Question How to stabilize a 5950x all-core overclock? Currently 4.3Ghz at 1.281V

Machinus

Mar 28, 2006
I'm using a 5950x for simulations, keeping all the cores at the same frequency. It's on a B550 Aorus Master with a 360mm AIO cpu cooler. I'm disabling SMT and PBO. I have found a decent overclock at 4.3Ghz, using 1.281Vcore and "Normal" load-line calibration. I experimented with many different LLC settings, but I found that most of them just increased temperatures under load significantly without helping stabilize the chip. What is the right way to use LLC with a 5950x? Also, I could not find any documentation on how "Normal" and "Standard" are different, or what the percent compensation "Low" offers vs. "Medium," etc.

I'm wondering if there are other settings I can experiment with, besides vcore and llc, that can help stabilize the chip. Under the most stress (small Prime Avx 16x), the chip stays below 90C, but I feel like I haven't found the optimal frequency per voltage setting yet. Has anyone else had success with a static all-core overclock?

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
So does it shut down, have bluescreens, just lowers clocks, what's unstable.
90 is the danger temp for ryzen so mobos will downclock and do anything they have to to keep the CPU at or below that, so saying that it stays below 90 isn't telling us anything.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
At what frequency, voltage, temperature and power consumption does it run by itself, all default settings just with PBO enabled, and what values brings your manual overclock?

Machinus

Mar 28, 2006
So does it shut down, have bluescreens, just lowers clocks, what's unstable.
90 is the danger temp for ryzen so mobos will downclock and do anything they have to to keep the CPU at or below that, so saying that it stays below 90 isn't telling us anything.

I have disabled all automatic controls, so it can definitely go over 90. This is one way to determine if the voltage is too high.

I do not get any reboots or bluescreens. I occasionally get errors in small Prime when running my voltage too low for the frequency.

At what frequency, voltage, temperature and power consumption does it run by itself, all default settings just with PBO enabled, and what values brings your manual overclock?

PBO is off. I'm testing fully manual configuration.

Bclk 100
Multiplier 43
Vcore 1.281
LLC "Standard"

After running small Prime for an hour, it gets into high 80s. Any other LLC setting seems to increase temperatures at the same voltage. I'm not sure what the right approach is for so many cores.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I was just trying to say that it would be useful to have a COMPARISON of what the CPU can do by itself from factory with PBO enabled to what can you achieve with your manual overclock.

Reactions: Elfear