Hp elitebook 8440p power connector is broken

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
this is the youtube channel for a laptop repair show that used to stream live. the show ended an he compiled a dvd. looks like they are available on YT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLjwid60Rc

he does a vaio power jack fix here, his preferred method is to do a full swap and ditch custom power plug and use an off the shelf universal format jack that will work with any radio shack type multi adapter.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
You can get the oem connector of ebay, but you will have to know how to use a solder iron.

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
are most laptops able to power up just with the ac adapter and w/o the battery right? i tried power up the hp w/o the battery, just with the ac adapter, but it does not power up at all.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
are most laptops able to power up just with the ac adapter and w/o the battery right? i tried power up the hp w/o the battery, just with the ac adapter, but it does not power up at all.

Yes, you don't need the battery to power up a laptop.

max347

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2007
The jack is loose correct?

Is the other HP you have an 8440p as well? If so, charge a battery in the other one and swap it into the broken one. If the laptop powers on with the good battery (no ac), then I would take it apart to look at the solder points on the power jack. If not, then you likely have a motherboard issue. I would rule that out before buying a jack/opening it up (because it would be free and easy).

atguy10

Apr 5, 2010
As someone already mentioned, try turning it on with only a charged battery. If it works then the power jack is broken. If it doesn't work then the motherboard has problems.

Either way, you're looking at replacing the motherboard because the power jack is soldered to the motherboard...unless you want to de-solder the old power jack and re-solder a new power jack.