How To Rip Blu-rays To .MKV

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
I want to know how can i rip Blu-rays and 3D Blu-rays to make a MKV to store on my HDD so its all on my HTPC for easy viewing instead of having to switch out disc

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
How good a quality do you need???
For a 100% quality you run mkvtoolnix extract and run mmg.exe push add and navigate to your blueray BDMV\STREAM folder add the first m2ts,the others should be added automatically,note the output filename and push start muxing.

If you dont have THAT much space and need to make your mkv be smaller files, use Free make Video Converter ,push all to mkv, push the little gear icon to get into options, the size(and quality) depends heavily on the bitrate so experiment a little to see what's good for you,do it on a little clip,or just cancel after a minute or so and watch the uncompleted movie,an other important option is the dual pass which will take about twice the time but will have much better quality...

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
How good a quality do you need???
For a 100% quality you run mkvtoolnix extract and run mmg.exe push add and navigate to your blueray BDMV\STREAM folder add the first m2ts,the others should be added automatically,note the output filename and push start muxing.

If you dont have THAT much space and need to make your mkv be smaller files, use Free make Video Converter ,push all to mkv, push the little gear icon to get into options, the size(and quality) depends heavily on the bitrate so experiment a little to see what's good for you,do it on a little clip,or just cancel after a minute or so and watch the uncompleted movie,an other important option is the dual pass which will take about twice the time but will have much better quality...

want the best quality and i have about 2.5TBs of space

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Then go for mkvtoolnix,you might also need a program like anydvdHD if the bluerays are protected.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
If the programs i mentioned wont work or give you error messages, you'll know... ;)

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
The vast majority of Blu Rays are protected. I personally use MakeMKV to rip my blu rays.

Zxian

May 26, 2011
Free MakeMKV guide located over at my blog/guides: http://assassinhtpcblog.com/

That's what I recommend (for "backing up" only personal/homemade blurays of course).

:thumbsup:

This is what I do. I've been debating compressing the videos with x264 (qc=19 or so, ends up being about 18GB for 1080p with full audio), but I'll probably just do that on a per-movie basis when I know I'm going to be going on a trip and can't afford to spare 30-50GB per movie on my external.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
What are the currently recommended optical drives to rip my blu-rays to hard drive?

psfc_yojimbo

Aug 5, 2012
What are the currently recommended optical drives to rip my blu-rays to hard drive?

Seconded for answer. I'm in the market and I'm just browsing top rated at Newegg and I see this Asus has a $20 rebate right now. Would this just be for burning only or could I use this on my HTPC to watch Blu-rays as well as rip?

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
My internet research indicates that LiteOn IHBS 112 (http://www.myce.com/review/liteon-ihbs112-bd-rewriter-review-32890/#.UPThy45u4QI) really good, though reviews are fom 2010 and don't know if current 04 revision has same chip as what reviews had.

Another comment I read is that LG are rip locked, Lite On's used to max out at 6x for dl rips, while the Pioneer 207 maxed out at 8x.

Now there is a Pioneer 208 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER), but don't know much about it (chip, rip lock or crippled firmware, for example)?

vertika

Jan 11, 2013
mkvtoolnix
Video Converter
can help to rip a blu-ray, Change to .mkv or .mp4 at the bottom. Subtitle If you need subtitles you must convert the Blu-ray sup to srt.