How to wipe/erase data stored inside a used HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Oyeve
You know how the govt get rid of HDs and data? They leave the laptops in a bar. :) Seriously tho, govt wiping of data is litterally grinding the platters into dust.

Eh? I worked at the DoD and never heard of that. They usually were put through an industrial shredder and then incinerated.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: ribbon13
Originally posted by: Oyeve
You know how the govt get rid of HDs and data? They leave the laptops in a bar. :) Seriously tho, govt wiping of data is litterally grinding the platters into dust.

Eh? I worked at the DoD and never heard of that. They usually were put through an industrial shredder and then incinerated.

Thats pretty much what I stated, grind/shred identical.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
well, your wording gave me the impression of nothing but metal bits, much like under a machinists drill press, when they are usually 3/4" wide chunks after schredding :p

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: ribbon13
well, your wording gave me the impression of nothing but metal bits, much like under a machinists drill press, when they are usually 3/4" wide chunks after schredding :p

But your are right, they do incinerated the dust. Apparently they can gleam data from the magnetic dust.

bluestrobe

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2004
Originally posted by: mechBgon
I believe degaussing the drive also permanently ruins it. No servo bits left on the platters for the drive to navigate by. If it were me, I'd pop my case, plug an SATA cable into the drive and run DBAN on it.

Easiest way to do it. The OP wants to sell the drive, not grind it into dust or destroy it by other means like some in this thread suggested.