed and painted. Maybe one day I'll acquire someone with the skills to do that in a short timeframe.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
All you guys that worked long hours in high school and college -- how well in life are you doing now? Are you knowledgable in what you studied in college compared to someone who didn't have to work that much?

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
From various Best Buy rants I get the impression they actually discourage further education. Perhaps this is an effort to make themselves feel better about themselves whether they are aware of that or not. That amount of work is not reccomended for a full time student.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Where I worked over the summer, we worked 4 10 hour days plus a half hour unpaid lunch. I was done with my first year of college, so it was no big deal for me. However, for the first month I worked, one kid was finishing his senior year of high school and working from 3-1:30AM MWF. He obviously wasn't a particularly studious kid and had a serious case of senioritis, but damn, I would go insane with that schedule.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
high school is a joke, you can probably do 40hrs a week with no problem. hey, just think about the money ;)