How to tell which & how fast my 8500LE is?!?!

scarfase99

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
Ok, so i just ordered an ATI 128mb 8500LE from http://www.memorymedia.com & it said on the website ATI & 1 year ATI warranty, so i was pretty sure it's not Sapphire (which i heard suck).

SOOO, my question is, how can i determine the actual speed/memory speed of the card once i receive it. (pardon the newbie question, but this is my first vid. card upgrade in a long time)

hbkh

Sep 10, 2002
It very well could be sapphire... almost all "Built by ATi" products only come in the retail form. Secondly, the 8500Le is no longer made therefore it most likely is not a true ati product. Im guessing you either got a Sapphie or Powercolor ATI product. PowerStrip will tell you the clocks. Keep in mind that normal 8500LE's are clocked at 250/250.

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
it could be a "built by ati". they sold bulk packs that a lot of vendors (like newegg) sold or still sell. Does the built by ati drivers work with it? You can check clock speeds by installing Rage3D Tweak and going to the overclocking tab. It will be defaulted to your stock speeds.

hbkh

Sep 10, 2002
Newegg.com only sells sapphire 8500LE's.... and bulk packs a a lot of the time are powered by cards not built by. All ATi drivers will work with the card whether its an OEM or a Built by ATi card.

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by: hbkh
Newegg.com only sells sapphire 8500LE's.... and bulk packs a a lot of the time are powered by cards not built by. All ATi drivers will work with the card whether its an OEM or a Built by ATi card.

Where are you getting your information? Newegg does sell "Built by ATI" bulk pack cards (see here). I know, I have bought one. And "Built by ATI" drivers do not work (without modification) on "Powered by ATI" cards. That is why there is two seperate driver sections on ATI's web site.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i bought what was supposed to be a genuine ATI card about 3 months back... when the hot deals had that large thread on the 8500LE... it was the 64mb OEM that had DVI+TV out... it was under the ATI section on newegg so i tshould be genuine ati , right?

its defaulted at 250/275

hbkh

Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by: WarSong

Where are you getting your information? Newegg does sell "Built by ATI" bulk pack cards (see here). I know, I have bought one. And "Built by ATI" drivers do not work (without modification) on "Powered by ATI" cards. That is why there is two seperate driver sections on ATI's web site.

First off, at no point did I say that they do not exsist, hence the words a lot of the time, they do but you rmore likely to get a powered by card. Secondly, the ATi drivers do in fact work on ANY card that usees a ATi GPU, as a matter of fact I'm doing it right now! Go ahead ask anyone! Where do you get YOUR infromation from?

WarSong

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by: WarSong

First off, at no point did I say that they do not exsist, hence the words a lot of the time, they do but you rmore likely to get a powered by card. Secondly, the ATi drivers do in fact work on ANY card that usees a ATi GPU, as a matter of fact I'm doing it right now! Go ahead ask anyone! Where do you get YOUR infromation from?

Oh, and the first line of your post said "Newegg.com only sells sapphire 8500LE's.... ". I was just showing you that they do sell ATI brand 8500LE's as well.