Howard Dean on Larry King

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: MonstaThrilla
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Google is your freind;)
Dean sealed records for 10 years instead of the customary 6.

Let's see what Google turned up:

Burlington Free Press

Shortly before he left office in January, Dean said he wanted a longer period because he already was running for the presidency.

"Well, there are future political considerations," he said at a news conference. "We didn't want anything embarrassing appearing in the papers at a critical time in any future endeavor."

There's some of that straight talking you were asking about earlier.

But where oh where would you get such a juicy tidbit from I wonder? You weren't perusing the Burlington Free Press last week were you?

Ah, the bastion of reputable journalism that is the Drudge Report

So is this the source which you were trying to not admit?

Also, for the love of Allah, lay off the smileys.

No, I wasn't "hiding" sources or not admitting them, I just feel that if you are going to support a man based on his "record" in Vermont then you should have come across this little tidbit concerning how much and long these files are unavailable to the public. Why 10 years? why not the 6 which is normal?

:D <- Just for Monsta ;)(<-that one too :) )[doh - did it again]

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUYAsk J. F. Kerry That's all I'll say at this juncture.
If you believe Dean is clean, then you are more niave than you claim Bush supporters to be.;)

CkG

Cool, you're rhyming now?

But seriously - are you under some sort of vow of secrecy? Puh-leeze
rolleye.gif
If you know something, why not share?

I told you I don't have anything...yet;) Ask Kerry these questions - he is the one who may have it. Do you people not follow the news? I've been working my ass off at work, haven't had time to be on here, let alone mow my yard and I still know that Kerry was accused of digging for dirt on Dean? one of the places - google "Kerry digs for dirt on Dean"

<snip>
"In the latest twist to their political feud, Sen. John F. Kerry's presidential campaign flatly denied a published report it sent staffers to Vermont to dig up dirt on rival Howard Dean and his wife.
</snip>

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
No, I wasn't "hiding" sources or not admitting them, I just feel that if you are going to support a man based on his "record" in Vermont then you should have come across this little tidbit concerning how much and long these files are unavailable to the public. Why 10 years? why not the 6 which is normal?

CkG

Ah I see what you're trying to do here...

If he doesn't open his record, it obviously means there's something he wants to hide from us," said Barnett.

Cad, this logic has also been applied to the current administration. If I recall correctly, a lot of the flag-avatar crowd around here shot it down pretty thoroughly. Personally it makes me wonder too, considering how much I despise government secrecy. Doesn't mean there's anything there either. I'm sure you'd apply the same standard to Bush, no?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

CkG

Ah I see what you're trying to do here...

If he doesn't open his record, it obviously means there's something he wants to hide from us," said Barnett.

Cad, this logic has also been applied to the current administration. If I recall correctly, a lot of the flag-avatar crowd around here shot it down pretty thoroughly. Personally it makes me wonder too, considering how much I despise government secrecy. Doesn't mean there's anything there either. I'm sure you'd apply the same standard to Bush, no?

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander? ;) I don't proclaim Bush is a squeaky clean President, and as I've stated before - I disagree with things he has done but for people to think that Dean is clean is naive. If people question the Bush Admin about hiding things(energy notes;)) then to be consistant they should question Dean hiding his stuff for 10 years instead of the 6, no? why the extra 4 years?

;)

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUYWhat's good for the goose isn't good for the gander? ;) I don't proclaim Bush is a squeaky clean President, and as I've stated before - I disagree with things he has done but for people to think that Dean is clean is naive. If people question the Bush Admin about hiding things(energy notes;)) then to be consistant they should question Dean hiding his stuff for 10 years instead of the 6, no? why the extra 4 years?

So you don' t have anything on Dean, yet you've already pronounced him "unclean"? Not much credibility in that. What, you have a hunch or something?

BTW, CNN.com - Larry King transcript if you want to read the interview.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander? ;) I don't proclaim Bush is a squeaky clean President, and as I've stated before - I disagree with things he has done but for people to think that Dean is clean is naive. If people question the Bush Admin about hiding things(energy notes;)) then to be consistant they should question Dean hiding his stuff for 10 years instead of the 6, no? why the extra 4 years?

Yeesh. Show us the quote of where we said that we thought Dean was clean? Putting words in our mouth a bit? No, he's probably not clean, but neither you nor I have evidence to prove or disprove that accusation.

And here's what this week's Time article has to say about this non-scandal:

Dean spent his last year in office initiating a presidential run. He even requested that the state keep his gubernatorial records sealed for 10 years?four years longer than standard and just enough time to cover an eight-year Oval Office stint. Even Vermont Republicans suspect nothing too scandalous lurks in the papers, but they say the move reflects his giant ambitions.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yeesh. Show us the quote of where we said that we thought Dean was clean? Putting words in our mouth a bit? No, he's probably not clean, but neither you nor I have evidence to prove or disprove that accusation.

And here's what this week's Time article has to say about this non-scandal:

Dean spent his last year in office initiating a presidential run. He even requested that the state keep his gubernatorial records sealed for 10 years?four years longer than standard and just enough time to cover an eight-year Oval Office stint. Even Vermont Republicans suspect nothing too scandalous lurks in the papers, but they say the move reflects his giant ambitions.

Hear's a clue, Sherlock ;) - IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT. Did I say YOU thought something? Quit putting words in my mouth;)
The media is protraying him as this "golden boy" and a strait-shooter. He is neither golden nor an honest straight shooter. He dodges questions just like the rest of the politicians.
The whole point of my posting was to show that Dean wasn't "different" and he's just another politician looking for power.

DealMonkey - I've read the transcript. Did you read my PM?;)

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
$450 B deficit /300M americans = $1500 for every man, woman, and child in America. So Bush is borrowing $1500 on my behalf, but only giving me $400? He can shove it.
I am setting it aside for anti-Bush political contributions in the 2004 election year.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Dean is as big of a joke as the rest of them. He is pegged as a strait shooter and a "no-nonsense" talker. Yeah right. Just take a peak at his comments in regards to gay marriage on the LK interview. He does everything but ANSWER Larrys question...4 TIMES!!!

You Dean supporters are going to be in for a big surprise once one of the 8 other dwarfs decide to attack him. There is dirt on him...it's just a matter of time before one of his opponents start using it. (and no Bush doesn't need to step in to attack - the others will destroy him before Bush gets the chance)

....Hmmmmm....

Sealed his Gubernatorial records for 10 years? Hmmm .... wonder why he did that?

Dean is toast once Americams find out that he is just another dirty politician let alone figure out that he's going to take their tax-cuts away.(better not spend those $400 checks if you want Dean to win;) )

CkG

For how long has Bush sealed Reagan's presidential records? If Reagan is the saint of the Republican party, why the secrecy?

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000

Hear's a clue, Sherlock - IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT. Did I say YOU thought something? Quit putting words in my mouth

note: annoying ass smileys deleted

What a copout! I don't know of any Dean supporters (and believe me I know quite a few) who think that he's a clean golden boy. I assumed that you meant "the people" who think he's clean are the Dean supporters, myself being one of them.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Hear's a clue, Sherlock - IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT. Did I say YOU thought something? Quit putting words in my mouth

What a copout! I don't know of any Dean supporters (and believe me I know quite a few) who think that he's a clean golden boy. I assumed that you meant "the people" who think he's clean are the Dean supporters, myself being one of them.

rolleye.gif

Miss the part about the media did we? And yes, there are Dean supporters who think that he is as clean as he and the media are trying to protray him as - I've talked to several.

It's a copout when I say it but not when you do? This earns you another
rolleye.gif

Dean is just another liberal politician - get over it.

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

I wonder what the Dirt on Dean is?
Did he secretly run a 450+ Billion Dollar Deficit?
Did he lie to the American people to start a war that he doesn't know how to finish?
Were 2.5 Million jobs lost under his tenure that he's trying to sweep under the rug?
Did he piss off almost every single ally the US has, and doesn't want anyone to find out?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SuperTool
$450 B deficit /300M americans = $1500 for every man, woman, and child in America. So Bush is borrowing $1500 on my behalf, but only giving me $400? He can shove it.
I am setting it aside for anti-Bush political contributions in the 2004 election year.

Off-topic but I'll respond.

Yep, the gov't is spending atleast $1500 more per person than it should. To fix that we need to curb spending(ie cut, hack, slash). I went over how much Bush's tax-cuts are in relation to the current deficit in a different thread.

CkG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Did he lie to the American people to start a war that he doesn't know how to finish?
Were 2.5 Million jobs lost under his tenure that he's trying to sweep under the rug?
Did he piss off almost every single ally the US has, and doesn't want anyone to find out?

Do leftys have anything else but the same tired rhetoric to spew?
rolleye.gif

CkG

Edit- I'm done feeding the trolls now :D

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Off-topic but I'll respond.

Yep, the gov't is spending atleast $1500 more per person than it should. To fix that we need to curb spending(ie cut, hack, slash). I went over how much Bush's tax-cuts are in relation to the current deficit in a different thread.

CkG

Bush had his chance, he did not lead, Dean will.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

rolleye.gif

CkG

You are spewing rumors of dirt on Dean. Hot air.
I am just pointing out that whatever skeletons Dean has in his closet, I doubt they will be worse than the skeletons Bush has out of the closet for everyone to see. Bush record speaks for itself. No need for rhetoric.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

rolleye.gif

CkG

I am just pointing out that whatever skeletons Dean has in his closet, I doubt they will be worse than the skeletons Bush has out of the closet for everyone to see. Bush record speaks for itself. No need for rhetoric.

Ah, good for you, you realize he is just another politician then. That was my point;) I don't give a rats ass about his skeletons, because he can't beat Bush with ideas so I have no need to rely on dirt.

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

rolleye.gif

CkG

Ah, good for you, you realize he is just another politician then. That was my point;) I don't give a rats ass about his skeletons, because he can't beat Bush with ideas so I have no need to rely on dirt.

CkG

Which of Bush's "ideas" makes him unbeatable?

Jan 12, 2003

...the very fact he has ideas; anyone can stand before the American people and spout off with class warfare arguments from the '60s...Dean is running on the same platform everyone before him ran on...instead of attacking their opponent, the liberal left should conceive some new ideas of their own and run a platform like Clinton did: "It's time for a change." Keep attacking Bush and continue to offer no new ideas; I'll invite you to my victory BBQ when we sweep the entire government again. The fact that Republicans control everything should indicate that your class warfare nonsense is not salient with today's voters.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx

...the very fact he has ideas; anyone can stand before the American people and spout off with class warfare arguments from the '60s...Dean is running on the same platform everyone before him ran on...instead of attacking their opponent, the liberal left should conceive some new ideas of their own and run a platform like Clinton did: "It's time for a change." Keep attacking Bush and continue to offer no new ideas; I'll invite you to my victory BBQ when we sweep the entire government again. The fact that Republicans control everything should indicate that your class warfare nonsense is not salient with today's voters.

The fact that Republicans control everything and have nothing good to show for it should indicate something to you. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
Have you heard Dean? He is for balancing the budget. Here is an idea that is foreign to GOP presidents.
Bush might have "ideas" but he has no good ideas for this country, and certainly no "ideas" that make him unbeatable.
Anyways, whatever "ideas" Bush had, the results are on display. 450 Billion Deficit, 2.5 million more unemployed, two open ended wars, one under false pretences, diplomatic split with our allies, huge explosion of government spending. That is what GOP president, congress, USSC brings you. So I am not sure what you would be celebrating at your BBQ.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Hah, Bush couldnt be any luckier.

Hes going to be sitting back while the three democrat factions(far left, in the middle, moderate) destroy eachother. Deans far left, Kerry is in the middle and Libermen is moderate. It doesnt matter who wins, theres not going to be much left of any of them after winning the democrat nomination. Liberman is the best shot at the dems getting back in the white house, and that said its not a very good shot. Deans to far left for the vast majority of america, and Kerry's wife will be his undoing.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Lieberman and Kerry are not alternatives to Bush, Dean is. If come 2004, voters are sick of Bush, and want an alternative, they'll elect Dean, but not Kerry or Lieberman, because those two schmucks are on record supporting Dubya's failed policies.
The only credible opposition to Bush at this point is Dean. The others are Washington insiders, like Dubya, who sold out long time ago.

da loser

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
i hope dean wins the dem nomination, it'll give time for a great debate in the us and see where we're headed and what people want.

big vs small government i say this because i believe bush has purposely produced a deficit and cut taxes so that in the future he will be able to eliminate many programs, if he were to start cutting now the outcry would be huge and unhelpful in a downturn, plus he's shifting so much burden to the states to weaken the federal government. it's a brilliant strategy, the democrats have become fiscal conservatives and can only raise taxes to their previous level at worst, or if bush wins eliminate spending at best.

un vs coalitions of the willing, whether the us is willing to compromise with other nations

liberal vs conservative values although liberals will win in the end, it's inevitable

of course, dean has positioned himself as bush-lite of 2000. a compassionate conservative. he's a fiscal conservative, albeit in an economic boom. except he believes in helping people with uhc, bush has no child left behind. plus he doesn't want to fight unneeded wars and come back home. he's bringing back integrity and honesty to the presidency as an outsider. he's trying to strike a balance between the environment and business opportunities. these are all things bush campaigned for in 2000, although dean's a little left. and yet dean has captured the birkenstock crowd, truly amazing.