How would I center an image in MS paint?

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Lets say I have an image, and want to center it over a (white) square of a certain size...how would I go about doing that without just guessing?

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
May not be an easy question to answer. What if the image is irregular shape? What then is meant by centered (ie, theoretical center of gravity; or center from physical sides)?

If it is a software application like photoshop, then put up a grid and use that or using a set/grid of concentric circles in the square as reference, center the image suitably.

In paint, paste the image into a square that is the canvas, then use the cursor to minimize the canvas (usually by holding shift key).

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Appreciate the response. Program is paint. The image is just an icon, which is a circle. I want borders around it, though. So I don't want to just minimize the canvas. Maybe I should just use a different program lol.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Icon has a dimension of X by Y pixels

In Paint; size the canvas to the pixel size of your icon plus the overall size of the border.
The grid size is shown as you size the canvas.
Then draw the border first.

Then open a second copy of Paint
Load and copy the icon.

Switch to the first copy
Paste the icon into the canvas
Drag/move the icon to the proper location before releasing the mouse.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I either eyeball it, or use a grid. Checkout Paint.NET. It may not solve your immediate problem, but it's a great package that bridges the difference between PS and MSPaint. Alternatively, you could use Gimp, but that can be a bit much for simple editing.

http://www.getpaint.net/

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I either eyeball it, or use a grid. Checkout Paint.NET. It may not solve your immediate problem, but it's a great package that bridges the difference between PS and MSPaint. Alternatively, you could use Gimp, but that can be a bit much for simple editing.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Oooooooooooooh, thanks for that program, looks cool. Appreciate the advice, everyone!

Question...using paint.net, how can i either like, make the logo the foreground and lay it over a square background, or just somehow add extra space around the logo and have it be one layer? I cant figure out how to do anything in this little square on the screen.

Thanks all!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not in Windows, but look for something that looks like import as layer, and bring in the image you want. Resize as necessary, then merge layers. I haven't used it in a long time, but I'd be very surprised if that sequence wasn't in there.

ManBearPig

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I'm not in Windows, but look for something that looks like import as layer, and bring in the image you want. Resize as necessary, then merge layers. I haven't used it in a long time, but I'd be very surprised if that sequence wasn't in there.

I figured out I could just anchor the image to the middle and change the canvas size! You are the man lxskllr! Thanks!