How would I center an image in MS paint?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by ManBearPig, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ManBearPig

ManBearPig Diamond Member

Lets say I have an image, and want to center it over a (white) square of a certain size...how would I go about doing that without just guessing?

2. C1

C1 Golden Member

May not be an easy question to answer. What if the image is irregular shape? What then is meant by centered (ie, theoretical center of gravity; or center from physical sides)?

If it is a software application like photoshop, then put up a grid and use that or using a set/grid of concentric circles in the square as reference, center the image suitably.

In paint, paste the image into a square that is the canvas, then use the cursor to minimize the canvas (usually by holding shift key).

#2 C1, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. ManBearPig

Appreciate the response. Program is paint. The image is just an icon, which is a circle. I want borders around it, though. So I don't want to just minimize the canvas. Maybe I should just use a different program lol.

4. EagleKeeper

EagleKeeper Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Staff Member

Icon has a dimension of X by Y pixels

In Paint; size the canvas to the pixel size of your icon plus the overall size of the border.
    The grid size is shown as you size the canvas.
    Then draw the border first.

Then open a second copy of Paint
    Load and copy the icon.

Switch to the first copy
    Paste the icon into the canvas
    Drag/move the icon to the proper location before releasing the mouse.

5. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I either eyeball it, or use a grid. Checkout Paint.NET. It may not solve your immediate problem, but it's a great package that bridges the difference between PS and MSPaint. Alternatively, you could use Gimp, but that can be a bit much for simple editing.

http://www.getpaint.net/

6. ManBearPig

Oooooooooooooh, thanks for that program, looks cool. Appreciate the advice, everyone!

Question...using paint.net, how can i either like, make the logo the foreground and lay it over a square background, or just somehow add extra space around the logo and have it be one layer? I cant figure out how to do anything in this little square on the screen.

Thanks all!

7. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

I'm not in Windows, but look for something that looks like import as layer, and bring in the image you want. Resize as necessary, then merge layers. I haven't used it in a long time, but I'd be very surprised if that sequence wasn't in there.

8. ManBearPig

I figured out I could just anchor the image to the middle and change the canvas size! You are the man lxskllr! Thanks!