How would the average American respond to another major terrorist attack?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
After 9-11 the country came together in an amazing way. American flags every where etc etc.

What I am wondering is what would happen if we had another major attack ala 9-11.

Would the country once again come together like it did post 9-11. Or has the war in Iraq and the 6 year war on terror splintered us so much that instead of unity we would see finger pointing and accusations?

What is everyone?s take on this?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The sheeple would give up their freedoms for an illusion of security.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
We'd band together, and demand that the govt kill alot more arabs until our bloodthirst has been quenched, at which point we'll resume with our political bickering and american idol.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
After 9-11 the country came together in an amazing way. American flags every where etc etc.

What I am wondering is what would happen if we had another major attack ala 9-11.

Would the country once again come together like it did post 9-11. Or has the war in Iraq and the 6 year war on terror splintered us so much that instead of unity we would see finger pointing and accusations?

What is everyone?s take on this?

Go on a shopping spree, like they were told to do last time? Finally got the bi-monthly Neocon propaganda hand-out, Phoughjohn? Forgot to renew your subscription?

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I would be out for blood against the neocons who poured fuel on the fire in the middle east instead of using our resources to protect our homeland.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
How would the average American respond to another major terrorist attack?

Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
We'd band together, and demand that the govt kill alot more arabs until our bloodthirst has been quenched, at which point we'll resume with our political bickering and american idol.

I don't go for the theory that 911 was purposely allowed to happen, but a second attack to help bolster a failing administration? That I could sink my teeth into.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I think another large scale terrorist attack on the US will spell the end of a lot of civil liberties as we know them. Considering what a devastating blow to the constitution the last 6 years have been... all from one attack... the prospect of a continuing series of attacks will lead a lot of people to demand safety, no matter what the price.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Like last time they'll fly a lot of flags, lament how much the trrsts hate them for their freedom then invade Madagascar because... well, what else is there to do?

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
I expect another attack someday.

I too suspect that there will be further restrictions of our liberties following it.

And when it happens, I imagine I'll do like last time. I'll think how much it must suck for those affected, cuss the SOBs that did it, and get on with my life. If it should kill me, then I don't have to worry about doing anything.

Last time, I didn't do what most of you didn't do. I didn't send huge sums of money or materials for humanitarian aid to the sites. I didn't rush to the areas to offer my strong back to clear rubble. I attended no funerals, no rallies. I did not call for ignorant foreign policy actions that might magnify or perpetuate the root causes of the attacks. I didn't buy cases of MREs and bottled water (or duct tape and dropcloths), or build a personal bomb shelter. I didn't set fire to a mosque or attack an Arab-looking man on the street.

So, like most of you, my personal life the day after was very much like it was the day before. Just like it will probably be the next time. Will I be more afraid? No.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: techs
The sheeple would give up their freedoms for an illusion of security.

Originally posted by: daveshel
I would be out for blood against the neocons who poured fuel on the fire in the middle east instead of using our resources to protect our homeland.

Somehow people who I cannot name would blame Democrats.

In the meantime we appaer to be getting some rights back slowly:

9-6-2007 Judge Rules Provisions of Patriot Act Unconstitutional

A federal judge today struck down portions of the USA Patriot Act as unconstitutional, ordering the FBI to stop issuing "national security letters" that secretly demand customer information from Internet service providers and other businesses.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero in New York ruled that the landmark anti-terrorism law violates the First Amendment and the Constitution's separation of powers provisions because it effectively prohibits recipients of the FBI letters (NSLs) from revealing their existence and does not provide adequate judicial oversight of the process.

The decision has the potential to eliminate one of the FBI's most widely used investigative tactics. It comes amid widespread concern on Capitol Hill over reported abuses in the way the FBI has used its NSL powers.

NSLs allow agents in counterterrorism and counterintelligence investigations to secretly gather Americans' phone, bank and Internet records without a court order or a grand jury subpoena.

Although the FBI has had such power for many years, the Patriot Act, enacted in October 2001, significantly expanded its ability to issue the letters.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

If it comes via commercial airplane, like 911, there's gonna be some pissed off people. Why put up with all the BS at airports and not be safe? But might finally make us drop the PC crap and quit strip searching old ladies etc. We need intelligent profiling like the Israelis do.

If it comes via port & cargo containers, you're gonna see a bunch of screaming people. Those who've been complaining about the lack of security there are gonna use it as an opportunity to crucify whose ever in charge.

If, as predicted earlier this Summer, the attackes take the form of multiple assaults at shopping malls or schools, I predict a lot fo fear and anger. I could see people being more proactive in trying to spot suspicious behavior, critism of Congress for not passing the recent law against civil siuts for people reporting suspicious behavior, more clamor for border security. Could unite people. Could be bad for Dems, too.

If the perps were to be an AQ cell from Mexico, all hell will break loose.
--------------------------------------------

As can be expected, I can't agree with those claiming we have already given up civil rights etc. I don't recall any new Amendments to the Constitution repealing anything etc. Padilla etc, they've all had their day in court. Foreigners don't have 4th Amendment rights either. Nobodies able yet to point to any innocent US citizen whose had his/her civil rights violated, AFAIK.

Fern

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Fern

If it comes via commercial airplane, like 911, there's gonna be some pissed off people. Why put up with all the BS at airports and not be safe? But might finally make us drop the PC crap and quit strip searching old ladies etc. We need intelligent profiling like the Israelis do.

If it comes via port & cargo containers, you're gonna see a bunch of screaming people. Those who've been complaining about the lack of security there are gonna use it as an opportunity to crucify whose ever in charge.

If, as predicted earlier this Summer, the attackes take the form of multiple assaults at shopping malls or schools, I predict a lot fo fear and anger. I could see people being more proactive in trying to spot suspicious behavior, critism of Congress for not passing the recent law against civil siuts for people reporting suspicious behavior, more clamor for border security. Could unite people. Could be bad for Dems, too.

If the perps were to be an AQ cell from Mexico, all hell will break loose.
--------------------------------------------

As can be expected, I can't agree with those claiming we have already given up civil rights etc. I don't recall any new Amendments to the Constitution repealing anything etc. Padilla etc, they've all had their day in court. Foreigners don't have 4th Amendment rights either. Nobodies able yet to point to any innocent US citizen whose had his/her civil rights violated, AFAIK.

Fern

I respectfully disagree. I view any surveillance of citizens not suspected of any wrongdoing to be a violation of our constitution.

ACLU Analysis

Fox News piece on FBI Patriot Act Abuses / AG

morkinva

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: daveshel

That's right. Tell your friends at centcom, OP

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Is your post-bot set to include one cryptic bullsh*t message per day, or are you just FOS as usual?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Is your post-bot set to include one cryptic bullsh*t message per day, or are you just FOS as usual?

You tell me:

You are allowed to answer, just make sure that
1) You do not attempt to sidetrack the thread by responses that are unprovable
2) You do not digress from the topic
3) You are relevant to the post that you desire to answer.
4) You do not go around slamming others for things that are outside the thread.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

You tell me:

alright then.. it must be a cold day in hell because Dave is trying to lecture me about trolling... wow.

Seriously though, who are these mysterious people that you "cannot name"?! I believe it's a valid question given their role in your post, as it relates to the thread.

Why do you constantly pretend to have super-secret sources and friends in secret places?! You seriously remind me of the used car salesman in True Lies...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You tell me:

alright then.. it must be a cold day in hell because Dave is trying to lecture me about trolling... wow.

Seriously though, who are these mysterious people that you "cannot name"?! I believe it's a valid question given their role in your post, as it relates to the thread.

Why do you constantly pretend to have super-secret sources and friends in secret places?!

You seriously remind me of the used car salesman in True Lies...

That is direct lecture on "trolling" to me from the Mods.

As you can see if I cannot name my sources (provable) then I cannot make the post or comment.

It is kind of the digital version of going to jail for contempt for a Journalist's not naming their source.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

You tell me:

Why do you constantly pretend to have super-secret sources and friends in secret places?!

You seriously remind me of the used car salesman in True Lies...

That is direct lecture on "trolling" to me from the Mods.

As you can see if I cannot name my sources (provable) then I cannot make the post or comment.

It is kind of the digital version of going to jail for contempt for a Journalist's not naming their source.
The thing is Dave, you really dont have "sources"... Those aren't suber-uber-top-secret "sources" talking to you Dave, those are just "The voices".... seriously man, I think you need professional help. I'll pray that you get it soon...

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Fern

-snip-

-snip-

Fern

I respectfully disagree. I view any surveillance of citizens not suspected of any wrongdoing to be a violation of our constitution.

http://action.aclu.org/reformt...tact/facts.html#abuses">ACLU Analysis</a>

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288761,00.html">Fox News piece on FBI Patriot Act Abuses / AG</a>

So do I. Although I am aware of some, to my knowlegde they have been unintentional, beaurocractic mistakes. These happen all the time, even without the Patriot Act etc. It's inevitable, and I have no major problems with them as long as the proper proceedures are adhered to when they do occur.

Oh, your links didn't work for me.

Fern

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The thing is Dave, you really dont have "sources"... Those aren't suber-uber-top-secret "sources" talking to you Dave, those are just "The voices".... seriously man, I think you need professional help.

Interesting.

Do you think I no longer have any contact with any of the people from when I was being attacked by the state of Georgia?

I was in direct contact with an aide to the President as well as many folks at the EFF.

What about all the people from so many countries?

I won't name names here but most can easily be found by simple web searches from the time as well as radio and TV interviews as well as a couple of documentaries.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
The thing is Dave, you really dont have "sources"... Those aren't suber-uber-top-secret "sources" talking to you Dave, those are just "The voices".... seriously man, I think you need professional help.

Interesting.

Do you think I no longer have any contact with any of the people from when I was being attacked by the state of Georgia?

I was in direct contact with an aide to the President as well as many folks at the EFF.

What about all the people from so many countries?

I won't name names here but most can easily be found by simple web searches from the time as well as radio and TV interviews as well as a couple of documentaries.
I know Dave, I know... what happened to you was unfortunate, but I also think your cryptic one-liners are unnecessary. Just stop making it sound so secret-squirrelish, and it'll go over much smoother around here. Just some advice...

That said, when another attack occurs, I'll probably have to work some overtime... and that will suck. I like my time off damnit!

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The next major terrorist attack will probably come from either Washington or Oregon. I want to say Texas.... but their extremists are mainly loners and don't really even leave home