HP Laptop Hell

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
Ive spent hours on the phone with theese people. Every single one of them is very unhelpfull or a liar.

Cliff notes here:

1. bought laptop from hp.com, with webcam
2. laptop arrives, no webcam on laptop
3. Call hp, turns out it was a glitch, i wasnt charged for the webcam
4. I speak to a rep, that will sell me the same laptop with a webcam for the original price i paid +$25 for the webcam, but the stipulation is that the sale will be an additional $270 from what i paid, but that $270 would later be credited back to my account to balance it out.
5. Few days later no $270 credit.
6. 2nd laptop arrives, dont open box. Call hp and explain to them im missing my $270 credit. They respond like im making this up, and they cant do anything, I was on the phone with them for this call alone for 1.5 hrs. Supervisor isnt willing to do anything either
7. Decided to return the 2nd laptop
8. The 1st laptop(the one im typing from right now) has horrible os issues which iam going to post in the other forum. If it cant be fixed im returning this one as well, and never buying from hp again.

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Phoenix15
sounds like that whole transaction was a pile of crap.

yup, and there is more to it as well. I just got off the phone with them 30 minutes ago after being on the phone with them for 30 minutes, for them to email me a return shipping label. I still havent gotten the email, and i think im gonna have to call them AGAIN. Horrible Customer Service.

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Toasthead
hp is CRAP

the laptop i have here is nice, the screen is nice at least. But windows vista(i have all the updates) performs all wacky after about 1 hr of use, the mouse will highlight the wrong things, the minimized tabs in the task bar will scoot behind the start button, its impossible to click on them. I have to use the 3d window mode thing to select a different window. Iam too pissed off right now. I feel like i've been violated, and cant do sh1t about it.

Toast head what brand laptop do you reccommend?

Dec 27, 2001
A "glitch" huh?

Send them the original order confirmation that shows the camera and they can look up the order number and see none was in the system. Case closed, unless this "glitch" was.....oh, I don't know..................you screwing up the order.

Toasthead

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I have owned two and know of four others who have owned hp laptops, and ALL of them have been in for service at least twice. I have since sold mine and bought a dell latitude which has been rock solid for a while now.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Call 1-650-857-1501 (corporate office number), and ask either to be transferred to Mr. Mark Hurd's extension, or for his e-mail address. Let him know about your problem.

Let us know the results :)

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
I have owned two and know of four others who have owned hp laptops, and ALL of them have been in for service at least twice. I have since sold mine and bought a dell latitude which has been rock solid for a while now.

ya im coming close to the first 21 days of having the 1st laptop. My range is ~1,000

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004
Originally posted by: kyzen
Call 1-650-857-1501 (corporate office number), and ask either to be transferred to Mr. Mark Hurd's extension, or for his e-mail address. Let him know about your problem.

tried calling that number, keep getting a busy signal.

kyzen

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2005
www.chrispiekarz.com
Originally posted by: platinumike

Keep trying during business hours (it's a California number), you should get through eventually.

Alternatively, mark.hurd@hp.com is probably his email address.

EDIT this will also go to higher-level employees in the comany, I'd copy and paste any e-mail to mark.hurd@hp.com into that form as well.

Get enough high level attention and they'll fix your problem.

Dec 27, 2001

All consumer notebooks are crap.......Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, all of them. I haven't bought a consumer notebook for my self or the company I work for in years.

You brought up the Latitude which is a business notebook. You'd need to compare it to the HP business line which is actually very nice.

platinumike

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2004

Keep trying during business hours (it's a California number), you should get through eventually.

Alternatively, mark.hurd@hp.com is probably his email address.

EDIT this will also go to higher-level employees in the comany, I'd copy and paste any e-mail to mark.hurd@hp.com into that form as well.

Get enough high level attention and they'll fix your problem.

I actually got through. Told them i needed to return the 2nd one, and they HELPED ME OUT FINALLY. Ive been trying for over an hour today for them to send me another return shipping label. He has a team of people that answer the phone. Im probably gonna call tommorow about returning the 1st one if it cant be fixed, thanks for that info man.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Even if you got someone to answer, you would never make it past the CEO's secretary. She would just transfer you to some "customer relations" guy who's trained to say sympathetic things like "I'm sorry to hear that" without offering any REAL assistance whatsoever.

The only way to get a computer companies attention nowadays is to post a nasty article/blog entry/YouTube video about them, and get a major tech web site like Slashdot or Gizmodo to pick up the story.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

All consumer notebooks are crap.......Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, all of them. I haven't bought a consumer notebook for my self or the company I work for in years.

You brought up the Latitude which is a business notebook. You'd need to compare it to the HP business line which is actually very nice.

My e-machines is 2.5 years old and running great. Of course, the M6805 (and a some Voodoo/Alienware model) are just rebadges of laptops made by Arima. It could have a quieter cooling system, but it's served me well.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

I've had a Dell Latitude, it was crap. I thought the chassis felt really shoddy and the system was too easily unstable until I wiped the damn thing after I got tired of it crashing all the time.

I recently replaced with a new Lenovo X61, and I'm pretty damn satisfied.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Sad issue Mike. Fortunately for me, my order was processed flawlessly and my laptop had no problems with it. Even now, after 6 months of use, it is like a brand new machine.

Hopefully your situation gets fixed quickly.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004
Sony Vaio PCGFXA-47 been 5 yrs. 4 mos. since i bought it and is still running beautifully and it has never had any mechanical problems of any kind.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
my bros dell is over 4 years old runs like a champ, i had to put a new HDD in it but other then thats its been flawless, Inspiron 8600 i think, he has a HP now one his school gave him, 17 in Screen cor 2 duom nice vid card, fingerprint reader... running good so far

Throwmeabone

Jan 9, 2006
Why did you agree to that $270 credit thing in the first place? It sounds really fishy. You should have at least asked for it in writing.