How to tell if a Tbird is marked up?

Tbird1k

Mar 15, 2001
I have a tbird that is haveing some really bad heating problems, i've tried different things but its still very hot. Some one told me that it could be a marked up/fake chip.. I did buy it oem off e-bay. Any way i can tell if its real or fake?

grendelkhan

Jan 28, 2001
It should have the speed marked on the core of the chip, but I suppose that could be repainted/whatever also...

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
What kind of temps??? Voltage??? Heatsink??? Motherboard??? Give the info on the chip also...? And is it unlocked???

Just one last...? Was it from a dealer or private???

Tbird1k

Mar 15, 2001
My temps at start up are 55-66 after runing it for no more then half an hour it can be all the way up to 82 really fast with just a few IE windows open, these temps are celsius. My motherboard is a Gigabyte 7ZX-1. I am useing a super orb, i know its not top of the line but it should cool better then this. I'm running at 100FSB, i'm not sure of the voltage this board auto detects and i can't change it. I also think it is a March 2001 chip, on the chip it says 0301, i am right on that? If i am it seems strange cause i recieved this chip March 5th.

Sharpstick

Dec 16, 2000
where r u getting your temp's from ?? onboard temp sensor ?? if it was me i would have to verify this temp with a seperate proggy like MBM, or an independant temp sensor, the first thing i would do is get it up and running and when you think it's hot enough, shut that puppy down and stick your hand in there and touch it :) really !!! It sound's like your doing everything right, I had a bad temp probe on an Abit board that would read 50-60, but it ran ok, so i touched it first, ck'd ok....hmmmmmmm, so then i got out a multi meter and it read 38 !!!!! ... verify your temp i guess and go from there :)

my 3 cent's :p