How would I go about turning a laptop LCD into a monitor

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
I'm aware there are a million threads all over the internet about this, but i haven't found any on AT, and I'm hoping that the generally higher level of discourse which occurs here will prove to be a bit more helpful than what I have come across so far.

I've got 4 old laptops sitting here now, an ibm 390e, 390x, 380ed, and 600e, as well as an old vaio somewhere or other, and was thinking of turning one or more of them into secondary displays. It's mainly a fun project for me, but if all goes well i'll stick it in some sort of a nice body and actually use it.

Anyhoo, can anyone point me to some good places on how to do this, or tell me about your own experiences? Also, does anyone know of a good place to buy the necessary components?

Thanks.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
I think you'd be better off selling the laptops on Ebay, and buying another display. I sold an old K6-2 550 MHz laptop for $137, which is a lot more than I thought it would go for (it was in very good shape).

I've taken apart several laptops and tried various things, but the only success I've ever had was moving a screen from one laptop to another one. I've never been able to find a standalone controller for my screens.

You can get controllers in general from here:

http://store.earthlcd.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.98/it.A/id.689/.f

prices are as high as getting a new, bigger, and better LCD...