how would history have been different if Patton got his way?

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
General Patton was indeed a brilliant operational commander; possibly the best in any army in the Second World War.

His operational skills notwithstanding, there were excellent reasons his subordinates (Eisenhower and Bradley) were promoted over him. Neither of these superior strategists proposed any such assault on the Soviets. Do General Patton's sycophants in this thread claim military judgement superior to Dwight David Eisenhower's or Omar Bradley's?

Out of curiosity, did either one say we could not win a war against the Soviets?

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
The Soviet Union's military was huge, battle experienced, and well equipped at the end of WW2.

But how much of that was due to Lend/Lease (which could be cut off by the USA), and how much of that was due to their own industry?

Interesting arguments, especially since the western Allies had heavy, long range bombing abilities that the Soviets didn't have (that I'm aware of). We also had a longer supply line, which would complicate things. Depending on how good the Soviets were at industrializing their eastern territories, it could have been a slug-fest.

Of course, if we had drafted the newly defeated Germans, and given them the chance to obtain revenge on their Soviet neighbors, it would have helped, IMHO.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
No misquote, you actually said what I quoted. You still have yet to admit your lie. Why do you lie and then, when caught, refuse to actually admit you lied? It appears you have two major personality flaws, one of which is cowardace and the other is being a pathological liar. The two are related, so if you cure your cowardace, the other very well may go away as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudologia_fantastica

Still can't acknowledge reality troll?

Still can't answer my points showing you wrong?

Still can't answer Colin Powell says you are wrong about WMD?

Still can't explain why Patton knows more then historians?

Still can't answer how Patton would have gotten Congress to declare war on the USSR?

Seems like you need to look in the mirror about lying and cowardice. I've put forth clear cut points and supporteed them with evidence. You won't.....guess that is why you are a troll and I am not.

How pathetic that you continue to refuse to present any evidence of facts in like nine pages of your trolling.....then you intentionally misquote me, you are really showing your lack of class.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
General Patton was indeed a brilliant operational commander; possibly the best in any army in the Second World War.

His operational skills notwithstanding, there were excellent reasons his subordinates (Eisenhower and Bradley) were promoted over him. Neither of these superior strategists proposed any such assault on the Soviets. Do General Patton's sycophants in this thread claim military judgement superior to Dwight David Eisenhower's or Omar Bradley's?

+1

Cybrtroll and others don't understand, but there was a good reason Patton was an army commander, and not an army group commander.

And everyone reads the usual German-written East front histories, which downplays the operational skills on the Russian commanders in the later years of the war.