Hp elitebook 8440p power connector is broken

Discussion in 'SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs' started by The_Dude8, Jan 17, 2013.

1. The_Dude8

The_Dude8 Diamond Member

Has anyone taking apart a HP elitebook 8440P laptop before? thinking the power connector is broken, since it doesn't charge the battery anymore. I know the ac adapter works since i use the same adapter to charge a different hp.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13520_ca/13520_ca.PDF

How easy is it to fix a loose power connector? Anyone done it before on their old laptop?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - elitebook 8440p power Forum Date
    Win 8.1 Notebook 'Power Options - Edit Plan Settings - Turn Off the Display' not functioning propery SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 21, 2016
    HP elitebook 2530p SSD upgrade? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jul 10, 2015
    HP Elitebook 820 G1 or 840 G1 SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Nov 11, 2014
    good cheap HP elitebook tablet? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Sep 5, 2014
    HP Elitebook, no 1.8" HDD - possible to boot from caddy? SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones PCs Jul 3, 2014

3. gorobei

gorobei Platinum Member

this is the youtube channel for a laptop repair show that used to stream live. the show ended an he compiled a dvd. looks like they are available on YT.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQLjwid60Rc

he does a vaio power jack fix here, his preferred method is to do a full swap and ditch custom power plug and use an off the shelf universal format jack that will work with any radio shack type multi adapter.

4. paul878

paul878 Senior member

You can get the oem connector of ebay, but you will have to know how to use a solder iron.

5. The_Dude8

The_Dude8 Diamond Member

are most laptops able to power up just with the ac adapter and w/o the battery right? i tried power up the hp w/o the battery, just with the ac adapter, but it does not power up at all.

6. paul878

paul878 Senior member

Yes, you don't need the battery to power up a laptop.

7. max347

max347 Platinum Member

The jack is loose correct?

Is the other HP you have an 8440p as well? If so, charge a battery in the other one and swap it into the broken one. If the laptop powers on with the good battery (no ac), then I would take it apart to look at the solder points on the power jack. If not, then you likely have a motherboard issue. I would rule that out before buying a jack/opening it up (because it would be free and easy).

8. atguy10

atguy10 Junior Member

As someone already mentioned, try turning it on with only a charged battery. If it works then the power jack is broken. If it doesn't work then the motherboard has problems.

Either way, you're looking at replacing the motherboard because the power jack is soldered to the motherboard...unless you want to de-solder the old power jack and re-solder a new power jack.