How to test for input lag from playing vsync or borderless window mode?

tracerit

Nov 20, 2007
I have a dual monitor setup and play Overwatch. I like to play in bordereless window mode but hear it increases the input lag.

Is there a method that the casual gamer can use to measure it?

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Bordlerless windowed mode has its own form of v-sync. I'm not sure how it differs, but v-sync causes some input lag in many situations, so it would make sense that Borderless windowed mode would also cause some input lag.

As far as testing it, I'm not sure you can easily. Blurbusters uses high speed cameras to test.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
This probably wont answer your question but it might help. First of all input lag is a misnomer, it's not latency on input that's the problem, Vsync is a latency on processing/output. 2nd of all it's really not easy to measure in software alone, measuring true latecy between input and output can only really be done with cameras watching the monitor and input devices.

One thing to keep in mind is that with windows from Vista onwards the desktop has vsync enabled and some games in window mode may conform to a type of vsync because of this, I'm not 100% sure how this works but I think for your particular problem/question that's worth investigating. Even if the 3d rendering of the game doesn't have vsync, if the desktop as a whole has it, and it's a windows inside of the desktop you may get unexpected results.

Hopefully someone can elaborate on this.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
You don't really need to measure it, play it with alternate settings and just feel the difference

If you hear it increases input lag but doesn't affect you negatively it does not matter, some people are more responsive to those types of things so see what works for you.