how to take photos from above?

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i give up. how do i take photos of people lying in bed from above?
heres an example i found from google images: http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gc/20...Z2RSo5KoOdRcGDdTWWa47q4xWX4+asFQRjJwKp1JQ7ZLw

i was thinking of going to lowes and build a frame from those aluminum studs, but there's gotta be an easier way right?
the idea is to take photos of baby son sleeping in his crib. its easy to take photos of him lying on the floor, but him in the crib is so much better.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hang the camera from the ceiling, or use a ladder or a boom arm (commonly used to hold microphones out of sight above actors).

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
a ladder would probably work?

I would think that would be a great solution that would give you full control ( i.e., ability to look thru viewfinder and use your hands to snap images.

Another trial-and-error method might be using a tripod + ballhead and holding it up and over ?

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
I would think that would be a great solution that would give you full control ( i.e., ability to look thru viewfinder and use your hands to snap images.

Another trial-and-error method might be using a tripod + ballhead and holding it up and over ?

I've done the tripod hold over the model move. If you use FX with pro glass, I hope you work out. That was quite the task but got the job done, and it was very impromptu at a location shoot.

Next time I'll bring a ladder.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
While it may not fit your case, this is a good example for the benefit of a swivel LCD on the camera. You can then hold it above and away and frame the shot on the swiveled LCD.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
While it may not fit your case, this is a good example for the benefit of a swivel LCD on the camera. You can then hold it above and away and frame the shot on the swiveled LCD.

yeah, i waited forever for canon to come out with the swivel lcd. the t4i lcd swivels in every way to make shooting videos easier too

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
put a mirror above and shoot from below. with the right framing, it'll look like you're shooting from above.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
I would suggest a drone ;)

If it is just about a baby, a ladder would probably work?

Your image link does not work.

eamX6xp.gif