How to use hard drive to PCI-E power dongle?

imported_nigor

Jan 25, 2005
I just got XFX 6800 GS video card. It requires extra power and therefore comes with a power dongle (hard drive to PCI-E power connector). I have been pulling my hair out because not one website (XFX, EVGA, Leadtek, other 6800 GS manufacturers) mention how to use the damn thing. Here is the thing, the dongle has TWO female hard-drive connectors, and one PCI-E power connector, which plugs into the video card. Why is there TWO female hard drive connectors? Am I supposed to plug two hard drive cables in there, or one at minimum, and two for the best results? Please help.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
hi there, and welcome to the forums!

for HD connector, do you mean the 4 pin plugs that power the hard drives? well, if your PSU has a pci-e connector on it, you should just connect that to your video card, and if not, use that converter which came with your GS. it converts that pci-e plug into a normal standard 4 pin connector. im guessing 2 female connectors for maybe 1 for video and 1 for whatever else you took out power from...i really have no idea.

hope that helped somewhat, and dont hesitate to ask any question, dumb or smart!

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I think the PCIE line can carry more power (has more pins) than the normal molex lines, so it's split up into two molexes to even out the load. Some cards use both connectors while other cards only need one. The 7800GT works fine with one and I would think that a 6800GT would too (since the AGP ones have a single molex only), but I don't know about the rest.

The Sly Syl

Jun 3, 2005
I have two 4-pin connecters plugged into my 6800GT PCI-E 6-pin power connecter.

However, i'm mainly doing this as I have an Nforce-4 board, and i don't have a 24pin power supply. The 6800GT is a power hog, so i believe its safer this way.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
some of those dongles only have 1 4 pin connector.

i think the idea is that if you use 2 off 2 cable chains on the power supply , if the power supply has cheap wiring it will handle the amperage. i've read it has something to do with power supplies with cheap gauge of wire.