How wide is a standard double car driveway?

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm wanting to add a driveway to the back of my house and I'm trying to get an extremely rough estimate on how much pavestone I need. I figure I need the driveway to be 32 feet long at least.....but how wide should it be? I'm thinking about 16 feet? Thanks....

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: arcenite

Twice the width of a standard car driveway

Wrong. A single car driveway has no accounting for opening the doors. For a double car driveway you have to leave enough space to open the doors between the vehicles.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

Wrong. A single car driveway has no accounting for opening the doors. For a double car driveway you have to leave enough space to open the doors between the vehicles.

OMGGOBLOWAHORSE

TwinkleToes77

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2002
I could go out and measure my driveway for ya.... but im too lazy.. and my driveway is kinda too narrow for 2 cars if we dont park just right we hit each others car getting in and out of the doors.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Break out a measuring tape and open your cars doors, then take a measurement :p

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

Thus, I asked the question. I figured someone might have an idea. Anyone can multiply the width of a driveway by 2. :p I just need a number I can base my approximate pavestone needs off from so I know how much money I'm going to be spending. Thanks-

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi

Thus, I asked the question. I figured someone might have an idea. Anyone can multiply the width of a driveway by 2. :p I just need a number I can base my approximate pavestone needs off from so I know how much money I'm going to be spending. Thanks-

A quick google says a two car driveway should not be any less than 16ft in width (10ft for a single car, BOOYA EYEMWING)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

A quick google says a two car driveway should not be any less than 16ft in width (10ft for a single car, BOOYA EYEMWING)

yeah he is a tard.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: woowoo
20 feet.
Give it some room.....
I may shoot for 18-20....which makes me wonder how much pavestone I'm going to get stuck having to buy... I guess we'll see if I can get it for free or at cost through some "connections". :cool:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
Originally posted by: woowoo
20 feet.
Give it some room.....
I may shoot for 18-20....which makes me wonder how much pavestone I'm going to get stuck having to buy... I guess we'll see if I can get it for free or at cost through some "connections". :cool:

it's doubtful with whatever 'connections' that you'd be given about 400 sq ft of pavestone for free. I would shoot for at least 600 sq ft myself if even a modest driveway.