how to test if OC CPU is Stable

zcpu

Mar 20, 2007
i have Intel Q6600, Asus P5W-DH Deluxe, Corsair Dominator 2GB Ram and RGB 7950 VGA

now i OC my CPU to 3.0 by Increase the the FSB to 333 but the multiplier still 9

MY QUESTION is

1. will this make my cpu break or my motherboard break
2. how to test the Stability of my System. I have Run Prime 95 for at least 4 hours and stable but come to run some application for example restoration DATA and i choose using MAX Performace on that software somehow it restart my PC inthe middle of the process.Does it mean my PC not stable and how to make it stable?
currently im using INTEL Stock FAN

or should i increase my CPU Voltageis 1.26 its set to default

please need an advise

thanks

graysky

Mar 8, 2007
1. As long as your temps are manageable you should be fine. I know people who have been o/c'ing their CPUs since day 1 and 5 years later they are still running fine. You run into trouble when you start increasing your voltage, I would suggest that you leave it stock. Good cooling is also a big plus for longevity. What are your temps?

2. Read this thread.

If you're stressing your system to the point of a random reboot you're not stable. I would be interested to see what your temps are (again see that thread) and if they're too hot. I would recommend that you ditch that stock heatsink/fan and get something that can better dissipate the heat those 4 cores are producing. I'm planning to get a thermalright ultra-120 + Sflex SFF21F 1600 RPM fan for it when I build the q6600 system I'm planning once the price cuts hit next month.

On a related topic, would you be interested in running a benchmark of your 9x333 quad system? I started a topic here and we have some folks with q6700 overclocked, but no q6600s. I took the test files off the server since more than 2 weeks went by without a new person downloading them, but I can put them back if you'll give it a go.

zcpu

Mar 20, 2007
could you please tell me what is the reasonable Temp

currently my temp idle is 49 - 55C but when it LOAD sometimes 65C -74C

i got this reading from asus pc probe II

thanks

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Just play Solitaire for 24 hours. If you shut down before the CPU, then its stable...:D

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: zcpu
could you please tell me what is the reasonable Temp

currently my temp idle is 49 - 55C but when it LOAD sometimes 65C -74C

i got this reading from asus pc probe II

thanks
You want to keep your load temps under 60C at all times for max stability.

You should look into a better heatsink/fan for your CPU. The Tuniq Tower and Thermaltake Ultra 120(with a good strong fan) are good choices.