HP ZR2740W Refurbished Dead Pixel

Liquid_Static

Jan 6, 2013
Hi everyone! Newegg just had a deal on refurbished HP ZR2740W's so i bit the bullet and bought one. ($350 was too hard to resist)

My monitor is excellent (no light bleed, consistent color across screen ~6400K default white point and the newer 2012 model) except for 1 dead pixel (100% black) about 1 inch from the bottom and 2 inches from the left.

Do you guys think it's worth contacting HP and requesting an RMA, or do you think chances are I'll get a monitor with similar problems (or worse).

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Is the policy 0 dead pixels?

Regardless, I don't think its worth it, thats not that bad of a location and chances are you'll have another dead pixel on a new one.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I would RMA it if I was in that situation. Sure, it's only 1 dead pixel, but you'll go crazy over time thinking about it and looking at it if you're picky.

Oct 16, 1999
That dead pixel is why you got the deal. If I got a refurb monitor with only one pixel completely black and dead and off to the corner I'd count my blessings.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Is the policy 0 dead pixels?

Regardless, I don't think its worth it, thats not that bad of a location and chances are you'll have another dead pixel on a new one.

Yeah, without knowing if it's guaranteed zero dead pixels we can't advise you. So, what's the deal? Do they guarantee zero dead pixels?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
What you found from HP is what they will essentially consider a defect to be RMA worthy. What you are describing sounds like 1 "dark pixel" defect and is not covered under HP's warranty.

In fact, you have to have more than 3 "dark pixels" in order to make it RMA worthy for HP. You can try and see if it is a contamination (full pixel defect) instead, but it sounds like a very common dark (or dead) pixel. Unless you bought some kind of extra policy or Newegg themselves cover any pixel defect (doubtful), you'd just have to live with it (possible return if allowed?). I personally would just live with it. My monitor has slight light bleed on one side but I hadn't even thought about it until this thread, I never notice it any more.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I got a monitor like this once... Was all pissed off for a while but then I got used to it. It's not a big deal if it isn't in the center.