How well does Xbox S work as a 4k blu ray player ?

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
I use one strictly for 4k blurays. Never played a game on it. No issues at all with 4k playback

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Does the version matter? I.,e has there been silent changes to the hardware (dvd player). I'm debating between 500gb version; 1tb special edition version and the current regular 1tb version (all xbox s).

I use one strictly for 4k blurays. Never played a game on it. No issues at all with 4k playback

Reactions: XSoldier77X

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Every S (and soon X) has a 4K bluray player. A standard (old) One does NOT have a 4k bluray.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
It's fantastic and has improved since launch. They finally added bitstream audio support and works well with Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. It even had no issues with a 4k 60fps movie like Billy Lynn. That's pretty much the only time xbox one s can do 4k 60FPS. :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
No Dolby Vision support so if you are looking for that it's not supported. I've heard very little in the way of actual issues lately but I still think the interface for Disc playback could be improved and using a game controller as a remote might be an annoyance. Other than that, should be ok.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Can you use a wireless keyboard or do you have to use the controller ? Yea I know it doesn't have DV and I'll eventually upgrade to something that has it but the alternative right now is the oppo 203 which is > $500. the LG is suppose to get it via firmware upgrade but the xbox s also addresses other issues (I can use it to stream homerun prime protected content to the tv).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Can you use a wireless keyboard or do you have to use the controller ? Yea I know it doesn't have DV and I'll eventually upgrade to something that has it but the alternative right now is the oppo 203 which is > $500. the LG is suppose to get it via firmware upgrade but the xbox s also addresses other issues (I can use it to stream homerun prime protected content to the tv).

There is infrared so you can program a universal remote like a harmony. Not sure about the keyboard. I never tried using one when I had an Xbox.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Lets back to the remote since I have one of those; do I need to 'enable' the infra red or is it always on. didn't realize you could use a remote with the xbox perhaps I should do a search for that now that i know.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It's always on and the S has an IR blaster built in so you can have it turn on and off your TV and other components too if you want.

In the harmony software I just told it I had an Xbox one and it worked.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Watched one movie with the gaming controller and that was more than enough. Got the media remote and the experience is perfect.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I didn't realize they had one available lol. Just saw that they are under $20 too and if you don't have a harmony or similar that's the way to go. Also you can use the Xbox app on a smartphone or tablet to control the console too as an option.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Not to poopoo but i heard of issues using the Xbone for 4K playback. Were those just day 1 issues that have been resolved?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Not to poopoo but i heard of issues using the Xbone for 4K playback. Were those just day 1 issues that have been resolved?

The console can bitstream audio now so you can use Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. I think most of the disc reading issues have been fixed as well. Lately I have not heard of anything significant to worry about.

Sep 29, 2004
The console can bitstream audio now so you can use Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. I think most of the disc reading issues have been fixed as well. Lately I have not heard of anything significant to worry about.

This is my understanding. I love it!

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It played the Martin fine; I don't have any sony 4k disks; but those are suppose to be where players have problems.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011

I love the new Dolby Atmos Headphone support. Great for late night movie watching.

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
@OP

Pretty slick, even as a standalone player. Of course navigating with a controller can be rather, well, inconvenient

Does the version matter? I.,e has there been silent changes to the hardware (dvd player). I'm debating between 500gb version; 1tb special edition version and the current regular 1tb version (all xbox s).

nah. they're just the same. not sure if they plan on doing it with XOX tho

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
What about sound if you don't have an HDMI capable receiver. I only have SPDIF inputs on mine. Obviously I won't get Dolby Atmos, but is there a fallback for multi-channels sound over SPDIF?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
What about sound if you don't have an HDMI capable receiver. I only have SPDIF inputs on mine. Obviously I won't get Dolby Atmos, but is there a fallback for multi-channels sound over SPDIF?

You'll only get the basic Dolby Digital or DTS track depending on the audio encoding used. You will get the basic lossy 7.1 signal.

Basically what I'm saying is any movie with Atmos will give you Dolby 5.1/7.1 and DTS:X or DTS-HD MA movies will give you DTS 5.1. All movies will have Dolby Digital if you cannot do DTS as well.

Reactions: PeterScott

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
You'll only get the basic Dolby Digital or DTS track depending on the audio encoding used. You will get the basic lossy 7.1 signal.

Basically what I'm saying is any movie with Atmos will give you Dolby 5.1/7.1 and DTS:X or DTS-HD MA movies will give you DTS 5.1. All movies will have Dolby Digital if you cannot do DTS as well.

Thanks, that's perfect. Can't really hope for better as only DD/DTS is supported over SPDIF in the first place.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017

Optical audio? i'm assuming you have already given xbox's official support page a try so if that is the case, check out this subreddit for another couple of things you can try out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1lt68i/how_will_the_xbox_one_work_with_a_multichannel_av/