How to set AA/AF settings with ATI graphic cards?

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Uh so I set the settings in the CCC with the use application setting box unchecked with 4xAA/8xAF and none of my games have AA/AF... WTF?!

I even have AA/AF turned on in the game as well. How do you trick these drivers into doing what you want it to do?

I'm using a 5770 with drivers I downloaded off AMD's website yesterday.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
If your games have the option of AA just check the "Use Application settings" and set them in game. If there is no AA slider in game it should be forced from the CCC by unchecking 'Use application settings' and setting the slider to your desired level. You should be using the Catalyst 10.3 WHQL's or the 10.3a performance set (google it) from here . Any question use this guide here

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
So AA/AF will work if there's an AA/AF setting in game and I check the use application setting box
Most games however still do not allow you to set AA/AF settings in game and there's no way for me to get AA/AF.
WTF

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
Games running the Unreal 3 engine doesn't work with AA. There are ways to get it working, but I'm not familiar with it unfortunately. Google "Forcing AA in unreal 3" or something for more info.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
Please be more specific. What game does not have the settings that previously did. There are a few games that only Nvidia has AA in game settings.

vj8usa

Dec 19, 2005
Games running the Unreal 3 engine doesn't work with AA. There are ways to get it working, but I'm not familiar with it unfortunately. Google "Forcing AA in unreal 3" or something for more info.

Unreal engine games that have profiles in the Catalyst drivers will work properly, if you've got AI on. For other/newer UE3 games, renaming the exe to ut3.exe or bioshock.exe often works.

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
Thanks for the info guys.
How the heck do you guys use ATI cards? Everytime I get an ATI card, I get a shitload of issues and I say never again, and later after seeing everyone saying how great it is and I go give it another shot.

So many games require a bunch of random nvidia drivers like physX and nvcuda. Many games also require you trick the game to get AA/AF to work. I suppose that a lot of this isn't ATI's fault but game developers being stupid with making their games widely compatible.

AA isn't working in SC2 beta. AA looks like shit in NFS:shift, even with supersampling. The car edges are great but the reflections are all jagged.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
How the heck do you guys use ATI cards? Everytime I get an ATI card, I get a shitload of issues and I say never again, and later after seeing everyone saying how great it is and I go give it another shot.

So many games require a bunch of random nvidia drivers like physX and nvcuda. Many games also require you trick the game to get AA/AF to work. I suppose that a lot of this isn't ATI's fault but game developers being stupid with making their games widely compatible.

AA isn't working in SC2 beta. AA looks like shit in NFS:shift, even with supersampling. The car edges are great but the reflections are all jagged.

1. SC2 and AA doesn't work with Nvidia or ATI at the moment.
2. What do you mean by 'reflections' ? AA on shadows requires jittered sampling which the devs have to implement and they haven't on NFS- same with Nvidia or ATI. Devs also need to code for alpha to coverage sampling on static geometry, but you can use transperancy AA in the mean time (It's there in the CCC).

These are not problems with ATI but problems between keyboard and chair.

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009

I had some issues as well when switching to ATi. A few quirks that took a while to beat down, however the reason I have stayed can easily be summed up: eyefinity.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

ATi is rough around the edges. But I found not installing CCC helped a lot.