How to upgrade from 2x Eizo S1910?

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
First of all: this is no pressing issue, both my screens are still fine, and I don't really feel compelled to upgrade now.
But, for gaming, (especially DCS etc) it would be great to have a central monitor.

My priority is to get an aspect ratio as close as possible to classic 2.35:1 cinema. Don't have a TV, don't want one, and having films as big as possible is a plus.
Second priority is then obviously that it's a three-screen setup (or possibly a 16:10 30"...).
Because it is a many-screen setup, a decent software package similar to Eizo's screen manager is something I came to rely on, and wouldn't want to miss. Switching off both screens at once via IR-RC is pretty useful.
Image quality has to be top notch. No TN, no annoying ghosting - the S1910 has sufficiently low response time, so doesn't have to be any better than those. Reasonable colors, and possible to calibrate. Minimum brightness needs to be usable too, but not necessarily color perfect. AdobeRGB coverage would be great, but not 100% necessary. MJultiscreen obviously requires matte, thin bezels.

My current two ideas are:
Three Eizo S2100s in pivot for a 3600x1600 desktop. Downside: almost 900 euro per screen, and it's an almost ten year old model. Still, being actively marketed, almost scared to watch it disappear, as it is probably the best upgrade path.
Adding one 27" 1920x1200 center screen, getting a mullti screen stand, and pivoting the two aging 1910s to the left and right. Downside: 27 inchers often have huuuge bezels, and the Eizo model has disappeared off the market a year or two ago. Also, requires a separate foot.

..and there's always the "cheap but classy" option of a single 30". Downside: Size and weight, and all the 30" idiosyncracies such as noise, fans, etc.

Probably the best idea is to wait for 4k S-PVA panels to appear and get a 36" 4K 2.35:1....Don't expect that to be cheaper than the three 21"ers.

Thankful for any input, even if it just calls me out for an idiot ;)