How would I go about making a version of this website

Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.fantasyfootballcalculator.com/

For those of you who don't play fantasy sports, I assume you know that each person drafts their own team. Well there are websites that let you "mock draft," basically practice drafts.
If you want, go to the site, click enter draft, and you'll start to see how the system works. click on any of the draft slots and you'll be able to enter a draft quickly enough to see it in action. Pretty simple I think.

Anyway, I am thinking about making a similar site. I'm considering paying to have it done, but I'm trying to figure out if theres any way I could do it myself. The design isn't too hard, I just want something simple, but I don't know how I would create the actual mock draft script/application/interface/whatever you wanna call it.

Is there an easiest way to do it? Are these a few options I can go with? It doesn't seem like an insane project, though I'm sure some aspects are tough. I'm willing to learn as I go, trial and error it.

I appreciate any suggestions!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
That's actually one of the hardest algorithms to code out there. There's an enormous number of statistics to crunch to determine the rank of each player, then a massive recrunching of the numbers occurs every time someone picks a player out of the available pool and the next-best is determined.

There's also the need to get accurate, up-to-the-minute statistics about each player for your database. I'm not familiar with the NFL, but I would wager that access to that information is going to be costly.

Your simple website is not something you will write on a budget.

phreaqe

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2004
based on your post it does not sound like you have much programming experience. in that case, pay someone.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus
That's actually one of the hardest algorithms to code out there. There's an enormous number of statistics to crunch to determine the rank of each player, then a massive recrunching of the numbers occurs every time someone picks a player out of the available pool and the next-best is determined.

There's also the need to get accurate, up-to-the-minute statistics about each player for your database. I'm not familiar with the NFL, but I would wager that access to that information is going to be costly.

Your simple website is not something you will write on a budget.

really? I figured there could be a simple list of the players, preranked. perhaps daily they could be recalculated based on where the players were picked each day. Don't need to pull stats from anywhere, just base everything off where the users pick players.

I mean, what kind of code would this be, so I can take a closer look?

Oh, and I guess this can be moved to programming? Thanks

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Simply connecting each player to a rank number makes this worlds simpler to write.

I suppose what you'd do is have one table that has a player ID #, player name, player rank and a field for whether or not the player has already been drafted. Then you'd have a couple extra tables (probably just two or three) to track the pre-draft picks of each contestant in the fantasy league. You then randomly select a contestant to get the first pick and start updating the player table with who's taken, re-ordering the list each time with who's still available.

Pretty straightforward job for someone with knowledge of PHP and MySQL. You could probably pay someone a couple hundred bucks to put it together (minus the data entry task of entering all of the NFL's players into your table).

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus
Simply connecting each player to a rank number makes this worlds simpler to write.

I suppose what you'd do is have one table that has a player ID #, player name, player rank and a field for whether or not the player has already been drafted. Then you'd have a couple extra tables (probably just two or three) to track the pre-draft picks of each contestant in the fantasy league. You then randomly select a contestant to get the first pick and start updating the player table with who's taken, re-ordering the list each time with who's still available.

Pretty straightforward job for someone with knowledge of PHP and MySQL. You could probably pay someone a couple hundred bucks to put it together (minus the data entry task of entering all of the NFL's players into your table).

that seems a bit more manageable. I do have some free time on my hands, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try and learn. perhaps I can try to learn some of the basic and then find some guides that might put together something "somwhat" close and try to go from there.

I posted on getafreelancer but I get put off thinking about paying someone $500(avg bid so far) when all they do is post a generic bid, usually poorly written(outsourcing, comes with the territory, i know), and all they do is pm me a bunch of work they've apparently done. no mention of my specific project or if they even understand.

I'd love to try and do it myself, though I'm sure it won't be easy by any means. Does anyone on ATOT do this kind of work for a reasonable price?

Status
Not open for further replies.