How to set up 2 vid cards?

Armageddon415

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
I have a GF3 TI200 and a PCI radeon. I want to use the ti as my main card and the radeon for tv out when I watch movies. How do I set it up so that I can use both at the same time?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
When you put the second card in, make sure that you set the primary display to be AGP in BIOS.

Within Windows, when the drivers are installed for the second card, right click on desktop and go to Properties. On Advanced tab (where you set up display resolutions etc), select the 2nd monitor that has appeared there, and check the little box that says "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor". Then, you should have a display on the Radoen :)

When it comes to watching movies, you should (hopefully ;)) be able to drag the window onto the second monitor (where the Radeon is) :)

If not then i think you should be able to just change the primary display to the Radeon

Sorry if this hasn't been any help!

Confused

Armageddon415

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2000
Hmm, only problem is that I cant get the radeon to recognize that the tv out port is being used. Do I have to plug the monitor into the radeon for it to use TV out?

mangled

Oct 19, 2000
I'm pretty positive you're screwed ;)

I tried a similar thing with a GF2 and an ATI AIW tv tuner pci card a while ago. YOu cannot use the TV tuner functions unless the ATI pci card is the primary display, meaning in your bios the ATI MUST be the primary display and not AGP. I remember reading about this on the ATI site somewhere when I was trying to do this.

It said something along the lines that if using an ATI pci tv tuner card in a dual monitor setup, that it must be set as the primary display in bios. What that will mean though, if you are a gamer, which I'm sure you are with a gf3, your games will only play on whatever card is your primary display. In this situation, that would be the ATI - which is something you obviously DON'T want. YOu can't drag games or force them to open on another monitor or videocard.

And if you leave it setup the normal way. With AGP set as primary display, and the Radeon as your secondary card. The TV tuver functions will not work. As I said, the ATI card needs to be the primary display in order for tv functions to work.

I took my ATI card back because I did not see the benefit of having TV display if my games had to be played on a pci video card.

mangled

Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Armageddon415
But I dont have the AIW, I just want the TV out to work.

Ah, well, it could be related to the same problem. If the Radeon isn't the primary display, you probably can't output video from it. Go ahead and just switch the setting in your BIOS from AGP to PCI primary display and see if it works then. However as I said, if you do that, you won't be able to play games using your gf3.