How to transfer Android Chrome Bookmarks to Android Firefox without using any online serivce?

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
I want to swithc to Firefox on my Android device and would like to export all Android/Chrome bookmarks to a file and them import them into Android/Firefox. I could not find any options to export/import bookmarks from Chrome or Firefox on android. I do not want to use any online features to upload bookmarks only to download to another browser, I want to do this locally without messing with root user of the device.

If this is totally not doable is there any other browser that has built in facitlity to export/import bookmars to say an html file?

TIA

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I dont think that you can do it the way you want to. Android sandbox apps so that they cant access other apps data.
The easiest (and I know that it's not the way you want to do it) way would be to import to desktop firefox then use firefox sync to import it to the phone.

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
I dont think that you can do it the way you want to. Android sandbox apps so that they cant access other apps data.
The easiest (and I know that it's not the way you want to do it) way would be to import to desktop firefox then use firefox sync to import it to the phone.
Thanks for replying! I was wondering if there is a plugin for firefox or chrome that can achieve this. Once the plugin works in the process-context of firefox or chrome it should be able to retrieve bookmarks and store them in files that can be accessed by users. There are several backup utilities that are able to store the necessary data such as SMS messages to folders accessible to users.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Thanks for replying! I was wondering if there is a plugin for firefox or chrome that can achieve this. Once the plugin works in the process-context of firefox or chrome it should be able to retrieve bookmarks and store them in files that can be accessed by users. There are several backup utilities that are able to store the necessary data such as SMS messages to folders accessible to users.
I dont think that chrome on android supports plugins does it?

I get what your saying though. Export bookmarks to a storage folder then import them into firefox. Unfortunately it's not so simple. Can you not just cloud sync them the once then log out of the sync service?

hasu

Apr 5, 2001
I dont think that chrome on android supports plugins does it?

I get what your saying though. Export bookmarks to a storage folder then import them into firefox. Unfortunately it's not so simple. Can you not just cloud sync them the once then log out of the sync service?
That is the last resort. I am wondering why these "free" browsers make it harder for people to use their app, may be for the fear of loosing their "market" share.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That is the last resort. I am wondering why these "free" browsers make it harder for people to use their app, may be for the fear of loosing their "market" share.
I guess it's just mind set. If you're happy to do it their way its really easy. Have a google or firefox account? Then all your stuff will propagate to all your devices with pretty much no input from you. All your settings will be backed up. Itll save all your log ins and passwords. It's a great system as long as you want it to work the way it does!