HP Slate 21 Pro (21" Android tablet) for $239 on Groupon

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Update:

There is a smaller 17" model available for $360 that has a 7-hour battery & 10-point multi-touch, which is great if you want to unplug it & be mobile in the kitchen or whatever. Details here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37278620&postcount=27

Update: Use coupon code TRIPLE for price reduction

$239.99 with free shipping + tax (12 days remaining on the Groupon as of 31-Dec-2014). Not the cheapest it's ever been, but still a pretty good deal. Tax was $15.23 for me, making the total $255.22 shipped. These are typically $300 online ($379 at HP), so this is a nice savings. Here's the link:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hp-slate21-pro-all-in-one-android-business-pc

What is it?

This is basically a jumbo Android tablet without a battery. Info links:

Official website
Datasheet (PDF)
User guide (PDF)

Before you get too excited, there are some cons you should be aware of:

* There is no battery (it is wall-powered only)
* It is only 2-finger multi-touch
* Heavy (13.6 pounds)
* Glossy screen (be careful of environmental glare)
* Models come with either Android 4.3 or 4.4; my 4.3 models do not upgrade from 4.3 Update: 4.4 update has been rolling out
* Some apps have issues with the device type (won't install from stock Play store) or when on Ethernet (wants Wifi specifically)

So it's basically a nice touchscreen monitor, retrofitted with an Android motherboard. It's really useful in a few particular applications, which I'll get to in a minute. As far as the nerd stuff goes, HP has the kernel available to download. Unlocking & rooting info available here and here. Here are the specs:

* 21.5" 1080p IPS LED screen with 2-finger multi-touch
* Standard 3-prong power cord
* Can be used as a touchscreen on a computer (has HDMI input & includes USB cable)
* Can be used as a regular screen via HDMI input (like for watching TV or playing consoles)
* Built-in adjustable kickstand
* Includes wired keyboard & mouse (compatible with wireless as well, I use the Logitech MK320 combo)

* Nvidia Tegra 4, 2GB RAM, 16GB flash, SD reader
* (3) USB ports (2 in the back, 1 on the side)
* 720p Webcam (yeah it's HD, but it's kinda crummy), Microphone, (2) 2w stereo speakers
* Headphone jack (doubles as a mic jack)
* Bluetooth 4.0
* Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n & 10/100 Ethernet
* 100mm VESA (requires four 4mm, 0.7-pitch, 10mm-long screws - nothing longer)

What do you use it for?

I have been using these in work applications as cheap thin clients with USB barcode scanners; discussion thread here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2354903

I recently picked one up to use as a kitchen computer. I don't use it with the keyboard or mouse, just the touchscreen (you can wall-mount it with a VESA arm or just set it on a countertop or shelf using the included heavy-duty built-in kickstand). I have a family Gmail account setup, which I then share out to our iPhones & the Android tablet in the kitchen for documents, calendars, etc. Here is what I use it for:

Google Calendar: (comes stock) I use this as a multi-purpose calendar using a family gmail account: one for birthdays, one for appointments, and one for the chores schedule (including household maintenance like when to replace the HVAC filter & stuff). This is super useful to review everyone's calendar quickly in a public area of the house, plus you can share & sync it to multiple phones, including iPhones.
Google Docs: (free) I have various notes setup, like a Shopping List & Emergency Contacts. This can be synced to iPhones as well, so you can add something to the shopping list in the kitchen, then pull it up when you're at the grocery store. Effortless & handy.
Entertainment: I won't list direct links since there's so many options & it's personal to you, but you can throw music on here (iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, Podcast Addict) & movies (Netflix etc.) for background noise. It has built-in speakers, plus an analog output jack if you want to hook it into some larger speakers (via minijack or with an RCA stereo splitter cable), as well as Bluetooth if you want to hook up to some speakers wirelessly. If you want to get fancy, you can setup Airfoil Speakers to act as an Airplay Receiver, or setup Allstream or Allcast to shoot stuff to other devices. Lots of flexibility since it's all software-driven.
Yummly: Excellent search engine for other recipe search engines.
Youtube: (comes stock) One of the best search engines for video recipes.
TubeMate: Download Youtube videos for watching later (useful for cooking shows or specific video recipes).
Home automation: I have my Wink Hub smarthome controller setup (control lights/HVAC/locks/etc.), as well as my Foscam webcam that I use as a babycam.
Evernote: (comes stock) Create the recipe on your computer (text & pics if you want), then pull it up on the Android tablet for using it when cooking.
Cooking: I got an Instant Pot Smart Bluetooth electric pressure cooker for Christmas, which has an app coming out in March for Android, which allows me to load cooking scripts wireless into the appliance, so this is more of a TBA thing. I'm also looking into things like Dormi, which turns the webcam into basically a baby monitors, so you can use it as a webcam (useful if you want to check on what you're cooking from work, like a slow cooker or something).

I've been tinkering with VNC servers to see if I can get remote access into it; may have to root it in order to do that (that would be useful with my Instant Pot, which only works on short-range Bluetooth - along with a webcam monitoring app to keep an eye on things!). As far as customization goes, the main thing I do is disable the lockscreen. You can also set it to sleep after so long (like after a minute) or go into Daydream mode if you want a clock or whatever floating around all the time (that's tied to the sleep time - if Daydream is turned off, the monitor will simply turn off instead - I like having Daydream on so I can tap the screen to wake, rather than the power button). I'll have to bust out my Kill-a-watt one of these days to see how much juice it's sucking down at idle.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Tempted to get one for the kitchen. Our family calendar, to-do, to-buy and then get a roku streaming stick for the HDMI for those few apps that android doesn't do well.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I'm sure it's fine, just wondered how 1080p looked, if it stutters, etc.

Tested it out with some MKV's over Wifi & it worked fine in Plex. Videos loaded up quickly (within a few seconds) & the picture was great (IPS screen!).

Two caveats I've found with the screen so far: one, it is a reflective screen, so depending on the angle & your light sources, you may get glare. Fortunately the kickstand is adjustable (or if you do VESA, you can get a tilt model). Second, anything you leave on the screen crud-wise will be picked up as a finger input; apparently it uses an optical touch system for the 2-finger input (via 3 cameras embedded in the bezel). I rinsed off my hands a few times while cooking & got some very small water droplets on the screen after touching it, and it started registering that as a second finger, which screwed up my ability to tap, scroll, and zoom - I had to wipe off the screen.

That sounds pretty obvious, that you should't get water or food bits on the screen, but when you're working in a kitchen sometimes it happens. So just a heads-up there - it's not like a capacative iPad or cheap resistive Android tablet that can handle some dirt on the screen, it's fairly sensitive that way due to the input capture system. But for the price/size of the tablet, eh...small hassle to deal with for the value you get out of the system.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Tempted to get one for the kitchen. Our family calendar, to-do, to-buy and then get a roku streaming stick for the HDMI for those few apps that android doesn't do well.

Yeah, that should work fine, especially since it has built-in HDMI input & a few USB ports to provide power. The top ways we use mine so far:

1. Recipe storage (Evernote) & lookup (Chrome)
2. Entertainment (Pandora, Spotify, Netflix, etc.)
3. Calendar (Google Calendar synced to iPhones)
4. Notes (Google Documents, specifically the "Word" app, synced to iPhones)
5. Multiple timers (especially where you can name each timer - sauce, pizza, etc.)
6. Games (fun to play Angry Birds or whatever when you're waiting for something in the microwave)

The smarthome applications are kind of neat too. I use the Wink system from Home Depot; they charge $300 for the touchscreen lightswitch, which basically has an iPod Touch-sized screen with some sensors & a couple of physical programmable buttons - for $60 less than that (with the Groupon), you can get a huge screen & just run the app, plus get a lot more functionality out of the unit than just being a smarthome controller. And I can monitor my babycam via IP (Foscam) too, which is handy.

I'd kind of like to get another Slate 21 for the front door, so when you walk out you can check your calendar, any family notes (i.e. buy milk!!), and do a house shutdown via the smarthome system (ex. blinds down, lights off, AC off, etc.). I could also see this being used in some capacity at the breakfast/dining table for family planning meetings...we've started doing a day-end review before bed to update our financial spreadsheet & see what the next day's agenda is for who needs a ride where, what appointments we have, what errands we need to run, etc. Having it on a big screen that everyone could see would be really really cool, although I don't know how storage or mounting would really work unless you kept it on a shelf with a long power cable & then brought it over to the table or something like that.

Last edited:

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
I am curious how good the speakers are? It has built in ethernet and runs android so it can be a dedicated small tv replacement using things like netflix and such. If you have cable (and have not cord cut) many cable providers are now streaming live tv to android devices as well.

Picture quality good as well? This could easily make a small multi use device.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I am curious how good the speakers are? It has built in ethernet and runs android so it can be a dedicated small tv replacement using things like netflix and such. If you have cable (and have not cord cut) many cable providers are now streaming live tv to android devices as well.

Picture quality good as well? This could easily make a small multi use device.

Picture quality is excellent, the screen is IPS and is Full HD (1080p). It is glossy, so it tends to be reflective, but the kickstand is adjustable so you can angle it to suit your lighting situation.

The speakers are okay. Think of them as bigger laptop speakers - not great, but they do the job. I have a small kitchen & it fills them up nicely. If I ever get around to mounting it on a swing-arm, I'll probably wire up some cube speakers in the ceiling for better sound fidelity, but if it's just like TV for background noise while you're cooking or whatever, they're fine.

I do wish this had an antenna input - it only has HDMI input, so you'd need an HD cable box, or a Bluray/DVD/modern gaming console to really put it to good use. There's a lot of neat OTA antenna stuff out there, I guess you could do it with a DTV converter box, although it'd be a bit messy with the box & wiring & remote and all. I have Netflix & Youtube on it, works great!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Looks like it's still available for $239, simply says "limited time remaining" rather than a specific end-date:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-hp-slate21-pro-all-in-one-android-business-pc

Good cooking conversion app available here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.makeproducts.conversions&hl=en

Serving size calculator:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=easicorp.recipe_calc

Another Timer app with an easy scroll-dial feature:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joekrill.qtimer

Some interesting stuff to read while waiting for your food to cook:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.davewhite.kitchenmeasure

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
This is the first I've heard of this thing. 21" tablet seems huge. Has it been rooted yet to the point where you can install roms of lollipop on it?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
This is the first I've heard of this thing. 21" tablet seems huge. Has it been rooted yet to the point where you can install roms of lollipop on it?

I believe it's been rooted (Towel Root is supposed to be the easiest), and while the Android 4.4 has been rolling out on all of my machines (as of my last check last week - I updated a couple of them at work), I haven't seen much talk about Android 5.0. Also, apparently using it as an HDMI touchscreen monitor works for Macs with the Touch Base, although it appears to be crazy expensive: ($171)

http://touch-base.com/documentation/MacOSXPlatformNotes.htm

I use mine in the kitchen & love it. It's great for a central recipe repository using Evernote and also for a family calendar. Plus it's fun for kid's games like Angry Birds & whatnot.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
2 finger multi touch? Can regular styli work on this?

Yes, it uses an optical touchscreen (not capacitive or even resistive). You can use anything from your finger to a stylus to a spatula. I just tried it with a regular BIC pen & it worked just fine. So while it's somewhat limited (2 fingers + optical sensing, which gets annoying if you use it in the kitchen & it gets a drop of water or food on the screen since it "sees" it as a touch), it is nice because you can use just about anything as an input device.

Also I have tried it yet, but I ran across iRoot the other day, which supposedly roots a lot of Android devices: http://www.mgyun.com/m/en

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Mine should be here today. Can't wait to get rid of that nasty wet-erase calendar we use for the family right now...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Mine should be here today. Can't wait to get rid of that nasty wet-erase calendar we use for the family right now...

Yeah...it's not quite as quick as just scribbling it down with a dry-erase marker (since you have to type it in), but it's also nice when it syncs up to your phone automagically. Plus the new Google Calendars app for iOS is da bomb, makes it really nice for checking out your day's agenda visually.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
The google calendar app for android sucks, and the widget is even worse. We actually use "Touch Calendar Pro" which is the only calendar with a widget that actually shows the entire month in calendar form with all activities actually written out.

We are using Wunderlist to share shopping and project lists.

Still looking for a good weather app with widgets. Currently using 1Weather which so far has the best forecast widget. I'd really like to find a weather radar widget, but nothing has worked all that well so far.

Get the mount and long power cord for it tomorrow. Mounting it on the side of the pantry, running the cord through to an outlet behind the fridge. Should be a nice clean look. Then Bluetooth out to a stereo in the adjoining living room for music/etc.