How will we abbreviate the year verbally after 2009?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Have we even agreed upon a name for this decade?

Exactly, we need to figure this out first before we worry about 3 years from now. What're we doing with this, calling this decade the Aughts? The Os? Someone needs to make a decision.

Return of the dark ages, dark ages II, dark dges x2, dark ages squared,...

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: RichUK
Two thousand and ten?

The only post in here that's on the right track! Why Abbreviate and be lazy? Just say it how it's meant to be said?
Two Thousand and 10, 11, 12, etc....... Oh=Crap!

OH is not a number!

Nevermind me, It's One Thirty4 OH clock, time for bed.

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Two thousand and ten?

The only post in here that's on the right track! Why Abbreviate and be lazy? Just say it how it's meant to be said?

OH is not a number!

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I'm one of the few people who would write today's date as
9-15-9. Tomorrow is 9-16-9. I can live without the zero and have since 2001. In 2000, I wrote dates as 9-15-0

#1 reason: although it's just as correct either way, it annoys the hell out of people.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
9-15-9. Tomorrow is 9-16-9. I can live without the zero and have since 2001. In 2000, I wrote dates as 9-15-0

#1 reason: although it's just as correct either way, it annoys the hell out of people.

I like 2007-09-16 myself.

As for the OP, I'll call it "Two thousand ten", just like I call this year "Two thousand seven".

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Two thousand and ten?

OH is not a number!

Nevermind me, It's One Thirty4 OH clock, time for bed.

1999: One Thousand Nine Hundred Ninety Nine :D

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Schfifty Five
twenty ten FTW.

This is obviously how it's going to be orally.

Are we just going to write '10? I mean... I guess it works, it just looks funny. This 21st century business is causing all kinds of grief.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001

You living two years ahead of the rest of us? Who wins the Super Bowl? Please tell me Hillary doesn't get elected.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin

You living two years ahead of the rest of us? Who wins the Super Bowl? Please tell me Hillary doesn't get elected.

LOL! I kept looking at those dates, thinking I had done something wrong. It's probably because for September, I had to count on my fingers to remember that it's the 9th month, so somehow, I became fixated on "9"

Okay, today is 9-15-7

AccruedExpenditure

Diamond Member
May 12, 2001

I do this too... i've had people write in a 0 to 'fix' the date.

Anyway it's pretty obvious we're going to switch to Twenty-ten from the year 2010 in above.. we never said nineteen hundred and nintey nine... it was ninteen nintey nine.

A better question to ask is what we're going to call the decade of 2000-09...

VH1 presents I love the double 00's?
???

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin

LOL! I kept looking at those dates, thinking I had done something wrong. It's probably because for September, I had to count on my fingers to remember that it's the 9th month, so somehow, I became fixated on "9"

Okay, today is 9-15-7

Actually it's the 16th. :)

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
I'm still waiting for people to get in step with the pronunciation of the year. It is much easier to simply say that today is Sunday, September sixteenth, twenty oh seven... instead of two thousand seven.

When the year 2010 gets here you will automatically shift to calling it twenty ten, so why not now?

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Zedtom
I'm still waiting for people to get in step with the pronunciation of the year. It is much easier to simply say that today is Sunday, September sixteenth, twenty oh seven... instead of two thousand seven.

When the year 2010 gets here you will automatically shift to calling it twenty ten, so why not now?

Simple: oh seven doesn't roll off the tongue as easily. It's the same number of syllables, so I can't imagine any other problems with it besides the fact that saying two thousand seven is more... accepted for some reason.