HP Pavilion a1130n

copyfixer

Dec 16, 2000
This is my neighbors computer who asked me to reload it. This has a MSI ms-7093 motherboard. The onboard nic detects whether a cat5 cable is plugged or unplugged but will not connect to anything. I am A+ on computers, so I have tried all the obvious. I have also tried disabling through bios and have tried 2 pci nics; one is a linksys, other 3com and same thing on these cards. I ran system restore and I have the latest/greatest bios and drivers, same thing. When I open network connection status, it shows no packets sent or received. Neighbor said when he first got it, the cable company couldn't get nic to work with modem either, so he has been running usb to modem. I suspect that nic never worked even when new. I ran Knoppix live on it, same thing. It's got me scratching my head, any thoughts appreciated.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
!!!!

I ran into this problem twice on 2 HP computers. It turned out that the MAC address on the ethernet card set itself to all zeros.

Do an IPCONFIG /all and check the MAC address..

I had to manually fill in a new MAC address in device manager to get it to work.

EDIT: Ah, I see you changed NICs. Have you tried resetting winsock? Is it Windows XP?