4 8 hour days.
Or
1 8 hour day, 6 4 hour days
Or 2 8 hour days, 5 4 hour days.

Choose 1:
Work for Best Buy and fail school
Work for Best Buy and have no social life
Don't work for Best Buy.

Edit: Is this even legal? CA, 16 year old, LA County.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
For the record, I've done everything possible to talk the person in question out of this - but as usual she's paying no attention to what I say.

Today we mourn the loss of another valient warrior to the various evil empires of the world.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Wow.

If you can handle school and that much work, go for it.

When I was in high school, I was practically doing the same thing.
Got up in the morning,
went to school,
got off from school,
went to work,
got home from work (around 11pm),
then went to bed.

Did that everyday for a couple of weeks straight. PITA.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
when I was in HS the most by law I could work was 18hrs. which really sucked because my junior year I only had the equivelent of a half day but still couldn't work more...in retrospec though I wish I did sports over work

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Falloutboy
when I was in HS the most by law I could work was 18hrs. which really sucked because my junior year I only had the equivelent of a half day but still couldn't work more...in retrospec though I wish I did sports over work

She does do sports - one that's currently in-season. She somehow thinks that the math works out (I'm not even sure it LEGALLY works out, anyone know CA's current law?) 6 hours/day school + 4 hours/day practice + 2hrs/day homework + 6 hours/day sleep. That's 18 hours. That leaves 6/day for work - it's DOABLE, but when you factor in things like the fact that her school/work commute is 1 hour, and her work/home commute it 1.5 hours, it quite simply does not work. At all. Period.

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: Falloutboy

She does do sports - one that's currently in-season. She somehow thinks that the math works out (I'm not even sure it LEGALLY works out, anyone know CA's current law?) 6 hours/day school + 4 hours/day practice + 2hrs/day homework + 6 hours/day sleep. That's 18 hours. That leaves 6/day for work - it's DOABLE, but when you factor in things like the fact that her school/work commute is 1 hour, and her work/home commute it 1.5 hours, it quite simply does not work. At all. Period.

that was 18hrs per week.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I take it you never heard of this law of being a success in school..

School - Work - Social Life

Pick 2!

lol.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
You are young... you can do it, so sweat!!

When I was 35yrs old...
I took a class in the morning... worked all day and took too classes at night... then I got to go home and be a single mom... laundry, cooking, cleaning, paying bills... etc. 5 days a weeks for two years...

If you don't mind not going out to play often... now you can do it!

:)

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Dude - suck it up. I go to school full time and work 40+ hours a week without a problem.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
iirc, the only thing that would be illegal would be for the 16 year old to work more than 8 hour shifts. That's how it was when I was working @ 16 anyways. Actually maybe I was 15... something like that

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
In NY, you can definitely not work 32 hours a week while attending High School. Which is why I worked off the books. MWF-4-10 Sat 11-8 Sunday 4-9. I didn't do this during football season (2:30-6 o'clock practice). But it really wasn't that bad during my senior year.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
You are young... you can do it, so sweat!!

When I was 35yrs old...
I took a class in the morning... worked all day and took too classes at night... then I got to go home and be a single mom... laundry, cooking, cleaning, paying bills... etc. 5 days a weeks for two years...

If you don't mind not going out to play often... now you can do it!

:)

I'm not the one in question - I could do it, I'm just not stupid enough to.

The person who IS, however, is mentally extremely fragile and utterly unsuited to retail work to begin with. What essentially amounts to a full-time retail job should be completely out of the question, but thanks to some insane, perverted sense of "OMG I NEED MONEY AND OMG ELECTRONICS ARE SO COOL!!!!eleven" that doesn't quite click.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
???

whine much?

I think i worked between 24-30 hours per week in HS... 32 seems a bit excessive, unless you consider you'd be doing to 8 hr days on the weekend...

You;re choice, just don't whine if you ahve no money for games or whatnot..

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
i'm not sure you can work that much as a high school student actually. Don't you need a work permit and then the work permit states you have a maximum number of hours? but then again, i'm sure bestbuy doesn't care. Your friend will either thrive, or crash and burn op, and imo i think it's the latter.
Just wish her luck and let her learn her lesson.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I worked 40 hours a week at Best Buy during my last 2 years of HS. It wasnt that bad at all. And still had plenty of time left over.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: oogabooga
i'm not sure you can work that much as a high school student actually. Don't you need a work permit and then the work permit states you have a maximum number of hours? but then again, i'm sure bestbuy doesn't care. Your friend will either thrive, or crash and burn op, and imo i think it's the latter.
Just wish her luck and let her learn her lesson.

I did just that.

The really disgusting thing is that I've offered her more money for less work doing somthing she actually enjoys and a service that many of my customers take great pleasure in. She did custom chassis artwork.

About once a month, a customer would request this and cough up the extra non-refundable $2500 for me to get the chassis re-powdercoated (I sanded the old stuff off myself to save cash), and re-dye the plastic, they'd request the general design, she'd draw out a sketch, they'd approve it, I'd ship the chassis off (or occasionally just a side panel depending on the design) and within 3 weeks, I'd recieve back a beautiful custom-airbrushed piece. She got to keep everything that she didn't spend on supplies - I'm not exactly sure what that amounted to, but the absolute MOST I ever spent on powdercoating was $1000, so I figure that she EASILY had an income of over $1000/month. In High School. Most people I know do about $600. BB is talking $800-ish - and mine was tax-free.

I never did successfully take a picture of her work - the clearcoat always screwed with me. It was a little odd, metal=>powder=>custom art=>clear coat, but the effect was always incredible, and not once have I had a complaint about how it turned out.

The ironic thing? The average price of the REST of the computers amounts to a whole $1500, including one $700 system and one $5500 beast.

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
High school is a joke.

I worked 30+ hours/week at Staples, had a great social life, took mostly AP's and honors, graduated with a 3.7 gpa, top 10% of class, got into a good college.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
high school is a joke, but some people will crash and burn if they try to work that hard. Especially if they develop that kind of mentality for college, they will wonder "in high school i worked full time and went to school, why can't i do the same in college"

but shrugs to each his/her own i guess. I worked full time in highschool but i knew i could handle it. hopefully she can too.

EyeMWing i'm in the process of working on my case, i'm no where near done, but when i am done, i'll make sure to drop you a pm and send you a pic or something
i'm not doing anything nearly as fancy as what you've described, but i'm designing/ making a new front piece, and working on repainting the case.