howtosurvive

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
Me, it could turn out to be pretty good, but i wish it had online coop... it seems the campaign is only playable in locally, which sucks

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
still..might be patched in price is right
i like the ideas in the game
if kbm support is there i might bite.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Looks a bit like the OLD POSTAL or some of those top down iso shooters (ton on steam). I think I will pick it up, amazing as it is, I'm not tired of zombies yet.. and you know they are over done when COD and BF do um too :)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Also bought it, find it quite fun, a tiny bit repatiative but so far about 4 hours I feel good about my purchase.

I was worried as it console made and a few complained about controls (on PC), keys can be remapped, and I had no issues with them, i felt in control at all times. Standard WASD with a small circle where you want to aim.. makes running away and shoot back easy, also has a light gray circle on target when you are aimed at it.. overall, almost to easy to hit what you are aiming at. Again, never felt like controls sucked, worked well IMHO. Some interface stuff seems a bit clunky, crafting, you pick item, then have to hit a COMBINE button and select the next item to combine, then often you have a new (but unusable item) item which you have to repeat the process, select it, hit the combine button and select a new item to add.. this can be a bit boring as the game give you instruction (blueprint drops are sort of treasures in game) on exactly how to make stuff and the order.. so making you dig an instruction book out and follow it is sorta silly. The game (as far as I can tell) wont let you combine stuff unless you have the blueprint, so experimentation is not an option. You cant make it till you know how. good news, this is small part of game and very small gripe. Inventory is small and you will need to pick and chose what to keep and leave, early in game its hard as you don't know what you need and don't need.

You do have quests, survivors will give you some and so will monkeys (yes monkeys), you need to eat, drink and sleep, good news is sleep and drink are both clearly marked on map, sleep - i think they did this very cool.. you have to sleep, and you need to do it when you need too.. so no running around till it works you (you get weak and instead of 2-3 hits to kill a zombie it can take 10, this is also on food and drink). To sleep there are specific spots with "huts" you can close to be safe. the problem is, when one is opened, it makes a bunch of noise and pulls a hoard of zombies. SO planning to sleep is important, as is food and water. Zombies are varied, there are BOSS ones also, they DO respawn after an area is complete (mixed feeling on this, if combat was harder I would hate it, now it just feels like its to stretch the game, as you re-cover areas a few times its maybe for the best, just crossing empty areas would get old quick).

Maps are a set of islands, you need to complete objective on one to move to the next, but it appears you can backtrack. Spots on Islands are barricaded so you cant explore, but it appears you will be able to later. Early in game there are bushes across some paths, a machete (obtained fairly early in game) will clear them, opening new paths. The game works somewhat Like the FALLOUT games, there are books laying around that have a somewhat funny way of instructing you how to do stuff.

Combat is fairly simple, Diablo like, it has one thing i like, you get rushed by 5 zombies and hit one there is sometimes a "killing move" (push a button) when done it will kill the zombie you are on and when it "runs" it will knock back any other zombies, so huge swarms are manageable if played correctly, i liked this.

Overall it plays well, has a ok crafting system and the game mechanics of sleep,food and water work OK and don't feel tacked on (or a burden). I hate rating games (so wont) but this one is good in my book.. for $10 its easily worth it. If i had to put a downside on it.. crafting is a bit clunky, the backtrack to areas after you get an item is somewhat annoying, but does extend the game.

edit- forgot, you do level by killing and can build your guy with a skill tree. I am currently using fire (stick and a campfire you can burn zombies. i chose a 50% more fire damage perk) but you can custom build to your strengths.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Also bought it, find it quite fun, a tiny bit repatiative but so far about 4 hours I feel good about my purchase.

<snip>

edit- forgot, you do level by killing and can build your guy with a skill tree. I am currently using fire (stick and a campfire you can burn zombies. i chose a 50% more fire damage perk) but you can custom build to your strengths.

Very nice review. Thank you for posting it.

I bought dead island a few months ago and was not very impressed with it.

Left 4 dead 2 is getting old.

So I am looking for a new zombie style survival game.

Last edited: