How's my photoshopping?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
1st pic:
Not bad, clone stamping is obvious on the lower right and the face is starting to blow out. May want a bit more tone and contrast in the face.

2nd pic:
Not bad at all, but fringing can be seen around the dogs head, and the model's elbow looks weird.

3rd pic:
Good job!

If you will be doing this type of work often, I suggest you invest in Vertus Fluid Mask. It can be used as a standalone app or a PS plugin. It has a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it will make your life 1000% times easier. They also have training vids ont heir site.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
The Presence:

where is the fringing on the dog's head (btw I think its a bear ;) ) I can't see it...

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: magomago
The Presence:

where is the fringing on the dog's head (btw I think its a bear ;) ) I can't see it...

Yeah, I guess it is a bear. :)
Around the head you can see a dark edge.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: ThePresence
Originally posted by: magomago
The Presence:

Yeah, I guess it is a bear. :)
Around the head you can see a dark edge.

oohhh i seee now...and of course its a bear ;)

and astroguy - zomg you are walnut? Holla at ya from Irvine ;)

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
i think the photoshopped pics are a bit too bright. and i actually prefer the original in the 2nd one

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
You can light professionally without professional equipment. This is one area I don't feel photoshop is a replacement for.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
1st pic:
Not bad, clone stamping is obvious on the lower right and the face is starting to blow out. May want a bit more tone and contrast in the face.

2nd pic:
Not bad at all, but fringing can be seen around the dogs head, and the model's elbow looks weird.

3rd pic:
Good job!

If you will be doing this type of work often, I suggest you invest in Vertus Fluid Mask. It can be used as a standalone app or a PS plugin. It has a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it it will make your life 1000% times easier. They also have training vids ont heir site.

I think the first two, in general, just looks bad mostly from the lens I used. The sharpness and contrast of the pictures taken with the lens was pretty poor to begin with.
I need a bit more attention to detail in my editing.

Thanks for the tips, and the suggestion for the plugin. :)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Originally posted by: virtuamike
You can light professionally without professional equipment. This is one area I don't feel photoshop is a replacement for.

Really? Any tips? Reflectors?
I really want to get good lighting for my photos.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Originally posted by: astroidea

I'm really want to get good lighting for my photos.

Read this book for starters -
Light: Science & Magic

Once you have some basic theory to go on, then you can start using anything and everything as a light modifier.

I also strongly recommend strobist.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

I'm thinking of giving this a shot sometime. If you do it, let me know how it works for you.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

I'm thinking of giving this a shot sometime. If you do it, let me know how it works for you.

Give it a try, don't see why it wouldn't work. I've seen studios build softboxes before because it's a lot more economical (plus you can make it any size you want, and I've seen some huge ones). I'd experiment with adding an internal baffle though to even out the coverage. And maybe try silver instead of white on the inside. Oh and maybe experiment with different diffusion materials. And maybe try to figure out a way to put a grid on it. And maybe . . . well you get the point. Play around with it :)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

Give it a try, don't see why it wouldn't work. I've seen studios build softboxes before because it's a lot more economical (plus you can make it any size you want, and I've seen some huge ones). I'd experiment with adding an internal baffle though to even out the coverage. And maybe try silver instead of white on the inside. Oh and maybe experiment with different diffusion materials. And maybe try to figure out a way to put a grid on it. And maybe . . . well you get the point. Play around with it :)

Any recommendations for something more conventional? Something more portable? Would a softbox adapter for a flash be comparable for a starter?

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

Any recommendations for something more conventional? Something more portable? Would a softbox adapter for a flash be comparable for a starter?

It's hard to make that comparison without knowing what you want to do with your light.

Yes, a portable softbox for a flash is going to look very different from a 2'x3' softbox -there's a drastic difference in size and coverage. But how you use them will determine whether or not those differences matter.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002

It's hard to make that comparison without knowing what you want to do with your light.

Yes, a portable softbox for a flash is going to look very different from a 2'x3' softbox -there's a drastic difference in size and coverage. But how you use them will determine whether or not those differences matter.

I'd be happy if I could use it as a directional spotlight kind of thing that provides soft even lighting for the subject.

btw, your gallery is truly amazing. You must be making loads of money with talent like that.

CSMR

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2004
1st original looks much better in all respects. Second only better for the removed background; colour and tone worse. Third photoshopped is better because it's more arty.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000

I'd be happy if I could use it as a directional spotlight kind of thing that provides soft even lighting for the subject.

btw, your gallery is truly amazing. You must be making loads of money with talent like that.

Hah nah, I barely make enough to pay for my toys. Still working at it ;)

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
1st pic:

2nd pic:

3rd pic:
Good job!

Hey I just fixed the little quirks you mentioned on pic 2, and used it as a sample to apply for this job on craigslist, along with the third pic.

Well today, the recruiter called me and told me to come in tomorrow to fill out the paperwork to start the job :D.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
You should put a NSFW warning in there. For those who don't read and just start clicking....like me :p