HP ProLiant DL380 G4 power consumption

lyxus

Dec 10, 2011
Hi Guys !

I was given for 200 $ a HP ProLiant DL380 G4 which is amazing.
I wanted to use this system as an amazing NAS, I could have went with an atom or similar but with this one i ave ultra fast harddrive and i could load virtual images on it...

I only concern is the power usage... It is saying that it will use 575 Watt.

So does it mean that even in a light usage the server will be using that much ?

Thanks for the clarification !

theevilsharpie

Platinum Member
Nov 2, 2009
I doubt it will use that much unless you're running it under an extremely heavy load.

HP has a Power Advisor utility that will give you an estimate of a server's electricity use, although I don't know if it has info for older models like the DL380 G4.

Keep in mind that the DL380 G4 uses obsolete SCSI drives, which are difficult to find these days. If your goal is simply to set up a NAS, you would probably be better off with something more modern.

lyxus

Dec 10, 2011
i was under the impression that i could use a SCSI hardrive from the G6 ??

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
575W is probably just the rating of the power supply. I doubt it will draw that much, but the power consumption will still be significant. The HP Power Advisor only has G6 and G7 servers though, so I can't give you a specific number.

All in all, when you consider that a DL380 G4 uses Ultra320 drives and P4-based Xeon processors, I'd say that you just wasted $200. To give you an idea, here's the performance of a fast Pentium 4 compared to a $70 G620. The G620 is easily 3-5 times faster.