How well does Fry's combo CPUs OC? E6420

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
I dont have a decent board yet to OC with, but I was wondering what kind of OCs people are getting out of the Fry's combo CPUs..specifically the E6420.

I've heard a few people say that the Fry's CPUs weren't good OC'ers, but that could just be rumors. (I hope)

I would like to get 3GHz-3.2GHz out of mine....is this a fairly easy goal to reach?

Herradura

May 7, 2007
well you have to tell us what mobo comesi nthe combo. Other than that the Batch number on the CPU matters more than the place you buy it from.

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
Most motherboards that come "bundled" are not good overclockers because they can not handle the additional voltage and cooling needs of an overclocked system. If you are trying to save cash, get an e4300 and a Gigabyte 965 S3 board. If you have a tad more cash and want a much more solid system, get one of the new P35 boards and an e6420/e6600.

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
I should of mentioned that the board is a ECS P4M900T-M. Most of the fry's combos come with a super cheapo ECS board. I wasnt planning to OC with the ECS board however.
I already have my CPU installed so I dont know what markings are on it..I was just wondering if fry's CPUs were any different then CPUs from somewhere like newegg..Like maybe they get a deal on a batch of CPUs from Intel for cheap 'cause they know they wont be good OC'ers.

Herradura

May 7, 2007
I cant remembr if the numbero n the CPU was facing up through the clear plastic window when I bought my reatil CPU but think it was. Thats one way you could of told that batch number then done some research online.

If you have extra thermal paste then I would reccomend posting your batch number here so that one of the experts such as Zardnock may help you find your limitations.

Aug 23, 2000
Simply put, the boards in the combo's are not for overclocking. The CPU is the same as if you bought it somewhere else.

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Herradura
I cant remembr if the numbero n the CPU was facing up through the clear plastic window when I bought my reatil CPU but think it was. Thats one way you could of told that batch number then done some research online.

If you have extra thermal paste then I would reccomend posting your batch number here so that one of the experts such as Zardnock may help you find your limitations.

If you got the CPU in a retail package, the FPO/batch number is listed on the side of the CPU box. No need to take the chip out and clean it off. Post that and also run CPU-Z and post what your stepping and revision is.

f4phantom2500

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2006
Omg, you guys saying the boards aren't good oc'ers are retarded. He already acknowledged that in the topic summary and is asking if the processors included in the combos are good oc'ers or not.

To answer your question, they're just like any other chip, so it's really luck of the draw; try to get a good batch (if you can) to increase your chances of getting a good oc'er.

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
Originally posted by: f4phantom2500
Omg, you guys saying the boards aren't good oc'ers are retarded. He already acknowledged that in the topic summary and is asking if the processors included in the combos are good oc'ers or not.

To answer your question, they're just like any other chip, so it's really luck of the draw; try to get a good batch (if you can) to increase your chances of getting a good oc'er.

I think somebody needs a hug.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: f4phantom2500

AHAHAHAHAHAHA i know this exact feeling. Its the same thing i get when someone starts comparing a dual core with a quad.

But yes, the cpu's are the same. Your luck is in the draw on its OCing potential.

Only good thing about frys is that you can sometimes pick out your bin. If your not happy with it, ask the lady if she can grab another one with a different letter in the middle at the cage. 85% of the time they will do it, unless there in a bad mood.

Thats how i grabbed my L631B E6600. Now my Xeon is a different story. :T

Once the price drops happen, im grabbing my next quad at frys.

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
Here's the info on a sticker from the CPU box.
Prod Code: BX80557E6420SLA4T
MM #: 888975
FPO/Batch #: L704A884
Pack Date: 04/11/07

thanks

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
They overclock the same as Newegg CPUs, which overclock the same as ZipZoomFly CPUs, which overclock the same as MWave CPUs.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: phatTweaker
Here's the info on a sticker from the CPU box.
Prod Code: BX80557E6420SLA4T
MM #: 888975
FPO/Batch #: L704A884
Pack Date: 04/11/07

thanks

Year 7
Week 4
Batch A

Those are the important letters in that PO

Batch A ROUGH estimates.. and im not promising an overclock,

3.35ghz -> 3.7ghz roughly. 3.7 would be one pretty chip. 3.3 would be almost given.

Voltages will need to be roughly 1.37Vcore REAL. So look in bios under power and see how much your vcore is real.

Remember bios vcore and real vcore will be slightly off unless you did a vdroop mod on your board.

For 3.5 - 3.7 you will most likely need watercooling to keep the temps in check. Your voltages need to be around 1.4-1.55Vcore Real to pull these off.

-Good luck!

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
thanks very much for the info..now if I can just save enough money for a decent board and video card I'll be ready to OC.
BTW for a budget OC board do you prefer P965 or NV650i or does it even make any difference?

thanks

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: phatTweaker
thanks very much for the info..now if I can just save enough money for a decent board and video card I'll be ready to OC.
BTW for a budget OC board do you prefer P965 or NV650i or does it even make any difference?

thanks

965P if your never going to SLI.

650i if you want SLI.

680i if you want quadcore /w SLI

P5K Bearclaw if you say HELL with SLI but want the best C2D overclock.

Gorrillasnot

Mar 1, 2004
I'm a causal gamer so SLI is not in my plans. And would like a moderate OC of say around 3.0GHz - 3.2GHz.
Something like a Gigabyte DS3 would probably be my best bet I guess all though I'm kinda partial to MSI boards.

anyway thanks for the info