How to use Sun screen and Bug spray at the same time?

thatsright

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I'm going to SE Asia so think of like the gates of hell hot and sweaty for 30 days straight. I will be outdoors everyday and will use sun screen and bug spray at the same time. Generally when bugs are out at dusk or dawn and will devour you, you don't need sun screen just bug spray. And vice versa, just sun screen during the day and no bug spray. But I need both protection at the same time. Malaria (or worse) isn't as much fun as it sounds like!

How do you effectively use both? How do you apply both? Or don't? Or do something better?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
You have to drink the bug spray, only way to get it in your blood stream so they won't bite you.

Dec 10, 2005
When I was in Yellowstone, I'd apply sunscreen first, then spritz a little bug repellent on a few exposed skin areas (but not bathe in it like sunscreen) and spray a little on my clothing.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Apply sunscreen then hold a lighter in front of the bug spray and use like a flame thrower.

Dec 10, 2005
One thing to note with insect repellent - though DEET is quite effective, it can also damage plastics, so be careful about spraying it around a camera or using DEET-soaked hands to handle plastic things.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Mosquitoes usually only really come out at night, usually around 9-10 when sun is starting to go down. So apply sunscreen during the day, by the time you need bug spray the sunscreen will not really be needed anymore. If you're going right in the bush then bugs might be bad at any time of day, just apply sun screen and wait like half an hour or so before applying bug spray. Basically give the sunscreen chance to work it's way and "set" in your skin. At least in theory I imagine that would be the best bet.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I would just wear a hooded sweater. Sweater blocks bites and sun to a degree. Sweat washes off. Might die from dehydration or heat stroke but... I don't have sunscreen bleeding into my eyes? Face is fucked though.

Dec 10, 2005
Mosquitoes usually only really come out at night, usually around 9-10 when sun is starting to go down. So apply sunscreen during the day, by the time you need bug spray the sunscreen will not really be needed anymore. If you're going right in the bush then bugs might be bad at any time of day, just apply sun screen and wait like half an hour or so before applying bug spray. Basically give the sunscreen chance to work it's way and "set" in your skin. At least in theory I imagine that would be the best bet.
There are mosquitoes and other biting bugs at all times of the day. Different species prefer different times.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Sunscreen causes deet to be absorbed much faster. If you happen to be a hairless mouse, you might want to think twice about combining the two.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...40916/bug-spray-sunscreen-may-not-be-good-mix

In the study, reported in the August issue of Drug Metabolism and Disposition, researchers tested the effects of applying a standard 20% DEET solution vs. a 10% DEET solution plus sunscreen on hairless mice.

Although standard 20% DEET took 30 minutes to penetrate the skin, the DEET plus sunscreen was detectible in the skin in as little at 5 minutes, even though it contained half as much DEET as the standard solution.

The study also showed that once the DEET penetrated the skin, it was absorbed 3.4 times faster in the combination DEET and sunscreen than with the standard 20% DEET solution.

-KeithP

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
6e03a6fb-b56a-49d1-a958-ed7b9cbd2886.jpg

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Honestly, use mesh clothing (wear a hat UNDER the mesh, to keep it loose or find one with a hat included) and cheap/lightweight white clothing treated with permethrin. You could then still wear sunscreen on your exposed skin areas. Do NOT get deet anywhere near the mesh, it will melt. If you want combination protection after applying permethrin to your clothing, you can use 20% picaradin spray on the mesh (safe on synthetics like polyester).

Example of mesh clothing (Could, but not necessary to get mesh pants too. Use half/knee high socks):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L20T5K/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Edit: The hat in this one doesn't appear to be included, you do want a hat though (with a stiff brim to support the mesh)...or find mesh with a hat built in.

Example of cheap lightweight white shirt/pants:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hanes-Men-s-Nano-T-Long-Sleeve-Tee/33441720
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dickies-1953WH-28-30-Mens-White-Drill-Painters-Pant-28-30/35943260

Permethrin example:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
Applied to clothing/shoes/socks before you wear it, and lasts through a few washings (can apply again after 4-5 washes).

Example good 20% Picaradin spray NO DEET:
https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produ...9378787&sr=8-1&keywords=Sawyer+Picaridin+6+oz
https://www.amazon.com/Natrapel-Mosquito-Repellent-Continous-6-ounce/dp/B002SP75D0
Apply to the mesh with it off, just lay it flat somewhere and spray over it (should get through the mesh to hit both sides at once) each day.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I think the odds of actually getting a disease off mosquitoes is super slim. Just stay away from the dirty 3rd world countries where people poop anywhere and don't believe in sanitation. That's where the real issues are.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

wtf do u not understodd about sunscreen w/bug repellant?

LOVE this!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh totally side note, we tried something the other day at the camp fire, take those drink trays you get at places like Tim Horton's and McDonald's and rip them in smaller pieces, like 4. Light them on fire just like you would light a mosquito pic. You don't want it to have flames, just a bit of orange glow. Then set these all around the area, it will actually repell them because of the smoke it creates.

Will look like you're totally toking up because of all the smoke around you and your eyes will start to burn after a while, but no mosquitoes!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
^Those trays probably use recycled paper which has plastic and other synthetic materials mixed in. Not sure how great an idea it is to burn that stuff and inhale the fumes.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
^Those trays probably use recycled paper which has plastic and other synthetic materials mixed in. Not sure how great an idea it is to burn that stuff and inhale the fumes.

Oh it probably is terrible, but it's either that or having to deal with thousands of mosquitoes attacking from every angle. :awe: Not any worse than all the pollution in the air especially when you go to big cities.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Oh it probably is terrible, but it's either that or having to deal with thousands of mosquitoes attacking from every angle. :awe: Not any worse than all the pollution in the air especially when you go to big cities.

if u prefer deet, u can buy deet with built in sun screen (spf 15).
look in walmart's hunting section

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I never had much success from DEET. Bugs typically will bite me last if I'm in a group of people for some reason.

I just don't like the idea of wearing liquid insecticide or breathing vaporized insecticide. I'll take my chances with the mosquitos ;)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
if u prefer deet, u can buy deet with built in sun screen (spf 15).
look in walmart's hunting section

I find bug spray barely works for me, it helps, but once they're out by the 100's it's barely effective and seems the only way is to really smoke up the area.. Not sure if the one I use has DEET or something else as active ingredient though, I usually use Muskol or whatever is in the store.

I want to try that box fan trick though, you take a box fan, put some kind of net or filter after it, and it will suck them through and they get caught in the net. From that point you can either spray them with something or just let them be, they'll eventually dehydrate. I imagine a marine battery and decent size inverter would run one for a decent amount of hours.

Could also go smaller scale and just have a few computer fans suck them through a bug zapper style grid. If you have a bunch of small devices of this nature you can just have them all around the camp fire under the chair or near your head. They tend to like attacking the legs and head the most it seems.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
A properly-applied sunscreen will be a thick layer over your skin (most people apply way, way too little sunscreen). So thick that it will mask the mosquito repellant. So most health websites like the CDC suggest the sunscreen first, then the mosquito repellant.

Plus, that mirrors how you should apply it anyways. Sunscreen needs a half hour to start working, while DEET works right away. So, you should apply sunscreen well before getting outside and then DEET just as you get outside.

Finally, DEET is a vapor-based repellent. DEET confuses the mosquito's sensors. They only need the vapor near them to get confused. You don't need to actually apply DEET to the skin (your clothing works quite well for that purpose). So, I like sunscreen on the skin and DEET on the clothing. Once a mosquito is on your skin, you've likely lost that battle and DEET there won't do you any good.

That said, I highly recommend seeing a travel nurse. Get your malaria pills and any vaccinations you probably need BEFORE getting sick. While you are there, any good travel nurse will stock you up on Permethrin. I personally don't even need DEET when wearing Permethrin treated clothing. Finally, they can stock you up with antibiotics that work in your specific destination so that when you get stomach problems, you already have the treatment handy without sitting in a 3rd world health clinic crossing your fingers.

Edit: listen to EliteRetard, he knows his stuff on this topic.

Last edited: