How would you put your computer skills on your resume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyguy155

Jan 26, 2010
I'm applying for a business position at an IT company and I'd like to add a line on my resume describing my proficiency. Not programming or anything too technical, but the ability to build computers, set up simple networks, etc, just to show I'm not computer illiterate.

"Computer hardware: assembly, repair..."

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
My past employers considered it a hobby unless you had certifications of some kind. Every other kid consider themselves a computer "expert" these days. Building, upgrading and basic troubleshooting is such a commoditized skill these days.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'd stick to "basic computer literacy" or just a brief mention of any specialized software that has direct relevence to position (maybe accounting software if that is pertinent).

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If it doesn't pertain to the position and you didn't do it in an official capacity it really doesn't belong. Knowing word/excel/project/visio are more valuable.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
My past employers considered it a hobby unless you had certifications of some kind. Every other kid consider themselves a computer "expert" these days. Building, upgrading and basic troubleshooting is such a commoditized skill these days.

No, they're not. Just because you and/or your friends can do it, doesn't make them well known skills. Basic troubleshooting is non-existent, as is the basic ability to use Google. Also, it's generally cheaper to buy pre-made PC's in today's market, so building & upgrading are even more uncommon unless they are enthusiasts. Though I do agree with your first line, but it greatly depends what market you're aiming towards. A small business owner will be a bit more lenient towards a hobbyist than the larger company would be looking for the certifications or experience.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I did, and it worked out well for me. They were quite impressed that I build my own systems, and it wasn't even for an IT job. I think it's a good skill to have as it's not something that many people can do.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
"i fix comptors and can rite with word."

In seriousness, put in your skills but don't try to pad it by calling yourself an expert etc.

In mine I actually have it under hobbies, and I just have my two main projects/websites with a brief description.

Code:
2007 to now					Game Server
						www.uovalor.com
Own and maintain an Ultima Online game server that has a few thousand accounts.  The environment has been fully customized and is very stable.

2003 to now					Tech Site Owner
www.iceteks.com
Own and maintain a technical site which receives about 250,000 page views per month.  The site is database driven and hand coded with css, html, php and mysql.

I could go on and on about more details, but I try to keep it as brief as possible. Not to mention they can go check the site for themselves if they are curious. I always ensure not to post anything on the site I would not want an employer to see, especially during job application time. :biggrin:

They can also ask more questions at the interview, and it's happened then I can go in more details. I usually get a question like "So I see you run a game server, could you tell us more about that?" then I go on about how I have a dev, test, and prod environment, and change management processes etc...

Basic hardware troubleshooting, building a system, I'd probably leave out, unless you're applying for geek squad or something.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
If you really want an edge, tell them you know how to operate and troubleshoot a Pitney Bowes mail stamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.