Question How would you over-provision such an SSD?

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
How to overprovision factory SSDs which come with recovery partitions at the end so basically there is no way to overprovision the last partition as it's small

Or is that not even possible?

2022-05-26_124328.png

Jul 27, 2020
Overprovisioning is not really necessary. As long as you keep 25-30% free space, your SSD's performance shouldn't suffer as the SSD controller will always find spare blocks to do the maintenance tasks.

If you still want to ensure that you don't exhaust all available space, you can shrink Drive C by whatever percentage you deem necessary.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Overprovisioning is not really necessary. As long as you keep 25-30% free space, your SSD's performance shouldn't suffer as the SSD controller will always find spare blocks to do the maintenance tasks.

Besides, there is always an amount of overprovisioning already. Not all the NAND capacity is user accessible for this reason. But as Igor says, never fill the drive up completely, and everything will be just fine.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
so is free space the exact same as over-provisioning? I mean if I have north of 650 GB free out of the 1TB, there would be no benefit if I over-provision the drive?

Zoozuu

Oct 21, 2020
Yep it is. The unpartitioned space is just done so a person can fill the whole regular space and still know that there is the unpartitioned space left or you can just leave it free and not use it. Having it unpartitioned just keeps it safely away from your use.

Reactions: Super Spartan

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im lost in why a guy who has:
WD SN810
Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB 4TB SSD

Is asking about over provisioning.
That myself feels strange, as those SSD is not something a new buyer would even consider as a purchase, seeing as its an enterprise class SSD.

Infact im willing to bet 2/3rds of the people who read this thread have no clue on what those SSD's even are, as they are not the typically branded "Popular" consumer brand SSD.

But OP as igor says, its typically done on hardware level now. (especially on enterprise class / business class SSDs)
You can still set aside a 10% partition, and not mount it.

But really, you have some pretty exotic choices in SSD.
The SN810 is not the black series, which most consumers get... thats the SN750/850.
That Toshibia is a U.2 nVME, which is a unpopular branch on consumer side for nVME... its mostly Enterprise designed to be thrown in a hotswap bay under a Bifurication port with a dedicated nVME controller.

You see why i say you got some exotics taste in SSD's.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
WD SN810

He didn't choose the Kioxia. That's just what Alienware decided to give him in his laptop.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

He didn't choose the Kioxia. That's just what Alienware decided to give him in his laptop.

OMG i missed it was a laptop.
WTF is Dell doing shoving a U.2 inside a Laptop?

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
My theory: they had lots of unsold enterprise inventory and decided to improvise. Or Toshiba's financial troubles must have led to a really sweet deal for Dell.

yeah that also explains the SN810... lol.. no wonder the poor OP is lost..
i would of been WTF all over if i saw the SSD list on a LAPTOP too.
Id also be hella tempted to see how Dell shoved that U.2

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
WD SN810

Is asking about over provisioning.
That myself feels strange, as those SSD is not something a new buyer would even consider as a purchase, seeing as its an enterprise class SSD.

Infact im willing to bet 2/3rds of the people who read this thread have no clue on what those SSD's even are, as they are not the typically branded "Popular" consumer brand SSD.

But OP as igor says, its typically done on hardware level now. (especially on enterprise class / business class SSDs)
You can still set aside a 10% partition, and not mount it.

But really, you have some pretty exotic choices in SSD.
The SN810 is not the black series, which most consumers get... thats the SN750/850.
That Toshibia is a U.2 nVME, which is a unpopular branch on consumer side for nVME... its mostly Enterprise designed to be thrown in a hotswap bay under a Bifurication port with a dedicated nVME controller.

You see why i say you got some exotics taste in SSD's.
I know it might be confusing but here's the story.

I never even knew that there was a WD SN810, I had the SN750 in my previous Alienware laptop. Then the next Alienware laptop which was an Alienware x15 came with the SN810. At first I thought it was some mid-range SSD always thinking that the Samsung 980 PRO is the king but the WD SN810 turned out to be a beast of an SSD, not available to your average consumer, I guess only OEMs have them.

Finally, on my last Alienware laptop that I just got which is the one you see in my signature, the Alienware m15 R7 AMD variant came with the Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB 4TB SSD which I had no clue what that even is until I did some research and turns out to be that it is an Enterprise level SSD, that came as the main drive but it was slower than the WD SN810 so I placed it in the 2nd slot and used it as storage and cloned the factory image to the faster WD SN810.

On a similar note, the Dell XPS 13 9310 I have also came with an OEM SSD which is the Samsung PM9A1 2TB that is similar to the 980 PRO in terms of performance.

Here are the benchmarks of them all if anyone is interested:

WD SN810 2TB:

WD SN810 1TB SSD (RST).png

Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB 4TB:

Toshiba KIOXIA KG70PN84T09 4TB SSD.png

Samsung PM9A1 2TB:

Samsung PM9A1 2TB NVMe SSD (Samsung NVMe Driver).png

Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB:

Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB.png

Reactions: aigomorla