How to stress test a video card?

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Basically, I've mildly overclocked my 8800GTS (320MB) and want to stability-test it.

I tried using ATItool, but checking for artifacts didn't raise my GPU temps at all. I don't know any way to see how much the GPU is being utilized, other than temps.

By comparison, just playing Lost Planet raises my GPU temps to the mid-high 60s. ATItool never got it above 54C.

How can I stress test my videocard and see if it's stable? I like the overclocked settings, I was able to bump LP up to 1600x1200 instead of 1280x1024 and get similar framerates. I just worry that it's gonna lock up on me.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Jax Omen
Basically, I've mildly overclocked my 8800GTS (320MB) and want to stability-test it.

I tried using ATItool, but checking for artifacts didn't raise my GPU temps at all. I don't know any way to see how much the GPU is being utilized, other than temps.

By comparison, just playing Lost Planet raises my GPU temps to the mid-high 60s. ATItool never got it above 54C.

How can I stress test my videocard and see if it's stable? I like the overclocked settings, I was able to bump LP up to 1600x1200 instead of 1280x1024 and get similar framerates. I just worry that it's gonna lock up on me.

That's strange. Ati tool should really heat up your card if you run it long enough. I've overclocked all my cards and now my 8800 GT using Ati Tool. It never failed on me.

edit: Let the cube spin for 10 minutes or more and then do the artifact scan. That should take your card to the maximum temperature.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
Well I had it running the artifact scan for an hour, and your card is more powerful than mine, so... I dunno.

As for Crysis, yes, I do, but for some reason Lost Planet gets the GPU hotter for me.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I've played ACTUAL Crysis for more than 2 hours straight, and Lost Planet gets my GPU hotter. I don't know why.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
I guess I'll delve more deeply into Rivatuner. I haven't used it much yet.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
1st option. Play Crysis- if it's stable for a half hour your good.
2nd option. Run 'Find Max core' in ATITOOL, it will stop when it's no longer stable
3rd. Google 'Fur rendering benchmark' run that for 10mins and then ATITOOL artifact scan.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003
Well I had it running the artifact scan for an hour, and your card is more powerful than mine, so... I dunno.

As for Crysis, yes, I do, but for some reason Lost Planet gets the GPU hotter for me.

don't use artifact scan -- atitool will heat up your gpu more if you let the cube spin. just run the cube thing without artifact scan and it should do well.

i also suggest 3dmark ... loop a few of the shader tests (not the game tests) and you should get some good power draw / heat ... not sure if you cna do that on the free version though, so that may or may not help.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Shadermark gets the blower on my 3870x2 going like someone gave the hamster inside a gram of speed! :laugh:

Nafets

Oct 9, 1999
I use the Furmark stability test to heat up my 8800GT 512 to check max temperatures and overclocked stability. Atitool is fine for checking for artifacts, but doesn't come close to Furmark in stressing the card.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
It seems like anything with fur gets the heat going as the test with the fur on Shadermark is the highest in stress. Just a reminder not to rub a video card on a cat's fur - backwards. ;)

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Nafets
I use the Furmark stability test to heat up my 8800GT 512 to check max temperatures and overclocked stability. Atitool is fine for checking for artifacts, but doesn't come close to Furmark in stressing the card.

I've tested your statement right now and you seem to be right! Ati Tool is giving me 51 C and using the Furmark I've reached 56 C with my 8800 GT with the S1 on it.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Is Ruby always odd like this?

Odd is sweet, even is harsh combine the two in the same post and you have a farce. :laugh:

Fur on!