HP Elitebook, no 1.8" HDD - possible to boot from caddy?

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Hello everyone,
I just came across a HP Elitebook 2540p, which was discarded by its previous user.
The laptop works perfectly, except that it has no storage drive... and when I looked around, it seems that the 1.8-inch form factor is crazy expensive.

However... I also noticed that this machine takes a second "regular" HDD/SSD inside a caddy which replaces the optical drive.

So, at this point, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good idea to just get a cheap caddy for $10 and install an older 2.5" HDD in it...

BUT... I don't know if this laptop can be configured to boot from the caddy, and just run Windows like that... any ideas?

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
go into the bios and see what the boot order options are. though, there may not be any because there's no drives present. i can't imagine someone would customize the bios so that it couldn't boot from an available drive on that channel.

apparently the optical bay is a USB port, so it's going to be slow.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Boot options should be available through the F10 Setup function. That will let you see and select from the Boot Order. As ElFenix says, you will need a drive in the caddy to have it listed.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Thanks for the prompt responses, folks!
What you're saying - if I understand - is that I most likely need to have the caddy prepped with a SSD or HDD and installed in the machine, before I'll know for sure?

Hmmm... OK...

Also, if ElFenix is right, and this is a USB connection... how slow will it be?

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Ihave a HDD in a caddy (Ultrabay) in my Lenovo - it is regular SATA, not USB. If your HP Elite's optical was SATA, then the caddy/adapter will most likely also be SATA. Same connector!

Yep! For boot options to include an added HDD in the optical bay, it has to be there to be "seen."

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
not a big fan of hp business laptops. But we gotta give them credit for trailing behind lenovo.

These competed with the x200 and x201 from lenovo, which took full 9.5 hdd/ssd. The lenovos during c2d and 1st gen i5 days that needed 1.8s were t400s, t410s, x301, etc., but had bay options as well. The advantage of the hp, was having an optical in the small form factor with the hdd/ssd while supporting a full i5 mobile without compromising to a low voltage i-series.

If u dont wanna break the bank, be aware that these laptops have the CPU fused directly into the mobo, and for whatever damn reason, are prone to random circuit sectors failing at any given time.

Anyway, 64gb ssd 1.8 for 50 bucks shipped on ebay. The 1.8 hdds are way way too damn slow. You can run it without the 1.8 bracket, just slide it into the spot for it and reinforce with rubber or material that wont deter longevity, so save your money.
If the laptop has an optical, u can swap it out for a bay that takes 2.5 drives.the chipset will work well with 7200rpm 320gb and under, 7mm, or 7mm 2.5 ssd.

Bios has pre-uefi draft (almost zero support from hp) options before win8 took full advantage of it. Haven't tried it yet, but since it's not a dell bios, i would still always turn it off.

If u really wanna save money, linux boot on cd/USB.

Ps - its a business laptop its more customizable boot options allow end users to setup for corporate deployment.
And no, the USB on the optical connects to a different socket, and does not deter speed from the sata port, same goes with the ssd/hdd media bays.

Last edited: