How to share a PC internet connection to a smartphone?

OrionMaster

Oct 21, 2014
I want to be able to send my PCs (w7) internet to a smartphone (galaxy J5 with android 6). I already followed some instructions around the internet but they only work for sharing the other way around (sending from the phone to the PC). Thats not what I want, any wireless option is completely out of the question, it has to be USB.
How to get this done?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I want to be able to send my PCs (w7) internet to a smartphone (galaxy J5 with android 6). I already followed some instructions around the internet but they only work for sharing the other way around (sending from the phone to the PC). Thats not what I want, any wireless option is completely out of the question, it has to be USB.
How to get this done?
I'm not making fun of your English (which I assume, I hope correctly, isn't your first language), but I frankly have no idea what you mean by "sending internet to your phone" via USB or any other method. Can you be more specific about what you want accomplish?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I'm not making fun of your English (which I assume, I hope correctly, isn't your first language), but I frankly have no idea what you mean by "sending internet to your phone" via USB or any other method. Can you be more specific about what you want accomplish?

It sounds like OP wants to share their wired (ethernet) internet connection over USB to their phone. Because they have little to no cell reception where they are, and little to no wifi.

OP, best solution will be to get either a wireless router, or a wireless card for your computer, and you can share your wired connection over wifi that way.

OrionMaster

Oct 21, 2014
It sounds like OP wants to share their wired (ethernet) internet connection over USB to their phone. Because they have little to no cell reception where they are, and little to no wifi.

OP, best solution will be to get either a wireless router, or a wireless card for your computer, and you can share your wired connection over wifi that way.
Yes I want to share a PC internet connection with my phone. As I said, a wireless option is COMPLETELY out of the question

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you'll be able to do it at all unless you have rooted, or are willing to root, the phone's OS to a "plain" version of Android rather than the one Samsung installs on their phones. If you do that, it shouldn't be difficult at all. The process is called "reverse tethering" and if you do a web search for "reverse tether" or "reverse tethering" with Android, you'll get many, many hits.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
I've always had Motorola's and they only work with factory cable. So if you have third party usb cable it won't tether or move data, it will charge though.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I've always had Motorola's and they only work with factory cable.
The OP has a Samsung J5;), and he needs to "reverse tether". The fundamental problem here is going to be the lack of root access if he hasn't already rooted his phone...

Reactions: Bardock

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
The phone may not be capable of that, but the way I would go about trying is to plug the phone in and enable tethering on the phone so that Windows sees it as a network connection. Then enable Internet connection sharing and choose the phone network as the port you're sharing to. Like I said, it may not be possible, but that's what I'd try.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The phone may not be capable of that, but the way I would go about trying is to plug the phone in and enable tethering on the phone so that Windows sees it as a network connection. Then enable Internet connection sharing and choose the phone network as the port you're sharing to. Like I said, it may not be possible, but that's what I'd try.
The OP wants to "reverse tether" (use the PC's network connection as if via a wired switch or router) rather than "tether" (use the phone as the modem) and I'm 99.5% sure one can't do that with the Samsung-stock version of Android his phone ships with...

are we allowed to talk about rooting here?
I have no idea if any distinction is made between discussing it as a broad concept versus providing specific details or instructions (which I think is OK too) but, unlike software/media piracy, for example, I've never seen even a suggestion that merely mentioning it as a possibility is forbidden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bardock

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
Windows 10 has built in hot spot to share your ethernet connection.

The OP said that wireless is out and he wants to use a USB wired network dongle for his Samsung device instead.

I've never even heard of a USB wired network dongle for Android devices but I suppose anything is possible.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
The OP said that wireless is out and he wants to use a USB wired network dongle for his Samsung device instead.
Actually, what he seems to want is to share a PC's Internet connection via a USB cable plugged into a computer, not a "network adapter"-type dongle to connect the phone directly to a modem or other Ethernet device. Someone posted a link to a USB-Ethernet cable that might function as the latter, but as for the former, it's definitely doable one way or the other. See, e.g., How to use PC's internet on [a rooted] Android phone through USB cable, and further down on that same page someone else mentions his (free) Google Play app which apparently works on unrooted phones. The app has a good rating with a lot of reviews, but I don't know if it'll work on the OP's specific phone, nor anything else about it, and certainly can't vouch for it: Reverse Tethering NoRoot Free.

Last edited:

Bardock

Mar 12, 2014
Mike64 said:
I have no idea if any distinction is made between discussing it as a broad concept versus providing specific details or instructions (which I think is OK too) but, unlike software/media piracy, for example, I've never seen even a suggestion that merely mentioning it as a possibility is forbidden.

Cool. Well on a lot of phones I have had luck with Towelroot, if the phone is old enough and didn't take over the air update. Give that a whirl or kingroot or check out xda. Their guides are more in depth and you might have to reflash that's why I say the one click root programs first, because flashing is a pain and can brick the phone.

I wish I could root my current phone but it took and over the air update I never clicked on, just automatically came and updated the kernel and patched the only vulnerability for the root exploit :(

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011
Actually, what he seems to want is to share a PC's Internet connection via a USB cable plugged into a computer, not a "network adapter"-type dongle to connect the phone directly to a modem or other Ethernet device. Someone posted a link to a USB-Ethernet cable that might function as the latter, but as for the former, it's definitely doable one way or the other. See, e.g., How to use PC's internet on [a rooted] Android phone through USB cable, and further down on that same page someone else mentions his (free) Google Play app which apparently works on unrooted phones. The app has a good rating with a lot of reviews, but I don't know if it'll work on the OP's specific phone, nor anything else about it, and certainly can't vouch for it: Reverse Tethering NoRoot Free.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I had no idea that wired reverse tethering was a thing given how easy and widespread wireless hotspots are. But I guess some folks need that as a solution since at least 10,000 users have tried out that app!

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Ah, thanks for the correction. I had no idea that wired reverse tethering was a thing given how easy and widespread wireless hotspots are. But I guess some folks need that as a solution since at least 10,000 users have tried out that app!
I had no idea it was a Thing either until the OP's post got me so I curious that I started looking into it (with vague a priori notion that it would turn out to be impossible, at least by ordinary means.) Offhand I really can't imagine when it would be useful so I'm hoping the OP will eventually enlighten us... (It seems to me that if a PC is connected to a locked-down network, it would also most likely have tight restrictions on what could done via USB, but that might be overthinking things...)

Last edited: