How's the Silverstone 80-to-92mm fan?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I have an Opty 146 that didnt seem to clock very high, but now today I got in the stock dual core hsf, and I'm running 2.8ghz right now. I needed +.075 V for this to be stable enough to even use windows for a few minutes. I have a Epox 9NPA3 Ultra which I read overvolts by .1 V as it is. So in reality I'm running at about 1.525 V if the sensor is correct. I'm priming SmallFFTs and the load temp is 48-50°. I was at 2.6ghz at 1.45 V stable, with load temps 45° or below. With the stock cooler, only 2.5ghz and somewhat 2.6ghz was stable. The temps were about where they are now with 250mhz more and more voltage. So the dual core hsf is definitely better than the regular stock, especially at just $15 shipped.

But 2850 freezes my system. I don't think its really worth going for +.2 V over (about 1.56-1.57 V) for just 50 more mhz, but I would consider that voltage for a 3000hz overclock.

So, do my temps seem a little high, and if so, how is that Silverstone fan? Would it reduce load temps by a few degrees?

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
But damn, that Silverstone fan is pretty expensive too. 15 bucks for a single 80/92mm fan? Better hope it's damn good.

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Indeed, only $5 (well $11 shipped) at SVC.com.

Speedfan reports the stock fan at ~2800rpm. I attempted to find data on AMDs website about the fan specs, such as noise and CFM rating but didn't find anything. Because that Silverstone is only a 2100rpm fan. I'm not sure how the dB and CFM compare to the stock fan. Well I'd imagine it'd be quieter, but by how much, and more importantly, will it cool better?

jniles

Dec 31, 2005
I also have had ideas of trying this fan but I would like to mod the temp sensor on the stock fan 1st to see what it will do @ 5200 rpm , ? cfm

or

I could put my TT turboflow (aka "DUSTBUSTER" ) and crank it up to 4800rpm,75 cfm to see what my max cooling would be with the stock heatsink, I wouldnt be able to hear myself think though 48db:shocked:

I will post results when i get around to ripping apart the rig,hopefully soon

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: jniles
I also have had ideas of trying this fan but I would like to mod the temp sensor on the stock fan 1st to see what it will do @ 5200 rpm , ? cfm

or

I could put my TT turboflow (aka "DUSTBUSTER" ) and crank it up to 4800rpm,75 cfm to see what my max cooling would be with the stock heatsink, I wouldnt be able to hear myself think though 48db:shocked:

I will post results when i get around to ripping apart the rig,hopefully soon

Maybe you could put the AMD fan on another 3-pin header and put another fan on the CPU header (to prevent the alarm from going off)? Might be easier than messing with shorting the temp sensor, and less permanent.

I just got the Silverstone fan everyone is talking about and replaced the fan on my AMD heatpipe (new style) heatsink. The old fan was running at about 2700-2800RPM, and the Silverstone runs at 2100. There is no detectable difference in idle temps (both old and new fans maintain the processor at the same temp as case ambient); load temps dropped by maybe 1C, although that slight a decrease could easily be attributed to subtle changes in room temp or airflow.

The stock fan was barely audible, and the Silverstone is certainly no louder. It is difficult to say if it is any quieter.

Overall, for $5, I can't complain. And it looks neat.

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Indeed, only $5 (well $11 shipped) at SVC.com. SVC will ship small orders by first class mail uninsured to save on shipping - just ask.

.bh.

HO

May 23, 2000
Originally posted by: dawza
I just got the Silverstone fan everyone is talking about...no detectable difference in idle temps...load temps dropped by maybe 1C...

OK, so no benefit for CPU temps. How about "spill over?" Can you feel any airflow from the oversize fan around your VRMs or NB?

dawza

Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: HO
Originally posted by: dawza
I just got the Silverstone fan everyone is talking about...no detectable difference in idle temps...load temps dropped by maybe 1C...

OK, so no benefit for CPU temps. How about "spill over?" Can you feel any airflow from the oversize fan around your VRMs or NB?

There is some additional spillover as you mentioned (although the NB is too far away to benefit from it). If anything, it might help cool the passive heatsink over the MOSFETS, but I would hardly consider the added breeze to be of any significance.

Bottom line, IMO- get the fan if it makes you feel better to have a thicker 92mm fan blowing on your heatsink. The slight decrease in noise is not enough to make the difference between having a loud and a quiet cooling solution. It is possible that at lower RPMs (i.e. if I turned on the mobo fan controller), the SS would provide superior cooling- again, whether a possible ~1C drop in temps justifies spending $5-10 is up to you.

The fan is of pretty good quality, though- definitely worth $5. And, who knows- maybe results will be better in other setups.