Question How will this A520 board handle a 105w CPU?

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I got this board here for $40: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A520Mac/index.asp#CPU

It was a decent deal I thought for 40 with built in WiFi. I'm fully aware of the limitations of the A520 chipset vs the higher end ones, but I am a power user and I'd like to put the best chip I can into it. It says it can handle a 5950x, but can it really?

I've read some not so good things about Asrock VRM's and their ability to deliver enough power to a chip like this. I don't necessarily plan on getting a 5950x, that just happens to be the highest end one listed as supported on this motherboard. I'll get whichever chip I can find at a decent price given the current environment. I was hoping to get an 8 core chip personally but I just wondered how this mobo would handle the whole range of supported CPU's?

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Visual wise, it has weaker VRM configuration than the original A320M-HDV, and back then it only supports 65W CPUs so even 1600X is a no go on this board. I don't want to say you can't run 5950X on it. Probably with huge amount of airflow around VRM area it will boot, but I expect it will only run on default or reduced clock.

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I assume you meant a 5600x? This board doesn't support the 1600x. Whew that's pretty bad then lol. It basically doesn't support anything on their supported list if it can't run a 6-core with PBO.

I can always send it back. Seemed like a steal for $40 though, oh well.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I got this board here for $40: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/A520Mac/index.asp#CPU

It was a decent deal I thought for 40 with built in WiFi. I'm fully aware of the limitations of the A520 chipset vs the higher end ones, but I am a power user and I'd like to put the best chip I can into it. It says it can handle a 5950x, but can it really?

I've read some not so good things about Asrock VRM's and their ability to deliver enough power to a chip like this. I don't necessarily plan on getting a 5950x, that just happens to be the highest end one listed as supported on this motherboard. I'll get whichever chip I can find at a decent price given the current environment. I was hoping to get an 8 core chip personally but I just wondered how this mobo would handle the whole range of supported CPU's?
the real issue isn't can you run it. The question is should you. Why would you buy a premium cpu and pair it with a bottom end board? Pair that board with a 3700x or a 5600x.

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I would be fine with it if it can run a 8 core chip like I said, but I had hoped to be able to upgrade if needed down the line. I was questioning if it can even run a 12/16 core chip at max speeds reliably with it's VRM to ensure an 8 core would not be an issue.

I can afford a more expensive motherboard. The Asus X570 WS ACE board is 8 layer PCB and ECC support and the MSI X570 Tomahawk is 6 layer with better features and top rated VRMS is $200/$220, respectively are two I looked at. I wasn't sure if the extra 2 layers on the PCB provided any real benefit though for overclocking and/or stability?

I'm just overall a budget minded person. I'm not gonna spend $200 just to say I'm "cool" if a $40 board will do the same job with no noticeable difference. However, I do run my machine 24/7 crypto mining, running as a file-server for the house, some video editing, gaming, and I do like to dabble in overclocking but it's not a necessity I'm fine with PBO doing the work.

In in the end I'm still a home user though I don't really know if I "need" the 2.5gbit or wifi 6 features on these more expensive boards as I've never had an issue in the past, I do value stability though. ECC would only be of use for me if DDR5 comes out and DDR4 ECC memory is very cheap in the future like DDR3 ended up being.

Last edited:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I would be fine with it if it can run a 8 core chip like I said, but I had hoped to be able to upgrade if needed down the line. I was questioning if it can even run a 12/16 core chip at max speeds reliably with it's VRM to ensure an 8 core would not be an issue.

I can afford a more expensive motherboard. The Asus X570 WS ACE board is 8 layer PCB and ECC support and the MSI X570 Tomahawk is 6 layer with better features and top rated VRMS is $200/$220, respectively are two I looked at. I wasn't sure if the extra 2 layers on the PCB provided any real benefit though for overclocking and/or stability?

I'm just overall a budget minded person. I'm not gonna spend $200 just to say I'm "cool" if a $40 board will do the same job with no noticeable difference. However, I do run my machine 24/7 crypto mining, running as a file-server for the house, some video editing, gaming, and I do like to dabble in overclocking but it's not a necessity I'm fine with PBO doing the work.

In in the end I'm still a home user though I don't really know if I "need" the 2.5gbit or wifi 6 features on these more expensive boards as I've never had an issue in the past, I do value stability though. ECC would only be of use for me if DDR5 comes out and DDR4 ECC memory is very cheap in the future like DDR3 ended up being.
I understand completely.

I am also a budget minded person wanting the best bang for the buck parts. That is why I went with the Asus Prime X570-P. Has everything I want at a great price.