Question How to run SPEC CPU 2017 on ARM platforms?

mammothzhe

Jan 11, 2020
Hi all,

I'm a fresh user of SPEC 2017 and just run the benchmark on X86 platforms. Recently I want to run the benchmark on ARM platforms such as mobile phones or edge devices.

I find that Anandtech has run SPEC 2006 on mobile phones successfully but there seems no tutorials to teach people how to do that.

"You need to port the benchmarks over to Android/iOS as well as create a new runtime harness. " Andrei. said in https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/specint-2017-scores-for-arm-cores-a76-a72-a57etc.2562503/. However, I still feel confused.

Could anyone give me some guidance or information on how to do this?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Might want to ask in the programming forum; that being said, there are alternatives.

If you're running Android, you can use various tools to create a Linux command-line environment that hooks directly into the Android kernel (it's Linux, after all). Then you can install any compiler you like that's available from repos and compile from source. One such tool is USerLand:

It's available on the Play Store, and it does not require rooting the phone.

Reactions: teejee

mammothzhe

Jan 11, 2020
Might want to ask in the programming forum; that being said, there are alternatives.

If you're running Android, you can use various tools to create a Linux command-line environment that hooks directly into the Android kernel (it's Linux, after all). Then you can install any compiler you like that's available from repos and compile from source. One such tool is USerLand:

It's available on the Play Store, and it does not require rooting the phone.

Thank you for your advice. I will try it!

name99

Sep 11, 2010
It'll be tough to run the full suite of SPEC2017 on an ARM device for memory reasons. The speed suite contains many configs that require over 6GB, going up to around 15GB.
It's also unclear (to be honest) that you'll learn much of interest compared to SPEC2006.

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
It'll be tough to run the full suite of SPEC2017 on an ARM device for memory reasons. The speed suite contains many configs that require over 6GB, going up to around 15GB.
The trick is to use SPECrate with a single instance.

It's also unclear (to be honest) that you'll learn much of interest compared to SPEC2006.
Yeah, but if he wants to learn, he can as well use the latest version.

vlarc

Banned
Jan 26, 2020
I supplanted the CPU cooler and moronically neglected to perceive what it was running at previously. It presently gets as hot as 50 cel (yet for the most part, out of gear is at 40). Is that alright?

Much obliged!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I supplanted the CPU cooler and moronically neglected to perceive what it was running at previously. It presently gets as hot as 50 cel (yet for the most part, out of gear is at 40). Is that alright?

Much obliged!

Um.

On an ARM chip? Which one?

fpiednoel

Feb 16, 2020
Hi all,

I'm a fresh user of SPEC 2017 and just run the benchmark on X86 platforms. Recently I want to run the benchmark on ARM platforms such as mobile phones or edge devices.

I find that Anandtech has run SPEC 2006 on mobile phones successfully but there seems no tutorials to teach people how to do that.

"You need to port the benchmarks over to Android/iOS as well as create a new runtime harness. " Andrei. said in https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/specint-2017-scores-for-arm-cores-a76-a72-a57etc.2562503/. However, I still feel confused.

Could anyone give me some guidance or information on how to do this?

Thanks a lot!
To be able to run spec 2017, you need more memory than what most phone can do, If I remember well, it is 2 Gigs per thread ... if you have 8 cores ... that is a lot ....

Francois