Question How to test new NAS Drives before using?

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
I just bought 4x 12TB EXOS drives to put into a 4 bay Synology NAS. What tool are people using to validate the drives dont have bad sectors prior to begin using them? If possible, I need a tool that will run within the synology OS. The built in synology extended smart test is only a read, so its probably not the best/most thorough test. It also takes about 1200 minutes for each 12TB drive, so if its possible to do them all simultaneously that would be great.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
If the drives are new they are tested at the factory with professional equipment.

Just because the manufacturer tested the drive at the factory does not mean it wasnt damaged in storage or shipping.
Already 1 of the 4 new drives has failed within 10 minutes of inserting it into the NAS.
I need to make sure the drives are reliable before putting them into a production environment.

Reactions: harobikes333

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Wouldn't a hardware test utility like SeaTools work to see their health/issues? I don't use drives for NAS purposes, but I've used SeaTools several times over the last few years to find confirm the Seagate drives were dying.

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

I guess my issue is, how do I install it and run it ON the synology? Its not in the package store.
I dont have a windows desktop that I can just plug the drives into in order to run the Seagate Tools on.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I need to make sure the drives are reliable before putting them into a production environment.

It'll take quite a while, but making a temporary single partition on the entire drive, and then doing a full format gives it a very good workout.

If it survives, it's trustworthy. As much as a HDD can be that is.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I dont have a windows desktop that I can just plug the drives into in order to run the Seagate Tools on.
Well then. That's a problem. Most NAS units do NOT have super-robust HDD testing / cleaning functionality. (Although QNAP added support for Seagate's "IronWolf Health Management" support in their NAS units, but I assume that requires those particular drives to function.)

Reactions: Muadib

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Maybe try changing the RAID type a few times, otherwise I think you are stuck with putting each drive first in a PC and running a diagnostic program.