HOWTO: Setup Windows Network Using Linksys WRT54G Router

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Currently have a simple file/printer sharing network (two XP Pro desktops, wired) running using NetBEUI off of my Linksys WRT54G router. Everything is hunky dory. But my wireless laptop won't access file/printer sharing. NetBEUI not working over wireless.

So geeks here on ATN forum suggested I drop NetBEUI in favor of good old TCP/IP networking, which is the default install on XP.

I uninstalled NetBEUI, bound the adapter to TCP/IP and all, but I cannot see my other computers on the network. Heck, I can't even see my local computer on the network.

Workgroup, computer name, unique IP address (assigned by router), etc. have been set correctly on the computers.

I thought the WRT54G included a 4-port switch. Do I need to buy anything else to get my network to work?

Help please.

travisray2004

Jul 6, 2005
Ymm,

Does the other(two XP Pro Desktops, wired) computers have a firewall enabled?

Is your laptop running xp pro? If not you may have to map a network connection, because of the creditals problems that exist on XP Pro networks.

Is there any network shares? Is the printer shared, and working on the desktop pcs?

Does the laptop have working internet? This is to check if it connecting to AP (Access Point).

All computers are using the same network mask, ie. 192.168.1.x or something like that ?

If all of the above is fine. Do this.

Goto Start => Run
type : \\DESKTOPx\C$ where DESKTOPx is the computer name of a windows xp pro desktop, if you do not know if it is, go on that desktop, and run ipconfig /all , and see the ip address, then on the laptop do :

Start => Run \\IPADDRESS\C$ where ipaddress is the address of the desktop. Sorry if this is to plain. If it tell you it could not find resource, the chances of this is because of network login is invalid.

Hope this helps.

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick responses.

I am trying to get the two wired desktops to talk to each other first, then work with the laptop. They both have shared drives and printers enabled.

I didn't even fool with the laptop...it has Vista on it. It gets proper internet access, so AP is working fine.

I have Zonealarm running on all machines, could the problem be here?

I had not specified the network mask, since the router assigns the IP addresses based on automatic DHCP configuration:

The DHCP Active IP Table Shows:

DHCP Server IP Address : 192.168.1.1

DESKTOP 2 -- 192.168.1.100
DESKTOP 1 -- 192.168.1.101
LAPTOP -- 192.168.1.102

Everything works fine using NetBEUI, but TCP/IP doesn't. One question, do I have re-assign shares when I take off NetBEUI and enable TCP/IP. I didn't think so, since all the drives were showing as already being shared on the network.

travisray2004

Jul 6, 2005
I believe the issue is with the firewall. If you like, i can take a look at it later, and see if i can get it to work. I am at work now and do not have access to the site i use for remote assistance.

In case you ask it is http://logmein.com . I will give you my details if you want my personal help.

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Originally posted by: travisray2004
I believe the issue is with the firewall. If you like, i can take a look at it later, and see if i can get it to work. I am at work now and do not have access to the site i use for remote assistance.

In case you ask it is http://logmein.com . I will give you my details if you want my personal help.

Yes, you are right. I shut down Zonealarm and the TCP/IP network is working fine!

So how do I keep ZA running and still have networking over TCP/IP?

:) :) :)

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Okay, I think I got it figured out. I opened up ZA and placed my adapters 192.168.1.10x on all computers from the Internet Zone to the Trusted Zone and the network is working okay.

Now my question, does this open up my network to the Internet?

I am still behind my router based hardware NAT/SPI firewall, but I am still concerned.

Any thoughts?

Pradeep

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
Open TCP port 445 on your ZoneAlarm firewall and open it only to computer on your network, subnet 255.255.255.0. That should allow the computers to see each other.

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
I prefer to specify things manually rather than using the "Trusted Zone" idea, but I believe the Trusted Zone restricts access to your local network/subnet.

pradeep1

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
Very cool. Thank you all for your help and guidance. I am not networking happily away with both wired and wireless sharing everything.

engineereeyore, I'll check out the port 445 suggestion later tonight.

I am still safe, right, even with ZA in trusted zone? I am not inadvertently exposing my network contents to the baddies out there, am I?

engineereeyore

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: pradeep1
Very cool. Thank you all for your help and guidance. I am not networking happily away with both wired and wireless sharing everything.

engineereeyore, I'll check out the port 445 suggestion later tonight.

I am still safe, right, even with ZA in trusted zone? I am not inadvertently exposing my network contents to the baddies out there, am I?

I don't believe so, but I don't proclaim to be an expert on ZoneAlarm. I believe that by doing what you did, you're only opening yourself up to other computers connected to your router, so you should be safe. But again, not an expert on ZoneAlarm.

travisray2004

Jul 6, 2005
Your good as long as your dont have a virus/trojans on your computers, and have wpa security enabled on your wireless ap/router.